U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM

53 posts, read 250,368 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Arizona, and I'd like to start a vegetable garden; however, I don't know much about the planting season here. I tried to find books at the library, but none were specific to this region. I'd like to get advice about the clay soil and how to get the best results. If anyone has gardening knowledge or knows of a good website, book, or local group (I live in Lexington) that can give me tips, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to start getting my seedlings ready indoors, but I am worried that it may be too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 AM

26 posts, read 119,470 times
I live in Thomasville and have terrible soil. Raised gardens work great in this area I have been told.

Here is a great link that I use:

Gardening in the Carolinas - GardenWeb

..lots of local threads on all types of information in your area. There is a lot of helpful information on the all the questions you will run into tending to your garden.

I just started some seedlings (peppers), and going to grow them in 5 gallon buckets indoors until it warms up.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 AM

273 posts, read 850,724 times
We created a vegetable garden last year when we moved. We tilled up a space in our yard and had to add a ton of dirt to bring it up to the right level. One thing that we learned about that I didn't think about until it was done was to do a platform garden. You essentially build a box on top of your yard (no tilling) and just add the dirt to the box. You can do any size box you want and can be an easy way of keeping your veggies separate. If I had to do it over, this would be the route I would go, since the clay is really tough to get started. Good luck

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM

9,568 posts, read 27,048,370 times
I'm in Raleigh but we have the same red clay to deal with. Here are some photos of a raised bed I created to deal with the issue.

Gardening in Raleigh ~ beat the red clay: Pictures of a raised garden bed project.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:52 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,643,168 times
Default reply

I suggest buying a copy of The North Carolina Gardener's Guide. It is a great resource for natives and newcomers alike.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM

53 posts, read 250,368 times
Thank you for all of the tips. I had made 3 raised garden beds in Arizona; soil was sandy there. Will do again! I was hoping to avoid carpentry, but I guess not. I think I'll let my kids paint the boxes, that'll get them excited about it.
I'll have wait til the weather clears! The snow is great!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM

Yeah I glad it is snowing too! Wished it was Friday, so I would not have to go to work tomorrow...

Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,903,018 times
The Cooperative Extension service out of NCSU has a great website.

They have many links about vegetables and just plain gardening in NC.

Urban Horticulture

Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,044,384 times
Actually the red clay here is quite workable, when you mow your yard, use the grass clippings to mulch your plants, this is the time of the year to spread some lime and fertilizer and turn the soil. Once it gets growing I use miracle grow about once every two weeks. My garden is normally about a half an acre, I get a lot of tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, squash, broccoli, cantalopes, watermelons, okra, corn, spinach, carrots - I don't plant peas or beans because if I do, the deer come in, eat the peas and beans then finish off the rest of the garden, without the peas or beans the deer don't eat anywhere near as much.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 PM

Good weekend to turn the compost, and place out the preventives....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point