U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

Finally moving back to NC after being in Atlanta for the past 9 years; we're originally from Eastern NC, looking forward to the Piedmont/Triad area so much. Please tell me there's no red clay in the area...!

We're a family of 4, (myself, wife, daughter, great dane), and looking to settle a little south or west of W-S...will be working about 2 miles S of I-40, off of Hwy 52.

We're a little "outdoorsy" and want a bit of country around us, but a good restaurant and a big screen TV w/ surround sound are just as important.
In a nutshell, city shopping and a gourmet coffee in the morning, then going out to the woods "and shootin' stuff" in the afternoon would constitute a good day in my book.

Just curious if Tom-A-Lex to Clemmons would be a good place to start looking. So much good info in these threads...true thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Riproc View Post
Finally moving back to NC after being in Atlanta for the past 9 years; we're originally from Eastern NC, looking forward to the Piedmont/Triad area so much. Please tell me there's no red clay in the area...!

We're a family of 4, (myself, wife, daughter, great dane), and looking to settle a little south or west of W-S...will be working about 2 miles S of I-40, off of Hwy 52.

We're a little "outdoorsy" and want a bit of country around us, but a good restaurant and a big screen TV w/ surround sound are just as important.
In a nutshell, city shopping and a gourmet coffee in the morning, then going out to the woods "and shootin' stuff" in the afternoon would constitute a good day in my book.

Just curious if Tom-A-Lex to Clemmons would be a good place to start looking. So much good info in these threads...true thanks for your input.
Those 3 areas are in 2 different counties.

Thomasville & Lexington are in Davidson County...more rural

Clemmons is in Forsyth County...more Upscale & better schools & more conveniences

From what you described above...I would choose Clemmons. It has everything you need and in my opninion better schools too. Clemmons is also only about 10 minutes from the Hanes Mall area of Winston-Salem and that area of town has everything you need. Taxes will be higher in Clemmons than the other 2 mentioned...but remember you always get what you pay for. The rural areas of Davidson County are OK...don't get me wrong...the above stated is my opinion though. You will not be allowed to shoot at things in Clemmons though (as mentioned above)...so if that is what you are looking for...choose Davidson County.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Those 3 areas are in 2 different counties.

Thomasville & Lexington are in Davidson County...more rural

Clemmons is in Forsyth County...more Upscale & better schools & more conveniences

From what you described above...I would choose Clemmons. It has everything you need and in my opninion better schools too. Clemmons is also only about 10 minutes from the Hanes Mall area of Winston-Salem and that area of town has everything you need. Taxes will be higher in Clemmons than the other 2 mentioned...but remember you always get what you pay for. The rural areas of Davidson County are OK...don't get me wrong...the above stated is my opinion though. You will not be allowed to shoot at things in Clemmons though (as mentioned above)...so if that is what you are looking for...choose Davidson County.

GOOD LUCK!

Sweet, sweet...just the kind of info I'm searching for...thanks so much.
Hope this question isn't too broad, but, is there much difference between the area's just outside W-S...for instance, King and Rural Hall compared to Mocksville and that area? (those area's mentioned just from strictly looking at a map...)

Old 01-14-2009, 11:13 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Riproc View Post
Sweet, sweet...just the kind of info I'm searching for...thanks so much.
Hope this question isn't too broad, but, is there much difference between the area's just outside W-S...for instance, King and Rural Hall compared to Mocksville and that area? (those area's mentioned just from strictly looking at a map...)
Not to broad of a question. Depends on what you are truely looking for. If you are more of a city person & want to around like individuals I would choose either Clemmons, Winston-Salem, Kernersville.

Mocksville is in a county (Davie) with only 1 high school that is over crowded and the locals put more emphasis on sports than education and the people are not that open or accepting of people raised outside their little area. My parents & brother & his family live in Bermuda Run West...in Advance East of Mocksville closer to Clemmons(and they are outsiders...trust me we know)...but choose to send their kids to Forsyth County schools for a better education.

If you are just solely looking for lower taxes...you really need to do some rersearch on schools if that is of importance to you.

I don't know alot about the Northern area of Winston-Salem so I can't comment on Rural Hall or King...I grew up in Clemmons and my parents & brother & his family have since moved to Advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point