U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 PM

138 posts, read 705,226 times

Advertisements

What are your impressions of the High Point area? Is it safe or is crime a big factor? Is there much to do? We're young but aren't into the party scene. We do like theater, museums, dining out, sporting events, etc. What's the local economy like?

Thanks for any input. We're considering a move within the next year.

- Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Anybody from the Triad with info on High Point? Anybody? (Sorry for bumping my own thread)

Old 06-17-2006, 03:33 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,494 times
Default Impressions

I always try to be honest on this board, so here goes -- High Point isn't a very desirable place to live, unless you're talking about north High Point. I work in HP near downtown and am very familiar with the area.

HP is an old industrial town (Home Furnishings Capital of the World) with a heavy reliance on manufacturing. There are some white collar and professional industries, however, moving into north HP (Highway 68 area south of I-40), including pharma.

Let me talk about the non-north HP area first. It is a sad contrast of lifestyles - there are some extremely wealthy people in HP, and some extremely poor people. The Emerywood area is "old money", which in the south means debutantes and families that try their darndest not to marry outside of other old money families. That small part of town is surrounded by a lot of blighted areas - it's almost like an island, really.

HP's downtown is relatively large for a town its size, but its mostly furniture showrooms and exhibition centers. There is an arts center downtown that actually has some good perfromances throughout the year, which is one bright spot.

HP still relies on the furniture industry for a lot of its economy - without going into too much detail, let's just say that although some people are still making good money in that business, there is a pessimistic mood in HP from what I've seen. Again, I can give you examples of companies and people still making lots of money, but as a whole I don't see this area booming again like it did years ago.

HP has a lot of crime due to its poverty. The schools absolutely stink. Unless you live in Emerywood (which is expensive), there aren't that many other great areas in which to live.

Having said all that, there are a couple of bright spots. First of all, nearby Davidson and Randolph counties have some nice rural areas with better schools and a better living environment.

Also, north High Point (which I define as the area around Oak Hollow Lake and north of there) is your traditional suburbia. Lots of new subdivisions, plenty of nearby shopping, including a new stadium seating theatre (Palladium). North High Point was all farmland at one point - and there are still some rural areas - so I call it a "bright point" while others may not.

North High Point is convenient to everywhere in the Triad - HP, Greensboro, even Winston-Salem - so it has experienced a lot of growth. Most people in north HP probably don't even work in HP but elsewhere in the Triad. Since it is a central location, you would have access to the sporting events, shopping, restaurants, etc in GSO, W-S, and HP.

There have been 2 recent controversies in north HP that you should be aware of:

1) New FedEx facility - FedEx is opening a large east-coast distribution center at the airport, and parts of north HP will be in the "noise cone". We'll see if the airplane noise is as bad as some of the detractors say it will be.
2) School zones - this has actually been the primary controversy. North HP is zoned for a good high school (SW Guilford H.S.), but there has been constant rezoning, policy changes, etc with this area and now some kids are being bussed to the underachieving high schools elsewhere in HP (HP Central and Andrews). Who knows what policies will change next year as far as zoning is concerned.

There you have it, warts and all.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:51 PM

312 posts, read 1,740,926 times
We're from FL and we were told by our relatives that High Point is a great place to live, so we checked it out by driving there. To our disappointment, it's not what we had pictured in our mind.

It's hilly places, old houses, no shopping centers, and no high wage jobs there. It's not what we're looking for. We ended up liking Raleigh area to meet our needs.

You have to drive there to check it out yourself. Everybody have a different opinion.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:05 PM

Thank you both for your input!

Old 06-17-2006, 06:39 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,185,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
HP still relies on the furniture industry for a lot of its economy - without going into too much detail, let's just say that although some people are still making good money in that business, there is a pessimistic mood in HP from what I've seen.
Yeah, well, with Broyhill closing its plant in Lenoir, laying off 700 people, the furniture industry in this state is going the way of the textiles. Sad, too, because some really fine quality furniture has come out of this state. doG knows what kind of cheap stuff will be produced in China, or wherever the plant is relocated

Old 06-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Default High Point's economy

JAS ...

Is there a feeling that the local economy in High Point is headed toward tough times? Are a lot of the manufacturing jobs leaving HP? I've read about Market and about Vegas starting furniture shows as well, but it doesn't seem to have had too much of an effect yet (at least from what I read on the N&O website).

It's good to hear about the local downtown theatre. Are there many entertainment options in Greensboro & W-S?

I've also read good things about Kernersville .... but is it growing too fast??

Thanks again for any input. We're really exploring our options right now.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,494 times
Default private message

mdswines - please check your privtae messages -- I sent you one about kernersville, and another about things to do in the Triad. I thought of a couple of other things to do that I left off the list, but I think you'll get the point.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Yeah, well, with Broyhill closing its plant in Lenoir, laying off 700 people, the furniture industry in this state is going the way of the textiles. Sad, too, because some really fine quality furniture has come out of this state. doG knows what kind of cheap stuff will be produced in China, or wherever the plant is relocated
I do believe that's what I read, they will be manufacturing out of Asia. Can't remember but another plant in NC was shutting down and moving production to Mexico.

A great show to watch on the travel channel is John Ratzenburger's, Made in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point