U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM

779 posts, read 2,932,872 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am about to start studying for my GRE and not only must I brush up on my skills, I must fully embrace my math deficits and get cracking! Where is a good place to study on a regular basis that is quiet and reliable? Of all the Greensboro libraries, which one is the nicest, cleanest? Are some open longer than others? Is it possible to study at the UNCG, Greensboro or Guilford campuses without feeling like I'm intruding?

I just got my BA last August from an out-of-state college and want to apply for Graduate school, starting this November, for the following Fall semester in 2010. Apparently I'm right on schedule! I am planning on taking the test twice, to see if I can improve my score. But really, my chaotic apartment, barking dog and hyperactive pre-schooler are just a little too much on a regular basis for the nuts and bolts.

Can ya help me out here? Thanks!!

P.s. here's a thought: do you know where the GRE tests are administered? Then I could possibly try to study in the same building, for state and situational-dependant learning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 21,572 times
avoid the Greensboro central library (the biggest one in downtown Gboro). It was nice right when it first opened, and it still looks nice on the inside, but it has really been taken over by the poor and homeless in the area.. the computers are always taken, as well are most of the nicer areas for studying/ reading.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM

11 posts, read 33,805 times
The central library is nice. But if you want to insulate yourself from certain types of people than it may not be for you.

Anyone of us could find ourselves among the poor and homeless.

sad...

Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM

14 posts, read 21,572 times
Maybe I could have phrased the post better... the central library is nice... and very big...

What is sad is that I was mugged there once (upstairs), and almost twice, right outside the entrance... What is sad is that all of the couches on the first floor are occupied for hours on end by people napping...

I have spent many hours at the central library, as they offer the quickest way to a computer, back when I needed one with internet and didn't have it at home... so I assume what I've seen there is close to normal.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 AM

779 posts, read 2,932,872 times
Thanks. Wow! I guess I will have to check out that particular library and make an informed decision. I know there is supposed to be one near those new New Garden shops (Target, Fresh Market) but I can't seem to find it. The Benjamin Library near Battleground, where I live is closed for renovation.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM

254 posts, read 826,106 times
Ninth floor of Jackson library at UNCG is a great place for studying. Rarely anyone up there, never much noise, and a great view to the north.
I go there all the time. Everyone is welcome.
One caution: If you're female, I've known a few who have been flashed by weirdos at various times on different floors of the library. Never assaulted or approached - just some pervert standing 20-30 feet away and whipping it out. Last time I was told about this was a couple of years ago, so maybe they now have it under control.
Might be a bonus if you enjoy surprises, though.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,088 times
Just a little bit late, on my part, but the relatively new Kathleen- Clay Branch off of Jefferson is really nice, quiet and woodsy.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,318,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savangirl View Post
Just a little bit late, on my part, but the relatively new Kathleen- Clay Branch off of Jefferson is really nice, quiet and woodsy.
Almost 3 years, I think the OP is finished with classes now.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM

479 posts, read 731,468 times
yeah, three years is a good while. : )

I've often thought that the "flasher" stories...Jackson library at UNCG. Were urban legends or snipe stories similar to Payne Rd. Being if the ole' guy is still flashing, I'm pretty ding dang sure he'd worn out more than a few zippers by now. It's been a library story for "decades."

Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,318,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
yeah, three years is a good while. : )

I've often thought that the "flasher" stories...Jackson library at UNCG. Were urban legends or snipe stories similar to Payne Rd. Being if the ole' guy is still flashing, I'm pretty ding dang sure he'd worn out more than a few zippers by now. It's been a library story for "decades."
Payne Rd in Forsyth Co?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point