U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2006, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 40,945 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to settle down after he separates from the military, and the last thing we want to do is choose a place that we'll wind up regretting.
We are a young, interracial couple with multiracial children. Is Winston-Salem an open-minded city?
We also hope to find a place with a good selection of jobs (business professional and pilot) and a good school system for our kids.
We also like the idea of having parks nearby and lush green grass.
Anyone who knows Wisnton-Salem, please give us some advice and guidance. If not Wisnton-Salem, what cities in NC are best for us? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 PM

787 posts, read 3,326,929 times
Some of the people that have been looking have said that if you're into the medical and technology fields that Raleigh and the triangle area are good fits. If it is banking and finance that you are into, then Charlotte. You should fit in well. I live in a very rural county on the coastal plains of North Carolina and no one even bats an eye at interracial couples anymore. And believe me, if it were going to happen, it would be in the small towns like mine. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new life in North Carolina. As for Winston-Salem specifically, I am going to have to turn you over to someone else's capable hands for that one. I live a good 4 hours from Winston-Salem.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your response! We're definitely going to keep our options open.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,245,465 times
Fed Ex is building a new hub in Greensboro. They need a lot of pilots and they are first rate to work for. Another option might be the NASCAR teams who all have private pilots and are trying very hard to do some affirmative action hiring.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 75,245 times
Daisy
I live in Winston Salem. Inter-racial (be a little more specifc)couples are not many here, but do not face any problems here. Lifestyle is good and very family oriented. Lush green grass is something you'll find in plenty. The school system is not bad and we have a lot of parks nearby. You can also contact me directly on my yahoo address for more details.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 AM

I'm African American and my husband is Native American/White. Our children have fair complexions next to me. Similar to Mariah Carey. They seem very tan and they have fine hair texture (White). We don't want to move somewhere that's completely intolerant of interracial families.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:20 PM

12 posts, read 100,011 times
I would have to second rinsil's assessment of Winston-Salem. Our family is so happy to be relocating back to NC. Although we are getting ready to move to the coastal plain area (my husband started a new job in May), we would love to get back to Winston-Salem someday. We both graduated from Wake Forest U & then spent a couple of years working there and we just really like the city.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,656,457 times
It is re-freshing to see some postive posts about NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point