U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 05:40 AM

531 posts, read 1,804,874 times

Advertisements

Well, this is what I get for voting...I'm being called for Jury Duty to the district court in Winston. I'll be coming from Durham, having to arrive at the courthouse (approximately 100 South Main in Winston) at 8 am.

Previous experience with 52 and Bus 40 has shown me that the traffic in that area is hair-raising, to say the least. I have had several near-accidents in that area over the years. I'm not the greatest city driver, god knows.

So, terror aside, how much time should I allow to get from the I40-Bus 40 split to the courthouse at rush hour? What is the probability of encountering an accident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 AM

273 posts, read 850,323 times
Probability of finding an accident is not great, but depending on weather, etc you can find one any day. The only really bad part of that road is when you get downtown and hit the US-52/BUS-40 split. That's where you will find the traffic problems originating. I would give yourself 30 mins from the I-40/BUS-40 split to be safe. I have found it is usually closer to 20 mins, but who knows. Leaving my house in WS at 7am, I am in Downtown Raleigh in 1:45-2hrs. I know it's going the other direction, but a point of reference. I would suggest parking in the liberty st garage, across liberty st from the court. Depending on what's going on in the morning, it may be pretty full. Don't forget to take your parking ticket, I think they validate for jury duty. Also, people line up on liberty st door in the morning. Most are going to take care of their traffic tickets, but you have to line up in the same line (can be quite long). This is to go through the metal detector/security. If I were you, I would leave everything you can in your car, b/c its a hassle to get through (they make you take your belt off too). Have fun.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Is that normal for their jury pool to extend that far away? That's a round trip of 160 miles from Durham.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
OP would have to be registered to vote in Forsyth County to have been called for jury duty there.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:26 PM

22 posts, read 78,484 times
Actually, that's not quite true. OP said "district court," which I assume she means federal district court. The jurisdiction for federal district court is pretty much from Virginia all the way down to South Carolina, divided into three districts. OP is in the middle district, it sounds like.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,296,385 times
..make sure that you do indeed have to go.I know they used to have you call a no. the night before,to see if you have to show up.sometimes,depending on the no. of trials going on during that time,they simply won't need you.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:25 PM

531 posts, read 1,804,874 times
Thanks akwebb81 for all your sage advice. That was exactly what I was looking for.

And yes, it is about 180 miles roundtrip according to MSNmaps (we're practically in Granville county). And yes, it is district court, not local court, which draws from a large area. Lucky me.

And yes, you are right that a number must be called the night before to find out if the trip must be made at all. Makes it impossible to schedule doctor's appointments, car repairs, etc... since you won't know until literally 14 hours ahead of time whether you have to show up or not!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,296,385 times
It is a pain,I agree.My husb. and I both kept getting called about every 2 yrs at our last address,and I never got called until I registered to vote.I do believe once you get called and serve,they continue to 'keep you in mind' ..so to speak.I really felt like we were getting picked on at that address.I talked to others that said the same thing..they were getting called about every 2 yrs since they'd moved to where they were now.
I know they say your name is drawn at random from driver's license and voter registration pools,but from what I've experienced,I really doubt it.It seems they give you some sort of priority if you've served before,from the same address.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
I was called to duty the first time almost immediately after I turned 18 and didn't register to vote until I was in my early 20s. It seems Guilford county does a better job circulating through the pool as I had gone several years before I was called up late last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point