Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,992 times

Advertisements

There is no one at the IRC by this name. You can however contact Will Howard at the IRC for more information concerning the jobs program at the Interactive Resource Center. [email]howard_will@ymail.com[/email] or call 336-332-0824. You can also visit the center at 3015 E. Bessemer Ave., Greensboro, NC, between the hours of 8a.m. and 3p.m. monday thru friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:40 PM

13 posts, read 83,383 times
I have watched this discussion for quite some time now. I have a felony. I can relate. It is hard to find a job. It is hard to get someone to give you a second chance.

In my situation, I did do wrong, I admitted to it. I never served any time in jail other than about 3 hours waiting to post bail. I received 30 hrs. community service and probation. I have the lowest level felony possible to get. It is non violent, non drug related. It happened 7 years ago.

Since then, I have gone back to school. I have graduated with honors and in the top 10% of my class with 2 degrees and now I am working on a 2nd bachelors and a masters at the same time. I am one year away from both. I have put in more than 200 hours community service. I even created a non profit program in my hometown.I have even student taught at a university back home. I have become a born again Christian. I have been a sunday school teacher, a mentor, a wife, and a mother. Some of which are the hardest jobs, I have ever held.

However, I can not get work. Not even work in sales or as a waitress or as a maid or a receptionist or a teacher or tutor or anything I have applied for. All of which I have references and experience. No one is willing to give someone with a felony a second chance this day in age. It is a scarlet letter stigma.

Now for all the comments of don't do the crime if you can't do the time. I have one question for all those who think this way. In you idea of justice, just when is my time done??? Those involved in my crime have forgiven me. The law has forgiven me. My savior has forgiven me. Can't you? Maybe take a look at yourself in the mirror. Have you never made a mistake? have you never done something you regretted later? Have you never gotten away with something that you could have gotten in trouble for if caught?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocpuden View Post
I need to find full time employment for convicted felons.
well,there is always license plate production.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,786 times
Is there anybody who is "SICK AND TIRED OF BEIN SICK AND TIRED" ? Im am beginning to feel unbearable frusrtation.... Its like the harder try, the harder I kicked in the face. Whats the point of going to school, only to finish and be turned down for a positon in your field because you are a felon. EVERYBODY makes mistakes, but only a few are punished. Im so ready to maintain a career, not just a job, so that I can provide for me and my kids, without having to struggle. I just dont get it....we are still human beings with dreams and goals. Just because we made a mistake does not mean that we still cant persue whatever it is we want to achieve...Key word: WE

Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM

273 posts, read 950,139 times
I can't imagine the frustration and what it must feel like trying to provide for your family and not being able to because you have a conviction. Unfortunately, especially in this economy, in this area, you will always be overlooked because of your conviction. Most companies today that have positions available to offer, can be extremely selective of who they choose, and having a felony puts your application at the bottom of the wastebasket. The best course for opportunity to have a career is to get involved. Find an area that interests you and do whatever you can to make yourself known in the best possible light. Show that you are a trustworthy person. You will have the most success from someone close to you that can see your true ability, and will give you a chance or can fight for you, because right now, on paper, you don't stand a chance. The support groups and network groups are great to make connections, however, you have to make yourself standout, because everyone is there for the same reason. What makes you better/more trustworthy/more qualified than the next person? Good luck to everyone who wants it.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,863 times
i have 2 kids to take care and i have a felony is there any jobs out there for me

Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 83,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasepp27 View Post
i have 2 kids to take care and i have a felony is there any jobs out there for me
not in this area. i have tried for almost 2 years. i have a masters degree. i am involved in several community volunteer projects. yet, most of the time i don't even get a call back.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
How about a life in Politics?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,836 times
I myself have a felony conviction. I tried to play Robin Hood to a very needy family by taking money from my job. I turned myself in, was arrested and was then but on 1 year probation and pay fines. It's been hard and I had to leave my home, most of my family and friends behind to look for work. I have never had more than a speeding ticket in my life. All who found out were shocked about my conviction. It has hurt me and my family. For all of those with the "Can't do the time then don't do the crime" BS, listen up. Unless you have been in a dire situation yourself you will NEVER understand. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone can learn from those mistakes. What you do with your knowledge is what truly makes you who you are after. Some people will go back to being the felon again and again but there are people out there who deserve a second chance. There are some people who truly have taken their mistake and have learned from it but are at a road block because of the "Can't do the time..." idiots. My only advice is to try to apply for jobs that do not check backgrounds or temp agencies that don't mind a felony conviction. They are hard to find but they are out there. It's like the other person said. "Give yourself the experience and let them know you can be trusted." And do what you can to do either a Set Aside or Expongement. I have been working at a job for almost two years now, have made it to a manager's position and since they do not require a background check I did not need to disclose it. Also too, contact a local Parole or Probation office to see if they have any lists of companies that do hire felons. I hope this helps in the endeavors of others and opens the minds of the "lifestyle based" people reading this. Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,449 times
My name is Anthony Alford, i just moved to Greensboro from chadbourn nc to find employment and do what ever's nessasary to raise my son. I do however have a conviction of armed robbery under my belt that will always be there. not trying to rationalize with any of you because i dont know you or care how you feel towards me, ima man and by me pleading guilty to my actions i accepted the concenquences and spent 16,17,18,19, and most of 20 in the state penatentary. Im not gonna say that i've paid my debt to society because i've done that plus more and to me you can't say if i have or not. I am now 21 and im out here looking very hard for employment, i know my fellony has disqualified me on numerous occasions but i wont stop looking! my advice to anyone in my shoes is just always stay focus, keep a since of humor and never go back........ so if anyone has any suggestions you can contact me [email]amalford89@yahoo.com[/email], be safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point