U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 116,098 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here been to the market that they have twice a year in High point (High Point Market • Home Page).
i have heard they have good deals on furniture the last couple of days but i was wondering how the whole thing worked. is the furniture what they are actually showing during the event and you buy it off the floor, can you order it?
I heard you have to have a business/resale license to get in which a family member has so we were going to tag along, but i don't want to go on a day where i can't possibly by furniture. is it only available to buy on the last day?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM

26 posts, read 119,446 times
The International Home Furniture Market being held April 25-April 30, 2009 is mainly open to the trade only (most exhibitors will sell to with tax id). This site might help answer some of your questions:
Quote:
FAQ's
Seldom product is removed from the larger buildings, and usually you will have to wait till the end of the show to pick-up your merchandise. Most of the product that is shipped into the show actually ships out to other shows, and the samples are needed for there next show in NY, ATL, LA, etc.

The best time to actually get furniture is before the show starts. The exhibitor arrives with a container full of merchandise, and the samples that did not make it out of the showroom between shows has to move and is sold CHEAP!

There are a few manufactures still around High Point that will give you a better deal. Prospect St. has a few good distribution sites still that have great deals.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
The market is not open to the general public. You have to have credentials (as a buyer, mfr rep, etc) to get into the market. I don't think you can get in by "tagging along" with someone who does.

I worked for an exhibitor at one market (a company that makes throws) a few years ago and had a lot of fun. But we were not in the main complex and I never had time to get over there. Even in the building where we were located (mostly design accessories companies), a few of the exhibitors would offer good deals on samples at the end of the market, but not all.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Agree with the responses above. I used to work for a major furniture manufacturer and I attended each market while I worked there. It's not set up to sell one-off pieces--they are looking for large orders from retail customers and they generally don't want to take time to deal with a small buyer. Sometimes pieces are available, but they are usually snapped up by "insiders", i.e. company employees. Even as an employee, I rarely got an opportunity to buy things from the market, and they will not ship it--you must provide your own transportation after the market has closed.

Also working against you is that even when manufacturers sell their market samples, they usually contract with clearance retailers to take it all. It's easier for them to do it that way, and the retailers want complete sets so the mfg'ers won't sell just a bed or dining table--you'd have to buy an entire suite.

As suggested above, I think you'd have much better luck by visiting one of the many discount sellers in the area.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Keep an eye out for sales ads after market as retailers offer market samples.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 AM

100 posts, read 365,819 times
Until moving a few years ago, I was invloved in the Furniture Business in High Point. Both Retail and wholesale for almost 30 years. You can get into the market with a friend who has a pass, but, you can't buy anything in 99% of the showrooms. Most Manufacturers already have all the floor samples sold to local dealers before the market gets underway. (Standing orders each market) You might find a few lamps and pictures the last day or so if you are lucky. The only way to get anything at the market is from smaller manufacturers, that are friends with the person you are going with, and that is only if they have not already contracted a local dealer to take the whole showroom.

If you are looking for casegoods (wood) more than likely no way. A small upholstery company, maybe, but then getting the stuff out is a pain and a lot of paper work. You have to bring the truck/van to pick it up and only at certain times at certain docks, if it is in the downtown buildings.

It is best to have a manufacturing contact to even try and make any this happen, and then it is not a sure thing.
The after market sales at the store are pretty good some of the time.
Market samples are the new styles and colors for the following season, so a lot of dealers do not discount them as you would think they should. The better samples are kept on the floor to order from, since the styles aren't in production yet.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM

26 posts, read 119,446 times
Pre-market is coming up...
March 23 & 24, 2009
High Point sets premarket dates - 2009-01-05 19:27:29 - Furniture Today

Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 4,104,298 times
Market is coming up!!! See you in HP!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 AM

12 posts, read 78,792 times
Default High Point Market or Furniture Land South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Palm View Post
The after market sales at the store are pretty good some of the time.
I'm a designer but have never been to High Point and am furnishing my own home. I was wondering if it is better to goto Boyles or Furniture Land South this summer or after market or try to go before market and get samples that didn't make it to showroom floor or special pricing at the show. Is it even possible if I don't have accounts at all the furniture makers or can I only buy at market where I have accounts already? Need to buy a lot (around 150,000-225,000) so is Furniture Land South or Market best bet? Should I hire a local designer hourly to guide me thru market as it's my first time?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd1117 View Post
I'm a designer but have never been to High Point and am furnishing my own home. I was wondering if it is better to goto Boyles or Furniture Land South this summer or after market or try to go before market and get samples that didn't make it to showroom floor or special pricing at the show. Is it even possible if I don't have accounts at all the furniture makers or can I only buy at market where I have accounts already? Need to buy a lot (around 150,000-225,000) so is Furniture Land South or Market best bet? Should I hire a local designer hourly to guide me thru market as it's my first time?
Some of the showrooms are open to the public and from what I understand you can hire a guide who can take you to them.
FLS is freaking huge! Unless you have specific taste you can burn 2 days there easily. As for the market itself I don't know what credentials get you where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point