U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM

36 posts, read 66,963 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the candid feedback. I am seeing there will be tradeoffs and it will just be a balance of all. We do have children so we see that will be an easier transistion than if we were without.

I am wondering about the conversation boundaries though. I find that fascinating in fact. Mostly because I think it points to the fact that we are Bostonians. We aren't really that open and tend to stay within our bubble of family and "old friends". We don't mean to but we can be a little more reserved and not outwardly conversationalists. (is that a??word).

I found in the South people were warmer and more engaging and enjoyed conversation and pleasantries more. NOT that we aren't nice here in the North...I just call it more guarded or reserved. So I am assuming you are pointing to the same thing. Are you finding it invasive?? You are trying to stay private but are finding people want too much info...(i.e. religion, children, etc. )?? I still think a friendlier climate is the way to go. BUT....I am a very private person as well and due to that have been told I am on the colder side. It doesn't make sense to me because it is not intentional but I work on it.

Yikes...............................the south might just melt me down.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 50,781 times
Yeah, politeness in Boston is defined by not being mean or nosy, sometimes at the expense of open friendliness. In NC, I rarely feel like anyone's invading my privacy here. Your take on NC friendliness matches mine.

Everything in NC just feels more *noticed*. People awknowledge you and whatever it is you're doing. In Boston, it's possible to go out and about without nary a soul speaking to me. Not true here. Sometimes I think things like "I really wished you would stop paying attention to me." For example, in the grocery line, people will actually engage me in a conversation about what I'm making... I mean, in Boston, complete anonymity in the grocery line is sacrosanct. I had to get past the idea that strangers who keep talking to me beyond, "nice weather", are not (a) off-kilter or (b) want something. There's just a lot more sharing here for no reason other than to share. I only feel uncomfortable when it comes to religion questions since I came from the land of tight-lipped Puritans... but it's pretty openly discussed here. It's also easy to change the topic.

Oh, note that things are much more conservative here too.

It's good you have kids. Gives you a chance to bond with more parents and other people in the community. If you're interested in going out to eat in good restaurants and checking out cultural stuff... there's a lot less of it here, requires planning, and is at the end of a longer drive. I really miss that freedom of hopping on the T and having my pick of stuff to do.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 AM

36 posts, read 66,963 times
Default How miles can change personalities....so strange!

I just am getting a good chuckle at our conversation. We could start a new thread on the variations in personalities throughout the country. I have lived in Boston as well as many of the burbs and in general your take on it is spot on. I always say we have a cynical nature to us....questioning everything and can be taken back when someone might be too friendly. Getting honked at in the car is a daily occurence here! As well as impatience. Everyone is in a bit of a rush! I have always hated the label of the "cold" nature we apparantly have but in contrast to the South or Midwest it is somewhat true. People here are also quick to tell you how they feel with a pretty strong opinion and don't really care if it is offensive. So....it all comes off as over opinionated, loud and then stand offish. But it is still a wonderful place to be and I believe at everyones core is a really good and nice person. We just have a harder shell.

SOOO...we are excited to spread our wings and let the more open and friendly lifestyle in. I think it will be refreshing and wouldn't mind having some of my walls broken down. So.... heres to the N, S, East and West! That is what makes us so interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point