U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,588,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I guess you haven't been introduced to some of the overly religious wingnuts around here who draw the line connecting snakes to the womens' curse. I mean, there was a certain lady named Eve who had a forbidden conversation with a snake, which started the whole mess Maybe the fear some women have for those creatures is just Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

<I YI YI. waiting for the flames to begin from the holy-types >
"...the women's curse"! Lordy, I'm staying out of that one! I'm still laughing about snaaaakes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:05 PM

58 posts, read 170,249 times
My goodness silverwing..............I didn't expect you to get on the soapbox and preach........in all seriousness, I love and respect nature and love to hear the roosters crow at dawn and love to see deer roaming on my property, and frogs and turtles (just so you know.........I once made a tossed salad for a turtle living in my yard......I had dessert for it too...........but it never returned). I never mentioned I would kill any snakes, though my husband might......I could never get close enough to do so...............but I do not, repeat..........do not like them in any way, shape or form, I don't have to. There was a cotton-mouth at the pool house here,...........so if I can prevent them from coming on my property by putting down moth-balls, and snake repellent and turning into the "cat-lady" after I purchase 50 cats...........so be it!!! And I just knew someone would bring Eve into this........................., well do you blame her(?).................Adam could cover himself with only a fig leaf!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswinendine View Post
My goodness silverwing..............I didn't expect you to get on the soapbox and preach........in all seriousness, I love and respect nature and love to hear the roosters crow at dawn and love to see deer roaming on my property, and frogs and turtles (just so you know.........I once made a tossed salad for a turtle living in my yard......I had dessert for it too...........but it never returned). I never mentioned I would kill any snakes, though my husband might......I could never get close enough to do so...............but I do not, repeat..........do not like them in any way, shape or form, I don't have to. There was a cotton-mouth at the pool house here,...........so if I can prevent them from coming on my property by putting down moth-balls, and snake repellent and turning into the "cat-lady" after I purchase 50 cats...........so be it!!! And I just knew someone would bring Eve into this........................., well do you blame her(?).................Adam could cover himself with only a fig leaf!
Hahahaha!!! Good one! Adam was snakeless! But so was Eve...

Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 PM

58 posts, read 170,249 times
Kootr you are hilarious!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,297,211 times
run screaming.it works.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:10 PM

14 posts, read 21,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
OOOHHHHH. Lindor white chocolate truffles. Now craving them.

Kootr, if we didn't complain, what would you guys complain about???? It's the cycle of life.

And snakes are evil.

I still want the truffles.

Okay now I need medication.
Snakes are evil? Why? The snake hasn't done a thing to you, but it is evil because it is ________ (insert random false/unfounded fear).. most slide away when approached, very few are venomous, even fewer are truly dangerous.. in reality, snakes are smart and very fascinating creatures.. I say the ignorant person that beheads the harmless and innocent snake is FAR more evil than the victim of his/her action.

Instead of spending the money on chocolate and sleeping pills, why don't you spend the money on a natural museum ticket or nature magazine to inform yourself on how harmless and interesting snakes really are.

If millions of people can live and thrive in the south with the rare snake/ bug encounter, then you have absolutely no excuse, IMO.

There is a lot to love about the Southeast... and with a little knowledge and a bit more respect for nature, there is nothing to fear, either.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times
You're more likely to see a snake in a rural wooden area than you are in a Subdivision. That doesn't mean they don't lurk around people's homes, but chances are you'll be lucky to see one a year. And even if you do, it's likely harmless and can actually be a "friend", especially if your'e a gardener and have rodent problems, unless it's a Copperhead. Oh, and always wear shoes when you're outside, I came close to learning that the hard way when I almost stepped on a Copperhead barefoot.

I've found most snakes like to live in areas where there is alot of forest, wood piles, and lakes. Rockingham and most of the sandhills, where there is a lot of wooden area, are good places to see them. I went fishing this weekend in Columbia and saw a couple of black snakes slithering near the lake I was it, they were probably looking for some rodents, mind you I was in a heavily wooded area as well.

Personally, I'm more worried about virus-carrying mosquitoes(oh how I hate those insects) than I am a snake. I do get freaked out by snakes w/out warning, but i am aware most of them are good for the enviroment. Don't bother them, they'll do the same, is a good motto.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Many of the snakes found in established neighborhoods are transported in by pine needle bales harvested in the sandhills and SC. The snakes will get out of the bales and make their home in your yard. The small snakes grow quickly into large ones. You may go months and not see one, but they're looking at you from the bushes, trees, pine needle natural areas, etc.

Also, if there is any wooded areas or new construction nearby you can expect to have snakes. