U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

22 posts, read 42,322 times

Advertisements

Read about a Big problem with animal lovers in NC off of this forum - post was back in 2007.

Has the conditions there changed much in two years?

Presently living north of Houston and have unlimited resources for animals here. Have helped lots of animals - mainly feral cats. Programs like FCAP and SNAP have helped me trap/alter/release many cats for little to no expense to me. Awesome programs!

I will always go out of my way to help an animal - it is who I am.

Absolutely HATE gas chambers, don't agree with shelters - sanctuaries are better - no kill! But will adopt from shelters - give every animal a chance.

Very strong in developing life long forever homes for all pets. Practice and preach about spaying and neutering your pet(s). Don't buy from pet stores/puppy mills/backyard breeders. Dead set against animals for profit. Too many animals killed everyday in America for people to make money off of a animal.

I am very strong in my beliefs and will not backslide none.

Hoping to connect with like minded people to continue my rescue efforts once I have relocated.

I am a screaming bleeding heart animal lover and I am coming to North Carolina this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM

273 posts, read 850,480 times
First, good luck with your move from Texas. We made the move from Houston almost 2 years ago, and have loved the change. Where are you moving to? I'm in Winston Salem, so most of the groups I know about are here.

Now to your question. There are several groups around that do quite a bit for animals. While I'm not actively involved with any groups, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

DOGS BEHIND BARS - ADOPT A DOG - Home - We adopted our 2nd dog through them and it was a great experience. The program not only helps to train the dogs, but gives the inmates something to work on.

Forsyth Humane Society :: Welcome

SPCA of the Triad, Inc.

NC ANIMAL RESCUE(INTRO)

I hope the links help, and I will keep my ears open to any additional groups. Good luck with everything and thank you for helping the animals!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Thanks!

Not exactly sure where our next home will be, but heck after living here for two years and driving this area I am sure I can handle the drive around NC : ) You know what I mean. Looking towards the Triad area - I know it is large but we've ruled out coast and mountains.

Seen the behind bars thing on tv some time ago and I agree - excellent program!

Have thought (alot), about starting a sanctuary one day, where there are no cages and everybody has access to the home, I'm cool with that - don't think the boyfriend would be. He loves animals and adores our pets but I believe he would draw a line eventually.

Do you partake in transports? I have arranged some here in Texas, but back home in Georgia I drove.

Do you foster? I foster ferals outside, can't foster inside - Felv/FIV pos cat. Can't cross contaminate anything including me.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 AM

627 posts, read 1,863,513 times
Hi sheilovealways-

Glad to meet you and glad you are moving to NC!
I am a member of North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare (http://www.ncvaw.org)
a politically active group in NC. Most of the things you have heard about
NC are probably still true, we need your help!! Still 30 counties with gas
chambers and NC kills the more animals each year than any other state
that I am aware of.
Some recent good news, Amanda Arrington (a Texas native herself) was recently named HSUS Director of North Carolina Office (Animal Coalition Leader Amanda Arrington Named Director of North Carolina Office | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/about_us/offices_and_affiliates/regional_offices/eastern_mountain_regional_office/new_north_carolina_state.html - broken link)). She originally founded the Coalition to Unchain Dogs and is a real force in the animal rights community.
I don't know if you are going to be in NC this soon but HSUS is having North Carolina Humane Lobby Day-Raleigh (Feb. 12) (https://community.hsus.org/humane/ev...12/details.tcl)
Hope to see you there!

Last edited by Tart Green Apple; 01-23-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Great!

d_Random Thank You! Maybe North Carolina was picked for me to live in by a Higher source. I just kinda roll with the scenery and bloom where I am planted.

Will be checking out the links you and akwebb81 have provided me and I appreciate both of you helping me.

Can you tell me what you feel are the major hold backs are for improving animal's rights in North Carolina.

In the past I have came across 'good ole boy' mentality, which never works for anyone but them, or ignorance of the masses, or lack of education in normal everyday people.

Can't say I voted for Obama, but he did just save hundreds of grey wolves from being slaughtered in our national forests. A last minute bill off the desk of Bush was halted by Obama and stopped the Jan. 26 scheduled air slaughter in the Rocky Mountains. So maybe, just maybe our new president will be a supporitive factor in how many americans view pet ownership and responsibilities.

Would like to meet this Amanda Arrington, I have been posting "unchain that dog and bring them in the home" for years. How can all the benefits of having a canine be known when they are chained 30' away from the dwelling you live in. That is no life for a dog, would really love to chain up their owners!

We do what we can do to save the animals because it has been planted in our hearts and souls. We take off our rose colored glasses and teach others to do the same.

Again thank you!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 AM

sheilovealways-

I cannot tell you the major hold backs are for improving animal's rights in North Carolina. I am a new member in the organization, so I am just learning. But there are people in the organization that have been in the trenches for years, so they would know. I hope you join NCVAW.
I find it a bit odd that you did not vote for Obama after HSUS endorsed him (their 1st endorsement in history).
http://www.tripawds.com/wp-content/gallery/000000_postpics/obamatripawd.jpg (broken link)

By the way, I am reading a great book on political activism for animals, you should check it out, it's call "Getting Political for Animals". http://www.nifaa.org/manual.html

P.S. My girlfriend and I just fixed another cat today at the low cost HS of the Triad clinic!

Last edited by Tart Green Apple; 01-23-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM

I'm from the old school and my parents were both Republican so there fore I am too, and Republican through and through. My issues with Obama had nothing to do with the animals.

I will check out the book. For years I have been bashing my head in a wall trying to convince people how cruel it is to not spay/neuter, to chain up a dog, to not buy from those who profit from animals. Maybe the political way is more effective.

As soon as I register to vote in NC I will become a member of NCVAW, no doubt! I won't be there quick enough to attend the Lobby Day : (

Kudos to you and your friend for altering the feline - it feels good, people that don't do this don't understand how them little victories makes us all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

There is a SNAP program here that on Feb 24th you can "Neuter Scooter for a Nickle", all male cats will be neutered for the whopping cost of 5 cents, rabies vaccination costs $10, but the neutering only costs you 5 cents. Three feral male kittens in my area will be in that lineup.

Through FCAP trap/alter/release program I have altered several cats this year, and they only thing it cost me was some time on the computer and arrange transport to Houston for the felines.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM

That is AWESOME sheilovealways! The "Neuter Scooter for a Nickle" sounds like a really cool idea. We innovative ideas like that in NC.

A lot of the problems I have heard about in the past with the animal advocates in NC is that we cannot agree on what we want to do, how we are going to do it, etc. So there is a lot of bickering and fracturing what could be a powerful coalition. I think that is what the NCVAW was to founded to overcome and speak in a one voice. That is the only way law makers are ever going to take us seriously, with voting blocks (you can read more about this in the book I suggested).

If we really want to make a difference for animals we are going to have to get political. No offense to rescue folks, but by then it is too late, they are just trying to fix broken egg shells. We have to get laws passed that prevent a majority of these problems from happening in the first place!!

Last edited by Tart Green Apple; 01-23-2009 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 33,790 times
In Greensboro check out: ARFP : Greensboro NC Animal Rescue and Foster Program

Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM

There are those who are stronger in the political sense than others. And those that are better in the field, I may try my hand at the political side but I will never come out of the field entirely.

I live in the field, I can not ignore what is around me. Seems like any where I go feral cats and dogs come out of the woods - literally to find me. So yeah I'm mending broken shells but these shells are out my front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point