U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,046 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Although, I did not live in your immediate area of question, I did move to Western North Carolina (Asheville / Hendersonville area) in the 80's. At the time I was single, in my early 30's and loved every minute of it. Believe it or not, I even loved the long period of time I was unemployed and NO, I didn't live off the government / tax payers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Unfortunately, my time in HEAVEN ON EARTH was brief (only 2 years), when my family (back in Massachusetts) called on me for help. Giving my help would require me to move back to Massachusetts and so I did, and in nearly every way I regretted it ever since.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As far as Western North Carolina goes, I do not agree with the previous poster that NC cost of living is about the same as in MA. I suppose, maybe it is in Winston Salem, but it's definitely not in Western North Carolina. Yes, to buy a house was unbelievably cheaper, but rent was about the same. Cost of groceries, gas, etc. is so much more expensive. It was much like living on Cape Cod or the Islands. Everything had to be shipped in to the mountains, causing the prices to rise. In the recent skyrocketing of gas prices around the country, the Asheville area exceeded $5.00/gallon (when you could actually find a station that had any supply). MA never got near $5.00[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The weather was great, storms were intense (yes, I consider storms great too) and I never considered it too hot. I tend to hate summers, here in MA (way too HOT), but don’t remember any issues with NC heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The natives (obviously, it will never be all of them, no matter where you live) were the best. Very friendly and welcoming! I still remain in regular contact with nearly every friend I made during my time there and visit them often. Not one of them would consider allowing me to stay in a Bed and Breakfast or Hotel while I am there, which is what I did for vacation the year before I moved down (because I knew no one).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I guess you’re going to have to just experience it, to know if you will really like it (although I can’t imagine ANYONE disliking it).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hoping to go back to stay, one day.[/SIZE]

Last edited by Return Was A Mistake; 02-07-2009 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: original exposed all the formatting codes???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,046 times
Previous post was my 1st attempt at posting and I have no idea what caused all the formatting to show.

It will be interesting to see if this post also exposes everything.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM

36 posts, read 66,992 times
Well...we are heading down this weekend and just hope that we feel it in our guts that this is a good decision. I have to admit...I am nervous.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM

451 posts, read 1,388,314 times
My sister-in-law is from Conn. and has been married to my brother for 30 years. She came to school as the first student from New England to get a scholarship to Warren Wilson, a small but very good and interesting college near Asheville, N.C. She has never looked back. She also can trace her heritage back to the Mayflower. She loves her home state and visits every year. She loves to go into NYC when she is there, but she loves it here. Good luck on your move.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,927 times
Default The lame, but true, answer nobody wants to hear.

Gosh, the upper East Coast has so much history (for our country) and interesting architecture. Museums, late night deliveries, fun outdoor events. Nightclubs.

But the thing is, the pace of life is slower down here. Things are set back in a way like 20 years. In many ways that's a good thing, too! But the thing is, that America has this huge expanse of land but only a few large, atttractive cities. I mean the ones that are so attractive that people want to visit or move there because they are just darn interesting. (Think San Francisco).

If you compare many of our cities with the modern cities in other major countries of the world, one might start to think how outdated we've become, and that progress hasn't visited this station in a long time. The moment you leave those larger, prosperous cities, you are going to feel a sense of loss. At best, you will feel a sense of timelessness.

Yes, you should move. You should try it. Try it however with the caveat that you may want to return in a few years if you don't like it. Give yourself that freedom and you will be more likely to enjoy your time away rather than lamenting it.

In my husband's case, his homesickness hit first and he is doing very well now. It's been 9 months, and it's just now hitting me full force. Sometimes I find it unbearable. But all the time, I love the relief of little traffic, friendly neighbors, and courteous (at least most of the time) drivers. Affordable housing is great - unless you lost your down payment money in the downswing of things like we did. Still, we pay 770 for a 3BR apartment at around 1200 sq ft. And like I said, I like my neighbors! I know them all by name. In the DC area, I lived in our place 4 years and only 2 families were "nice enough" to stop and be talkative.

Do I miss the city life? Yes. Do I miss the Museums, the Opera, the huge city events? Sure. But I have a family of my own now, and it was the right move for us. I don't regret it, but I miss my family of origin. Each of them is also in a different state from the rest!! But I won't be moving back. I do hope however that my own parents or hubby's parents will be living in the same state at some point when everyone is older so we can help take care of them. That's important, too. Kids gotta return the favor.

