U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,735,643 times

Advertisements

Hello triad folks. At the suggestion of some friends from your neck of the woods, the wife and I going to head up to the High Point area in a couple of weeks to start our search for a good deal on a dining room set (table and chairs mainly). Our friends have lived there for several years now and seem to have good opinions on where to look and where not to...and maybe more importantly, WHEN to look.

My question to you all is what are your recommendations for places we should stop by?

To give a little more detail on what we're looking for:
Not necessarily a full dining room set--we could probably do without a buffet and/or a china cabinet. Just a table and chairs. But my kicker is it has to be well built. Call me too old fashioned and/or stubborn, but for the money we're going to shell out, I don't want something that wobbles when someone sneezes! If we had to pin a style that we're into, certainly not the ultra-formal stuff that you're afraid to sit on! Our stuff will get used and slightly abused, so it has to stand up and I can't have a heart attack when it gets scratched or otherwise damaged. We don't have much in mind for style, but I'd say we will lean toward a craftsman, mission, or even slightly rustic style of furniture.

Again, I'm not looking for help in deciding what style we want, just looking for some local suggestions of the best places to shop and hopefully get a good deal that your part of the state is known for!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
You may want to check out Stickley (sp?) on Elm St in High Point. First their showroom is open to the public, second this may be what you are looking for as far as style, & third it is extremely well built. Though it has been a few years, I recall drawer bottoms & the backs of dressers and such made from real plywood, not the cardboard stuff found in a lot of furniture these days. Be warned it is pricey IMO.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
A couple of months ago, I was looking for exactly the same thing. I know you're asking about High Point, but I found a discontinued Bernhardt dining room set (round table, 2 leaves, and 6 chairs) for 20% of MSR at Tarheel Home Furnishings on US 321 in between Lenoir and Hickory. You could luck up and find a similar deal at any one of the furniture retailers or showrooms in High Point. Good luck and have fun.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,791,039 times
On your way up to High Point, there's a hole-in-the-wall place in Mooresville called Brawley's Furniture. It's on Hwy 3 & Rte 115 by the railroad tracks. It's an old, white-brick warehouse that on 1st impression you say, "I'm not going in there." That's until alot of the locals told me that I just had to go in & check the place out. I'm glad I did! It's one of those places you check out every mth or so to see what's new. We just picked up an accent table by Hammary there, & my new leather sofa & loveseat by Bassett is being delivered on Mon. The s/ls, with tax & delivery included came to about $600 less than just the retail price of the sofa only. I've purchased my DS bedroom set there & my cousin has purchased nearly all of her furniture there. Now I'm saving up for a Bassett dining room set, table, china hutch & 6 chairs. It'll come out to be about $2600 less than if I purchased it directly from Bassett, basically getting the china hutch for free. They have tons of books & catalogs you can go through to order from. If you see a name brand item that you like, they can probably get it for you at a good discount.

Might be worth a look-see before you make a trip up to High Point. They close early on Sat., I think 1 pm & they're closed on Tues.

Happy Hunting & Shopping!!

BxRosie

Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM

254 posts, read 825,239 times
Not sure if it's "lesser known", but Transit Damaged Furniture has a few locations around the area. They have a decent selection in-store, but they can also order pretty much anything directly from the manufacturer, and you'll save at least 60% of retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point