Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times

Advertisements

Epic fail?

I have to say I was a big fan of the Warthogs, and I hated that they saw the need to change the team name from Warthogs to... the Dash? Huh??? What a stupid name!

So from the start I had a bad taste in my mouth about this whole deal. Now we find that the stadium cost estimates were a wee bit low...from $22 million to over $40 million! They only missed by about 100%. Who's crunching these numbers anyway? I mean, how do you miss it that badly?

So now the city is pretty much stuck. Do nothing and end up with a deserted, half-finished ball park that would be next to impossible to sell, or pony up the additional money to make it happen.

I'm not so much opposed to a new park--I think the thought of a downtown stadium is exciting, and it should bring much renewal to the surrounding area. But I don't like the way this whole thing has been handled. It seems it's been shoved down our throats without much transparency about what's really going on. And I don't even live in the city limits, so it's not even my tax money I'm mad about...if I did live in the city, I'd probably be really angry!

Regardless, if and when the thing is finally completed, I think the team mgmt will have a lot of work to do to win back the fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM

109 posts, read 389,251 times
Let's just focus on getting it done and stop all of the negative bickering. I have never seen so many negative people in one city.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
That's right, lets all jump in and help so W-S can stop envying Grasshopper's stadium.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Sorry Elm, but you don't just bowl over the taxpayers to the tune of $20 million in cost overruns without expecting a lot of negativity. It just comes with the territory, especially when we've had so much economic bad news lately. When people are losing their jobs all around us, I think it's a legitimate question to ask why the city is basically being forced to bankroll a guy who's already worth millions.

The issue is not just about "getting it done" (although I do believe it has to be done), but it's about accountability, transparency, and good stewardship of public funds. We must understand how and why this fiasco happened in order to prevent such things in the future, otherwise we're bound to repeat it.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 PM

112 posts, read 290,369 times
well said, arbyunc. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger baseball fan than me, and i would LOVE to have a new stadium. But i didn't buy it at the outset that public money/lending was needed. And i don't buy it now that the ONLY way to salvage this is by even more city involvement and more taxpayer money at risk.

you're also right that the process and the transparency here has been abysmal.

p.s. don't forget that as soon as the city approved the original plans and ponied up the funds, Billy Prim decided he needed a giant water bottle in the outfield, promoting of course his other business venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point