This is a great place to raise a family, but I intend on traveling again as much as I can! I need the fields and the mountains as much as I need the city and the sushi. Where you live and where you travel is the choice.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 12,206 times
We moved from Connecticut to Mocksville NC about 2 months ago, and so far we love it. It really does have a northern New England feel to it. So far we had only two "snow storms". One was about 1/2" and the other was about 1". It did get down into the single numbers on a few nights but mostly winter night time temps are 20s-40s and daytime temps are 40s-60s. Our crocuses are already gone by and our daffodils are already up. Today I also saw some tree buds starting to open. Its only February and already there are signs of spring!

The cost of living can be a LOT cheaper down here if you get out of the city areas. Our Mocksville house cost us less than half of what we sold our CT house for and our taxes are less than 1/4 of our CT taxes.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM

143 posts, read 443,623 times
We moved here from the Lowell, MA area in 2006, just as the bubble burst.

Although we do miss our friends and family, we have absolutely no regrets with moving here. The people here are generally friendly and outgoing - though you'll find jerks here just like anywhere else.

Overall, the cost of housing, property taxes and car insurance are MUCH lower than in MA, water & sewer are about the same or maybe lower than MWRA districts, electricity is MUCH cheaper, natural gas somewhat cheaper, gasoline about the same. Prices for trades (mechanics, builders, etc.) are somewhat lower. It's easier to find a well-run town here and they know how to stay within a budget much more here.

Income taxes are higher if you're middle-class and up. Sales tax is more and there's no NH to sneak over to in order to escape it ;-)

I just finished up my income tax and, having just refinanced my small mortgage, have come to the realization that after we're done with #2 son's tuition we will probably be able to file a 1040A because the standard deduction will be more than our itemized deductions.

I miss the 200+ year old houses, birch trees, NESN and some other things but that is to be expected when you spent 50 years of you life there. Frankly, we didn't go to Boston that much anyway because it was so darned expensive! The cities here are much more visitor-friendly (easy access, cheap or free parking, reasonably-priced eateries and events, etc.).

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

36 posts, read 66,992 times
Thank you...that is encouraging. I think missing family and friends will be our biggest obstacle. I do get discouraged when I read other threads like the recent one posted (not loving the Triad). It makes me wonder...oops maybe it isn't going to be a great idea to move. I worry about the talk of crime and average schools. I feel like there are a lot of conflicting views on this. We are leaving a good school district so we don't want to compromise on that at all and felt Forsyth County was comparable based on the stats. Then we read that people don't love the schools. And regards to crime....living in Mass....we are used to the reports of high crime in various towns. And Boston is having a really hard time w/ crime so that is not that new. But again is the crime in the Triad worse or as bad as some remark? I know there are no guarantees and these are the opinions of a few but they make me pause and worry because that is just what I do.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:26 PM

106 posts, read 288,895 times
We relocated our family to north raleigh from maine in august. we are still adjusting. maine winters were so harsh and the economy so shaky that we wanted to be somewhere brighter. we love the temperate climate and that there is so much more available here as far as retail, restaurants, etc. on the other hand, there is a real closed culture of pureblood southerners and my children are being impacted by that to an extent-will the girls be invited to be debutantes? will the boys be allowed to break into the sports teams that are full of the old guards sons? we are farther from any big city which we hadnt thought about-boston was 2 hours and nyc 6. from here, it is 5 hours to dc and dc is limited in its appeal. atlanta is close to 7 hours. we think we will like it but the jury is still out. good luck with your move and feel free to ask for more info. we settled in north raleigh.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 50,786 times
My husband and I moved from Boston. There's so much to love here: the weather, the friendliness, the easy driving.

Though there's things I desperately miss about New England. Boston in particular had a dense diversity of countries/languages/food I had gotten used to. There's some of that here, but it requires driving and a lot more effort.

Here are the trade offs I've experienced:

Bonus: Our neighborhood has an extremely family-friendly culture. Children are the social glue.
Trade off: If you don't have kids like us, man it is hard to find people with the time/money/energy to go to plays/shows/music/festivals/etc with. We still make friends, but we're less likely to do group outings. I think this might be the reason there's fewer cultural options too.

Bonus: More space for less money. WAY less traffic.
Trade off: A lot more emptiness. There's literally fewer people in a greater amount of space. It also means there's less pedistrian-centric towns and areas.

Bonus: Incredible friendliness and curiosity about your life.
Trade off: I sometimes mourn the loss of anonymity, but mostly, a cultural adjustment is required. For awhile there, I just felt like there weren't enough conversational boundaries. But you get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point