Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM

118 posts, read 371,397 times

Advertisements

I am not quite certain, about where we will move too, Mockisville or Kernersville, please how hard will it be for my 3 grandchildren (11,7,4) who are bi racial to live there?
Right now we are in NJ, but we will move to NC, and it is the south will they be accepted or will they have trouble?
I like to get honest answers please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,122,528 times
Why do you ask, are they brats or something?

Just kidding. Relax, they'll be fine. I personally know two bi-racial couples (white and African-American) who live in Mocksville (well, just outside the town in the country actually). They have some of the most beautiful kids I've ever seen, and they are normal, well-adjusted kids who fit in just fine. The kids have friends who are white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and maybe a few other flavors as well. Like anywhere, I'm sure there are some idiots around who probably aren't as accepting, but my friends have never mentioned any incidents or concerns. I've also been out in public with these kids many times, both with their parents and by myself on several occasions (babysitting for my friends), and I've never had any problems whatsoever. I would also add that there are lots of folks in the Winston-Salem metro area who have adopted kids of other races. So it's a rather common thing to see parents with kids who don't look like them.

The more important thing is how you raise the kids. Teach them to love and respect themselves, and they'll be able to handle any situation some small-minded people might throw at them. I'm sure you know that already, so please don't worry about it.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 AM

611 posts, read 1,450,060 times
I am not trying to be negative here, and I dont live in NC, but I grew up in the South, and I am biracial. I do have to say that, once kids start "clique" up with their "own kind" around 6th and 7th grade, it can be hard for Biracial children, if they dont alread have a STRONG sense of identity, and are not well adjusted. I am 22, I have two teenage brothers, and I have watched them struggle with the color issues (as I have myself) With each generation it gets easier. I remember feeling like I needed to "choose" a race, around 6th grade, it took YEARS to come to terms with the fact that, no matter what neat box other people wanted to fit me in, it was my choice....and I have chosen not to choose. Some people can not accept that, so I ask them "Do you want me to pick my mother over my father, or my father over my mother?" I can pretty much go back and forth between both worlds now, I have become a master at it. But please, understand bi-racial children have identity issues no matter where they live at, it is getting easier, but no matter how much people want to pretend like there isn't a race/class issue in this country, there still very much is.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Why do you ask, are they brats or something?

Just kidding. Relax, they'll be fine. I personally know two bi-racial couples (white and African-American) who live in Mocksville (well, just outside the town in the country actually). They have some of the most beautiful kids I've ever seen, and they are normal, well-adjusted kids who fit in just fine. The kids have friends who are white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and maybe a few other flavors as well. Like anywhere, I'm sure there are some idiots around who probably aren't as accepting, but my friends have never mentioned any incidents or concerns. I've also been out in public with these kids many times, both with their parents and by myself on several occasions (babysitting for my friends), and I've never had any problems whatsoever. I would also add that there are lots of folks in the Winston-Salem metro area who have adopted kids of other races. So it's a rather common thing to see parents with kids who don't look like them.

The more important thing is how you raise the kids. Teach them to love and respect themselves, and they'll be able to handle any situation some small-minded people might throw at them. I'm sure you know that already, so please don't worry about it.
thank you ,the children are very loving and respectful. It is sad that some people are still very close minded. We all human being, I was born and raised in Germany came to America in 1982 sometimes people asking me about WWII, I was born after the war.
I will check the area out and see what is going on

Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I am not trying to be negative here, and I dont live in NC, but I grew up in the South, and I am biracial. I do have to say that, once kids start "clique" up with their "own kind" around 6th and 7th grade, it can be hard for Biracial children, if they dont alread have a STRONG sense of identity, and are not well adjusted. I am 22, I have two teenage brothers, and I have watched them struggle with the color issues (as I have myself) With each generation it gets easier. I remember feeling like I needed to "choose" a race, around 6th grade, it took YEARS to come to terms with the fact that, no matter what neat box other people wanted to fit me in, it was my choice....and I have chosen not to choose. Some people can not accept that, so I ask them "Do you want me to pick my mother over my father, or my father over my mother?" I can pretty much go back and forth between both worlds now, I have become a master at it. But please, understand bi-racial children have identity issues no matter where they live at, it is getting easier, but no matter how much people want to pretend like there isn't a race/class issue in this country, there still very much is.
I am sorry for you and your siblings, the 10 year old has a lot of friends,but 1 or 2 (not her friends)make some remarks. I am telling that she is special and pray about it. The younger ones 7 and 4 nothing yet. The children are well adjusted . I have to say that I never would move further south thanNC, Florida is different. I came from germany and I lived in Alabama and GA, I would never move to Al. with my grandchildren.
May I ask where do you live?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,450,060 times
I grew up in Florida - thats where I am at now.....but I grew up in RURAL Florida, not the Florida you see on TV!Some parts of Florida are just as segregated as some parts of Georgia,Alabama, Mississippi. I bet your Grandkids are beautiful!
Let me give you an example: last night I left work and thought to myself "Hey, I should go to a bar, and have a drink" (since I hadn't been out in almost a year) but then I was like, should I go to a white bar.....wont I look odd there? So, I was like, maybe I should go to a black bar......but no one from around here knows me, and if I walk into a black bar, I will be the odd man out......so i went home and went to bed. Little things like that come up ALL the time. Things other people don't think about, I do. There is pro's and con's to everything in life. good luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM

I grew up in Florida - thats where I am at now.....but I grew up in RURAL Florida, not the Florida you see on TV!Some parts of Florida are just as segregated as some parts of Georgia,Alabama, Mississippi. I bet your Grandkids are beautiful!
Let me give you an example: last night I left work and thought to myself "Hey, I should go to a bar, and have a drink" (since I hadn't been out in almost a year) but then I was like, should I go to a white bar.....wont I look odd there? So, I was like, maybe I should go to a black bar......but no one from around here knows me, and if I walk into a black bar, I will be the odd man out......so i went home and went to bed. Little things like that come up ALL the time. Things other people don't think about, I do. There is pro's and con's to everything in life. good luck

Hi, I love Florida but for me it is a state to go on vacations not to live there. So fare my grandchildren ( but they still small) had no trouble at all. The 7 year old boy keep saying he is brown, not white or black, whenI tell him that he looks like his dad, Jaylen is saying ; no I am not ;he is black I am brown. Yes the children are very beautiful, the 10 always being told how pretty she is, she could be a model. She partipated in serval pageant, she always was
1ST runner up, sad to say a blond, blue eyes little girl won, even if she was not pretty at all, now Kendra is not going to any pageants.
I hope that people gone wake up soon and respect all people no matter where they form, what color they are.
You are correct there are pro's and con's to everythink in life take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point