U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times

Advertisements

I am from NC and went to college at UNCG, moved out of state for several years and have a very good possibility of getting a job in N. Eastern Winston. I am excited about the move back to NC, however I know next to nothing about W-S. How is it compared to Gboro? I tried looking there first for jobs, but have had no luck so it looks like W-S will be our new home. I am interested in good, unique restaurants, parks, good daycares. Let me know how you would rank the city relative to Gboro. Is it worth moving back for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM

3,868 posts, read 6,675,099 times
Greensboro and W-S have a lot of similarities, but each has its own unique personality. You can get a good feel by spendig a lot of time on this forum looking at past threads.

Winston-Salem has a thriving arts scene, especially in downtown W-S. Quite a few special restaurants (Sweet Potatos, Zevely House, Paul's Fine Italian, Noble's, Milner's, and many others). Tanglewood Park in western Forsyth County is a real jewel... as is the Greenway (biking/walking) Trail out to and around Salem Lake. Wonderful historic sites such as Old Salem and Bethabara... on and on....

Sorry, I know nothing about daycare.

Here are some links that should calm any qualms you might have about W-S:

Smitty's Notes

Downtown Arts District

Forsyth County Parks

UNC-School of the Arts (http://www.ncarts.edu/ - broken link)

Definitely worth the move. My husband was transferred to Greenville SC last year, and while it's a great town, I'd move back to W-S in a heartbeat.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM

10 posts, read 25,834 times
I am going to move to Winston-Salem in March. What areas should i avoid? Does anyone have information on Glendare Park Apartments?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,098,511 times
Princess, I'm not familiar with Glendare Park specifically, but I googled it and see that it's in a decent area of town. There are a number of apartment complexes in that area, and it's in a safe part of town.

In general, the northwestern, west, and southwestern sides of Winston-Salem are considered to be "good" areas, while the east side of town is considered an area to avoid. While I don't mean to put down anyone, that side of town generally has a lower socio-economic status, at least within the city itself. As you get further out towards Kernersville, things improve greatly--K'ville is a great place to live, as are Clemmons and Lewisville on the west side.

To the original poster, I'm biased but I think the Winston-Salem metro area is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. Nothing wrong with Greensboro either, but I think Winston has a little more charm and historic character. For a city it's size, Winston has a lot to offer--great restaurants and shopping, an increasingly active downtown scene, and lots of things to do. I think you'll be very happy here.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 25,834 times
Thanks arbyunc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point