U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,019 times

Advertisements

do u answer now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM

55,660 posts, read 74,604,692 times
assuming there has been no rehabilitation or reformation?
just did the time?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 AM

499 posts, read 1,396,762 times
Default Both of you are missing the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
Well, if people would think about their actions in this way before they did something that would make a difference. Unfortunately, most don't think about the consequence of their actions and getting caught, so they complain about how unfair the system is once they're in it.
Can't stand condescending and snide comments like these.....!!!!

The basis of this thread pertains to finding employment....NOT getting a "sermon" from people that, apparently, have no clue just how easy it is nowadays to get a felony on your record!!!

WHY do people feel that the denial of convicted felons of the ability to obtain a job is, somehow, an extension of the judicial process?????

Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocpuden View Post
I need to find full time employment for convicted felons.
You'll probably get better help with this on the Work & Employment forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
There is a convicted felon in a runoff for a city council seat in New Bern. You might consider politics.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:14 PM

24 posts, read 42,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.
The time is paid as soon as the sentence has been served. Any further impediments to employment, etc., based upon the crime already paid for is unethical, and illegal. That is not what our founding fathers intended, nor is it in accordance with the principles this country was founded upon.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427windsorman View Post
The time is paid as soon as the sentence has been served. Any further impediments to employment, etc., based upon the crime already paid for is unethical, and illegal. That is not what our founding fathers intended, nor is it in accordance with the principles this country was founded upon.
True....very true.....

People with felonies on their record might as well have a "scarlet letter" on their backs.

People complain about the high recidivism rates, yet think it's just fine to continually deny employment opportunities for folks with felonies....it's a vicious circle that is easier to get caught in than most realize.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM

66 posts, read 130,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
Well, if people would think about their actions in this way before they did something that would make a difference. Unfortunately, most don't think about the consequence of their actions and getting caught, so they complain about how unfair the system is once they're in it.

It is a crime that they do NOT help prevent offenders from striking again. Educate them, if they are willing to change their ways and are willing to help themselves then yes, they deserve a second chance depending on whether their repeat offenders and the extent of the crime. I believe in change, forgiving and second chances, though I also believe that if you do the crime, you should do the time. My brother is a felon. Yeah, he broke into a car and took 800 bucks and went to the owner's door and gave it to her and told her some boys did it and he got it from them!! He got locked up AND a felony for being a schizophrenic and bipolar man who couldn't afford meds. so some people have REASON to complain about our not so perfect justice system!! Heck, some of these felons shouldn't even be out, but are. Goes both ways. Should depend on the crime offender's history both mentally and record history!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollatjagirl View Post
It is a crime that they do NOT help prevent offenders from striking again. Educate them, if they are willing to change their ways and are willing to help themselves then yes, they deserve a second chance depending on whether their repeat offenders and the extent of the crime. I believe in change, forgiving and second chances, though I also believe that if you do the crime, you should do the time. My brother is a felon. Yeah, he broke into a car and took 800 bucks and went to the owner's door and gave it to her and told her some boys did it and he got it from them!! He got locked up AND a felony for being a schizophrenic and bipolar man who couldn't afford meds. so some people have REASON to complain about our not so perfect justice system!! Heck, some of these felons shouldn't even be out, but are. Goes both ways. Should depend on the crime offender's history both mentally and record history!
Good Post!!

Our prison systems (especially in NC) are full of mentally ill, homeless, and/or substance-addicted who are sometimes just in need of some help that they will NEVER get from the DOC!

And when they DO get out they will never find a job because of the felony and stigma attached to that and maybe being a person with a history of mental and substance issues. But you have mean-spirited folks out there who think it is OK to constantly shun people and never give a second chance. And some of them are politicians and almost all corporations have zero-tolerance hiring policies for felons.

The revolving door of the prisons keeps well oiled and turning because of our state governments near-sightedness in addressing crime.

Last edited by roncorey1; 10-27-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

66 posts, read 130,839 times
Don't me wrong..I believe in justice being served 100 percent, but address the issue first, the reasoning behind the crime!! My brother stole NOTHING...his offense screamed mental illness. I called there to tell them that I agree he needs help. He needs help to this day..but since he is unable to recieve it..he continues to have stupid little run ins with the law. The justice system does NOT take anything into account besides the crime! Sad, because if we could turn just one person around..it's a blessing. Grrrrrr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point