Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 PM

254 posts, read 925,087 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking into this more in-depth, but I'd appreciate any info from folks on here.

My aunt lives in Thomasville - so most of the TV stations she watches are transmitting from about 15 miles due-east. But WXII transmits from 40 miles due northwest.
My questions are:
-Has anyone in that area had difficulty picking up WXII's digital signal over the air?
-If she drops cable TV and switches to a good indoor antenna, should she be alright without needing to constantly re-adjust her antenna?

I'm no expert in this, so I just recommended a good multi-directional VHF/UHF indoor antenna that costs $15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 PM

247 posts, read 997,763 times
On February 17th, all stations will be broadcasting digitally. Because of this, any indoor antennae will not work. You would have to get a converter box in order to get a signal. The good news is that the government is giving out coupons for these boxes, the bad news is that there is a waiting list for these coupons. To apply, go to this website: https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Your aunt may be better off keeping cable tv for now.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM

This is not true, tippster. Do a Google search if you need more information. Any antenna will work fine, as long as the signal from the transmitter is strong enough (and as long as you have some manner of receiving digital signals). The only caveat in this area is that WGHP and perhaps a couple of others will continue transmitting in the VHF spectrum, so a VHF/UHF antenna will be necessary.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
If your aunt is considering dropping cable because of service reasons I would recommend checking into a satellite provider.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Sorry - I made a mistake in the first post...
She did have cable until a couple of years ago, but was unhappy with Time Warner's refusal to credit her account for drops in service, so she switched to Dish Network because of a good introductory price. She was unhappy with the picture quality and so she switched again to Direct TV, which she has now. She is still not pleased with quality, but her primary reason for making the switch now is a financial one. I think she spends at least $40/month for TV, so she's thinking about going back to over-the-air broadcasts to save money.
She gets so stressed discussing it that I'm glad I switched to the internet and Netflix for TV years ago.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
I've often flirted with both alternatives also.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,827 times
I cannot pick up WXII via antenna in Greensboro either. It's the only local digital channel that I cannot receive. Can anyone else pick up WXII digital with an antenna?

BTW, the other digital channels are just as clear as cable, via antenna, it is a huge improvement from analog.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Here's my update:
I found an old, rusty, set-top antenna from the 80s that I had lying in my attic and hooked it up at my aunt's house in Thomasville.
Perfect reception on all local stations and several that she couldn't receive previously (from Charlotte and other areas). Smaller stations have 720p, but I believe the major locals all had 1080i or better. I could also set it and forget it - there was no need to change the VHF or UHF antenna positions once I found the sweet spot.
She's convinced - she already called the cable company and by now is enjoying free TV.

Consequently, at my home in Winston, I plugged my TV straight into the cable jack and can receive at least a dozen unencrypted cable channels free via my TV's QAM tuner. I have Road Runner, so they didn't completely cut the cable to my home as they do sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point