U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM

13 posts, read 20,132 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are relocating to North Carolina for his job. We have 2 children 5 and 2 years old. We currently live in Minneapolis, MN (can't wait to get out of the below zero temps). Any advice on where to move Charlotte or Greensboro? My husband will be working out of the home and he travels often so we need to be somewhat near an airport. What are the schools like in Greensboro and surrounding areas?

Last edited by a_running4it; 01-19-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM

109 posts, read 351,326 times
Charlotte and Greensboro are nothing a like. Charlotte is a big city of almost 700,000. Greensboro is around 250,000. Greensboro is a large suburban city with a small Mayberry like downtown. If you like big city feel with major shopping and all the extras, then Charlotte; however the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area have alot to offer.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

The schools in Greensboro or the Guilford County School system is excellent and comes very highly rated. . Let me know if you have any other questions about the Piedmont/Triad.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-16-2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: the post in reference has been deleted

Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Thanks! My husband will be flying often, but also traveling via car more so. Schools are the most improtant to us since we have two small children. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM

381 posts, read 683,715 times
consider winston salem. (WEST) next to greensboro. 23 minutes to GSO
78 minutes to CLT . I am a pilot and I drive to both a gazillion times a year.

winston is a great family city. small town feel. great schools, even public. I live in old winston where Real Estate is strong. they built 2 new houses on my street. tore an old one down. new family from Atlanta just moved in.
has a 18 month old. the street is a dead end. kids play in the street.

I am a native , so I am a little biased.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM

Good points everyone, thank you!!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM

I have lived in Greensboro for 5 years now. My previous address was in Southside. I sold 2 years ago and currently live in a loft apartment on Davie Street so I am extremely familiar with downtown Greensboro. I love Greensboro and have really enjoyed living downtown these past 5 years. Burgerboi likes to think downtown Greensboro is a mini-Atlanta and that one day soon there will be a mass of new skyscrappers going up. Downtown Greensboro is a great entertainment district and has a lot of charm and character with a small town feel. The reason I said Mayberry is because everyone likes Mayberry. I also think Winston-Salem has a great downtown with tons of potential. I recommend anyone new to the area to visit both cities because they each have a lot to offer. I don't think one is better than the other, but I do think downtown Winston has a lot more potential than downtown Greensboro simply because of the location and infrastructure that is already in place. Burgerboi, you need to grow up and stop whinning about which city is the best or biggest. If living in a real urban city with many skyscrappers is that important to you then move to NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, or San Francisco, but seriously downtown Greensboro is not a mini-Atlanta by far. I apologize if I have hit a sensitive nerve of yours, it was not my intention.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 10,183 times
My Husband and I have 6 children ages: 15,12,11,7,5, and 18 months. We are both transplants from other states and we are very big on family and education. We have lived in Summerfield for 10 years now and we LOVE it!!! Summerfield is a small town about 10-20 minutes North West of Greensboro. It has all the benifits of living in the country and the benifits of quick access to all of Greensboro or Winston-Salem's amenities. It is very close to the Triad International Airport and the schools are excellent! We coulden't be happier and neither could our children.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 15,043 times
Default Moving to North Carolina

Hi there and good for you on your move. This might be getting to you late but I hope it helps you out. I grew up in the midwest and I can't tell you how much I love living in North Carolina. I can't speak for Winston-Salem area, I have only driven through the city. As for the Charlotte area the city itself has a metro feel to it. It is very classy, clean and safe. Truely one of the best cities I have ever been in. If you get out of the city twenty to thirty minutes you can find more of a small town feel. I live in Huntersville around Lake Norman. If you are looking for some of the best schools then you should consider Davidson or just north of us is Mooresville. It is also near I-77, one of our major infrastructures for a quick drive. This area offers so much and is a great place to live. By the way the weather is awesome here, you get all four seasons but the winter is very mild and short.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-12-2009 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with Terms of Service.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,202,539 times
I am coming to visit Greensboro area in about three weeks We are also considering a move in the future and I am torn between Charlotte, Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Looking for sort of urban area since I am very sick of my rural NH adress I would love to be able to walk my dog to coffee shops instead of to totally nowhere which is now or just snow ice and uggg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point