Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,422 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. The title says it all. We have been to the area twice in the last year and liked it. Wife has the option for a transfer, I will be looking for work ( no big deal I see plenty of work available ) Please folks, give me the good and bad. Not just on areas but the cities themselves. We currently reside in a town in PA where corruption, crime and filth are the top 3 descriptions that come to mind. Looking to escape and be able to fit in to the area but live in a much more peaceful way.

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Hi Steve! Where would your wife be working? That will help narrow down whether folks here would recommend Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, etc., and we can all give you lots more accurate information from there.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
In addition to work location, more information in general is needed. What do you like to do, what is your housing budget, what is important to you?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Wow, thanks very much. She will be by the Airport in Greensboro. We seem to think the west side of Greensboro W Friendly Ave. is the place to be. ( yes ? No ? ) It will be Myself,her and our 24 yr old son who has said 'what the hey!! I'm up for something new!!" and our two small dogs. Housing since I will be out of work for a time I figure about 1k a month max. We live simple..like to dine out simple ( Not a McDonalds simple )on Friday or Saturday. I used to play guitar so we like seeing locals every now and then. Other than that as I said we are looking for a more peaceful way of life.

Again Thanks so much.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
West side of G'boro would work, as would the smaller communities of Oak Ridge and Summerfield. Kernersville would work too. Most local music will be found in downtown G'boro and Winston-Salem.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
West Greensboro is a pretty good area of town and you would be closer to a variety of retail establishments.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
West side of G'boro would work, as would the smaller communities of Oak Ridge and Summerfield. Kernersville would work too. Most local music will be found in downtown G'boro and Winston-Salem.
Yes to all of this. West side of Greensboro would be my personal choice (easy access to both downtown GSO and the airport via Bryan Blvd or Friendly) but your results may vary. I know lots of folks who love Summerfield and Oak Ridge.

I'm in Winston, myself, and love it, but general consensus around here (and I agree) is that Greensboro and Winston are similar enough that it makes more sense to live closer to work if you have a choice.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Yes to all of this. West side of Greensboro would be my personal choice (easy access to both downtown GSO and the airport via Bryan Blvd or Friendly) but your results may vary. I know lots of folks who love Summerfield and Oak Ridge.

I'm in Winston, myself, and love it, but general consensus around here (and I agree) is that Greensboro and Winston are similar enough that it makes more sense to live closer to work if you have a choice.
Agree 100%!

You've gotten all good suggestions. Jamestown is a nice community worth considering as well.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Thanks so much all. So crime, things to look out for? Taxes etc?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Like most anywhere else, crime is generally localized in pockets where you wouldn't normally be hanging out anyway.

As real estate taxes... Guilford County Government | Local Property Tax Info

Sales tax info: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...d+county,+nc&*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point