Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 PM

31 posts, read 126,268 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to Greensboro, NC this summer. Would like to get any information i.e. middle schools, high schools. Is there any charter schools?

How is the weather especially in the winter?

Any information you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 09:41 PM

799 posts, read 3,215,689 times
I was looking into Charter schools myself recently. I found a site that seems to list several with Parental/student ratings which I found helpful. You might like it:
link removed

I hope this helps!
~ Angela

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2006 at 02:39 AM..

Old 06-23-2006, 09:53 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,032,824 times
Default Schools

There are a few charter elementary schools. There are also some religious and non-religious private schools.

The public schools in Greensboro are hit-or-miss based on where you live ... some are good, many are average, some are bad. You can check ncreportcard dot org for a report about each public school in the state. Highlight the school system, then click the school on the next page, and then click "School report card snapshot" for a detailed report.

Winter weather -- it depends where you are moving from. As a native Floridian, I thought it was cold when I first moved here, but it's not really a big deal. Others from the northeast or midwest would call it very mild during the winter.

On average there are a few snowfalls during the winter. Every few years there will be a heavy snowfall, but most of the snow events are less than 5 inches. The most problematic event during the winter are ice storms -- you can count on 1-2 per year, although I don't believe we had one last winter.

You can check the official stats, but the average high during the middle of winter is around 40-45 and the average low is around 30. It doesn't get cold until December, and it starts to warm back up around the end of March.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,917,023 times
I agree with JAS.

Average January
High -47.2F
Low - 28.2F

Average July
High - 87.6F
Low - 68.1F

Expect 3.8" of snow during an average season.

National Weather Service Data from the Piedmont Triad International Airport Office.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:55 PM

21 posts, read 80,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needachange
My family may be moving to Greensboro, NC this summer. Would like to get any information i.e. middle schools, high schools. Is there any charter schools?

How is the weather especially in the winter?

Any information you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Greensboro (guilford county)weather is not bad. NC is only notorious for the pollen allargies. In the winter they get snow couple of times a year (1-2 inches). Summer usually is 85-92 F. The city is growing very fast. Schools are currently going thru a major change for the same reason. There are a couple of Charter schools. Greensboro Academy (K-8) and Imani Inst are 2 of them. There a few magnet schools too. Check this out:
Moderator cut: links removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2006 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-24-2006, 09:38 PM

31 posts, read 126,268 times
We currently live in MA and I really hate the winter! I guess I could live with a little bit of snow

Another few questions: what areas to avoid in looking for houses; what is there to do to keep my 12, 13 14 year olds occupied?; we have a camper - any good campgrounds around the area?

I am a family childcare provider here, and can't find any info regarding this in Greensboro. Is there a need for it? What is the going rate?

Thanks so much.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 80,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needachange
We currently live in MA and I really hate the winter! I guess I could live with a little bit of snow

Another few questions: what areas to avoid in looking for houses; what is there to do to keep my 12, 13 14 year olds occupied?; we have a camper - any good campgrounds around the area?

I am a family childcare provider here, and can't find any info regarding this in Greensboro. Is there a need for it? What is the going rate?

Thanks so much.
Oakridge and Summerfield in North Greensboro, Lake Jeanette in GSO and Jamestown to the south are good places to live in. Kernersville to the West (10 miles) is going thru the roof right now with DELL starting its bussiness.
Greensboro Koa Campground is the only one that I know of. Celebration Station and Emerald Point nearby can keep the kids happy. Very soon a man made rafting place is opening. real estate is set to take off according to a lot of agents.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 PM

18 posts, read 52,801 times
Jamestown is where you want to be.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM

799 posts, read 3,215,689 times
Man, I wonder why my link was removed. I know it was 2006, but I remember it was a pretty important, impressive site. What rule violates knowing how well a school does? Doesn't the public have a right to know about the schools and to be able to discuss it?

*perplexed*

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,584 times
Im visiting greensboro in two weeks anyone know any good plaes to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point