Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:55 PM

186 posts, read 173,764 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting and it seems that houses in the 200-350 range are nicer in Greensboro. The schools are rated better as well. Any insight on why this is the case? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 04:28 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
I'm somewhat surprised by that. Winston-Salem's economy is doing better right now. Otherwise I can't think of a reason.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm somewhat surprised by that. Winston-Salem's economy is doing better right now. Otherwise I can't think of a reason.

Thanks for replying! Ardmore and Lindley Park seem comparable and Lindley is cheaper. Same with the less expensive homes in Buena Vista and Sunset Hills...

It's a big decision. I hope it is a we can't go wrong either way...

Old 12-13-2015, 05:14 AM

I guess the proximity to Baptist hospital drives up Ardmore prices. I'd compare Buena Vista more with Irving Park, but Sunset Hills is a beautiful neighborhood.

Are you working in G'boro?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I guess the proximity to Baptist hospital drives up Ardmore prices. I'd compare Buena Vista more with Irving Park, but Sunset Hills is a beautiful neighborhood.

Are you working in G'boro?

Irving Park is beautiful but the schools don't look so great... we have little ones and would like to avoid paying for private if we can.

Husband has a job where we can live anywhere. I will go back to teaching in a few years!

Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 AM

Oh, I wasn't recommending Irving Park, I just think of it and Buena Vista as being comparable neighborhoods in price, "prestige", architecture, etc. Having attended Aycock Middle School many years ago, i definitely don't recommend it, lol.

G'boro is a great place to live and raise a family. I'm sure you'll be happy there.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:48 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Yeah, as CarolinaDawg mentioned, the short answer is probably the hospitals. Not just Baptist, either. Ardmore is situated between both of the large Winston-Salem hospitals, Baptist (Wake Forest Baptist Health) and Forsyth (Novant). The area is chock-full of medical professionals, including residents who might not make a ton of money yet, but have access to home loans the rest of us can't get and are willing to pay a premium to live close to work. Plus Wake Forest's med school is (for now) on the campus of Baptist, so you've got med students in the mix who have crazy hours and want to live close.

And Ardmore's schools are okay, but the better schools are to the northwest of downtown (but I believe we went through all that in another thread, so I won't rehash).

Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the response! That makes sense... I have only flown in and out of Greensboro but after reading a lot here pretty much everyone says they are interchangeable. We are not picky either! I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing something

Some houses in the Meadowlark zone are high on our list. We don't want to go much further out than that though.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:12 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Just finding a couple of homes you like better in that price range doesn't lead to the conclusion that homes in that range are "nicer" in GSO than W-S. I seriously doubt there is any difference in the quality of homes you find between these two cities in the same price range. Different areas are going to be slightly different - even within the same city in the same price range.

I would just decide where I wanted to live and look for a house there. You aren't going to get a significantly better deal/better house in one city over the other...they are practically the same city. Schools are not better or worse overall between GSO and W-S either...both have their excellent, good, average, and bad individual schools and you just have to look into them on an individual basis.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 AM

We are moving soon and the question was based on what I have seen listed in the last 6-12 months. That is why I said "seems". I think both cities are beautiful which is why we would live in either one! It really comes down to which city we can get the house that we like better in. In Greensboro we are looking at the Sternberger/Lindley, Kiser, Grimsley and in Winston, Whitaker/Brunson (younger one will most likely have to go to private until 3rd or 6th if Brunson), Wiley, Reynolds or the area that feeds into Meadowbrook Elem, MS and Regan.

Lindley Park looks well-established, great houses, close to the city, good schools, and in the low to mid 200's. I don't see a comparable neighborhood in Winston. Houses in Buena Vista are pricier and look very similar to Sunset Hills to me (I could be totally wrong about that since I have never been to Sunset Hills). Comparable schools as well although Kiser and Grimsley are rater higher than Wiley and Reynolds. PP mentioned that Irving Park may be more like Buena Vista but given the schools we have ruled that out when there are so many other options.

We haven't lived in Winston for over 10 years and a lot can change in that time. We have moved so much and have elem school and preschool daughters so we are getting to NC and buying right away. We can be happy anywhere! I just asked the question to make sure we weren't missing something...

I appreciate all of the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point