U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,185,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Look up!

Over there!

Trying to get in the door!

On the doorknob!

On the wall! (http://www.westol.com/%7Etowhee/images/snakwall.jpg - broken link)

On the roof!
You are evil and must be destroyed

You should put a disclaimer on those photos I bet there are some readers who just had to go change their underwear and clean off the computer chair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,588,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
You are evil and must be destroyed

You should put a disclaimer on those photos I bet there are some readers who just had to go change their underwear and clean off the computer chair
Hahaha!!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

They'll get used to them. Shucks, they'll probably end up with a few of them as household pets. They sure do like to snuggle in bed. But they're kind of cold and slinky as they crawl over your body.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM

311 posts, read 812,006 times
SILVERWING, those were the worst links EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is not funny!!!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,234,453 times
Don't be wusses.

I saw a copperhead curled up, and I did what I'm sure you would do: I very slowly and quietly walked backward as quickly and efficiently as I could. Yes,I said slowly and quickly.

One snake in 16 years. Big whoop. Or is it big whup? I don't know.

In most places, there are cat leash laws. Don't get a cat to take care of snakes.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,588,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
SILVERWING, those were the worst links EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is not funny!!!
Yeah SILVERWING! Enough!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,764,009 times
Are the Black Racers the ones dead all over the roads around Wallburg in May? Every time I've visited my family in Wallburg, there's about 50 dead ones on the roads around their neck of the woods.

I'm a NYer, too. Nothing in my neighborhood snake wise. I haven't even seen a Garter Snake in my garden.

I'd be more worried about the mosquitoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, influx of northerners taking over (I know the natives will appreciate that one ), occasional snowfall in which no one knows how to drive or has the clean up equipment so the whole town shuts down and you now need to figure out what to with your kid since school is closed.

Have fun! They don't eat much. Little nibble here and little there. No biggie.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
I guess this warm spell has got them stirring. Found this little guy out by the shed last night.

snake by shed

Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 AM

58 posts, read 170,265 times
Okaaaaaay, a special thanks to Kootr and Silverwing for the sleepless nights I'm about to have, I might as well call my doctor now for some Ambien or Xanax, if the market was any better....I'd sell my house..... pack up and go back up North now, besides I'm not making enough money down here.......thanks to everyone for caring to comment. (dialing the phone to call MD for prescription)

Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 AM

273 posts, read 850,654 times
LLN

Thank you for finding that one! This thread is getting hilarious.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,198,934 times
Okay. I have to be honest here. The first summer and fall we were here I would not walk on the lawn. Saw too many things moving around. My husband thought that this was hysterical since we had moved from Ft. Lauderdale and the whole bug/critter situation is worse there. (You haven't lived until you been buzzed by a Palmetto bug-flying roach!) Anyway we got the boots and I became more comfortable.

We haven't seen any snakes on our property but I know they are out there since we have a creek and pond nearby and a lot of trees. My husband is the one that has issues with the snakes. I am the spider phobic.

Two boring stories: My husband's job was going out and marking the utilities on people's property before they began digging or work. He saw a lot of interesting things. One day he was walking back to his truck with the owner of the property he just marked. They were chatting away when all of sudden the man pushed my husband away. He was a little startled as he saw the man stick the shovel he was carrying in the ground. The man just looked at him and said "snake" and continued their converstion. My husband got taller boots.

I was out in front of the house one fine autumn night stargazing when I looked down and saw a big black spider the size of Montana walking towards me. I had encountered these babies before and my husband stopped coming outside to kill them for me. But this one was headed not for me but for a little frog that was looking for dinner near my front garage door. I ran to get my husband yelling a spider was going to kill a frog. He thought I was confused until he came out and got the spider right before he got to the little frog. We laughed so hard because he thought it was the other way around and why was I so worried about a spider.

I tell these stories because you have to find some humor in these situations. I could stay in the house or venture out bravely into the depths of my yard. You just have to be careful and keep your eyes open. Most snakes don't want to encounter you either.

Just keep looking down and looking up. And once in a while look staight ahead so you don't bump into anything.

Also if I had any spare Xanax left over from my first year here, I would be glad to share. But they are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point