Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM

3,970 posts, read 7,668,769 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be working there, but it seems like such a small place. I assume I will be spending most of my time in Charlotte. But just wondered if there was anything worthwhile seeing in Salisbury?

Another question, what are the race relations like? Is it considered back-woods thinking? Will a single, black woman be treated reasonably ok??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM

53 posts, read 271,765 times
I work in Salisbury. It is very urban, not backwoods at all. Traffic on Innes St. is horrible, so steer clear of it as much as possible. There is a lot of crime and gang violence near where I work. That's the biggest issue I see. Overall, race relations are fine. I think there is tension building with the growing Hispanic population, more than any tension between blacks and whites. I see more tension with teens than any other age group. I'm assuming that you were more worried about older people, which shouldn't be an issue.

The good thing is that it is has the feel of a small town on Main St., but all of the urban stores you can think of, mainly around I-85 & Innes. Having Livingstone College and others closeby helps keep things forward thinking.

Enjoy working there!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 34,339 times
Mmmm Cheerwine... Why not visit the factory? That would be fun! Atleast for a Cheerwine drinker... But as far as social spots/clubs/shopping... I'm not sure...

Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM

20 posts, read 36,234 times
Does anyone have any input about relocating to Salisbury NC after retiring from upstate NY. Right now we live in a small town and like the friendliness of it it is very dependent on car travel. Since we will be new to Salisbury streets how are they to navigate/ Are they 1 way streets and how about pedestrian traffic. We enjoy walking and a trip to downtown Salisbury would be fun once in a while. We 're looking for a apartment complex with a 55+ age restriction where we would not be affected by smaller kids playing in the neighborhood roads. We really enjoy the beaches but our ages (early 60's) and distance will limit that so we need a swimming pool in our apartment complex. Since I never really used this forum before I don't know how to search for the response. Send you response to Delawarebigguy51...Thanks

Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM

84 posts, read 216,208 times
Salisbury has much better internet than the rest of the state, be sure to pick a place that has access to municipal broadband if that's a factor in living decisions.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 AM

16,752 posts, read 8,115,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawarebigguy51 View Post
Does anyone have any input about relocating to Salisbury NC after retiring from upstate NY. Right now we live in a small town and like the friendliness of it it is very dependent on car travel. Since we will be new to Salisbury streets how are they to navigate/ Are they 1 way streets and how about pedestrian traffic. We enjoy walking and a trip to downtown Salisbury would be fun once in a while. We 're looking for a apartment complex with a 55+ age restriction where we would not be affected by smaller kids playing in the neighborhood roads. We really enjoy the beaches but our ages (early 60's) and distance will limit that so we need a swimming pool in our apartment complex. Since I never really used this forum before I don't know how to search for the response. Send you response to Delawarebigguy51...Thanks
Downtown is a nice place to walk in the evening, not many age restricted apts.. There are some nice Condos (Kress Building). There are assisted living units that come with different levels (Sacred Heart, Lutheran Homes), I know of a 55+ home community(Gables at Kepley farms).

Lots of stuff to see and do, Catawba College,Livingstone College, Merony Theater, Lee Street Theater,Train Museum in Spencer.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,669,416 times
Salisbury has a long history, and quite frankly, the elite look down their noses at upstart communities, like Charlotte.

As in many small towns, most entertaining is done in the home, by the charming hostess.

Bar scenes are not the same as up north. The key to an active social life in Salisbury (or any small town, certainly in the south) is to meet people, receive invites to their home functions, charm the other attendees, so you are invited to their next function as well.

Before you know it, you are on the lists.

Good Luck. I grew up there, I know!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 PM

385 posts, read 724,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Salisbury has a long history, and quite frankly, the elite look down their noses at upstart communities, like Charlotte.

As in many small towns, most entertaining is done in the home, by the charming hostess.

Bar scenes are not the same as up north. The key to an active social life in Salisbury (or any small town, certainly in the south) is to meet people, receive invites to their home functions, charm the other attendees, so you are invited to their next function as well.

Before you know it, you are on the lists.

Good Luck. I grew up there, I know!
Yup. Same here. Agreed.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 PM

322 posts, read 663,370 times
Salisbury is a small town that has a phenomenal amount of history. I am an architectural enthusiast, so I am constantly amazed at the pride that is taken in preservation of homes, shops, churches, storefronts, and the rail station in Salisbury. The history of the town is clearly embraced by the people and is one of the charms that makes it so unusual as one of the oldest towns in western North Carolina. I have been to several of the October home tours, and it's really amazing how the townsfolk take pride in it. The fact that Salisbury has history stretching from the pre-Revolutionary days, including visits by Daniel Boone, up to the Civil War and being the site of the Confederate Prison and the National Cemetery makes Salisbury really unique to me. I remember when I was just a boy seeing the Confederate Monument for the first time, probably the first time I ever visited Salisbury. It made such an impression on me, because no other small town had a statue...a bronze statue, in the middle of the street. I have been into many of the homes and buildings in town such as the Wallace-Hembley House, the old court house, the Maxwell Chambers House, and sadly, the old Grimes Mill that burned a year ago January. I have also progged about in the rain at the old Lutheran Cemetery, as well as been in awe of the immaculate grounds of the National Cemetery.

I don't know if all this history, and architecture would be as appealing to a single black female as it is to me, a single white male. I also realise that we all see things differently, but I have never come away from Salisbury with a bad vibe. I know that there is a very mixed school system, there is a traditionally African-American based college (Livingstone), and there is Catawba College, that gets students from many other states. I hope if you move to Salisbury that you will like it as much as I like visiting there.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:44 PM

19 posts, read 27,035 times
I lived in Rockville MD for about 10 years and was impressed that Salisbury has a City Manager/City Council form of government as Rockville did. I've been 'moved back home' to Cleveland Ohio for over 10 yrs now and am finally contemplating my next move. Which will hopefully be long term. Salisbury interests me because at least on paper (and in photos) it seems highly walkable with a thriving business community and main street. I'd move to Charlotte but not sure I want all that traffic stress. It's been several years since this post has been updated so wondering, is the economy good enough for a transplanted, single, middle aged woman ? I would like to decide between a few places by March and then start looking for a job there. How has Salisbury changed since the last post? By the way, the Alexander Apt complex suggested above is still active, looks good and looks like it might be walking distance to things. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point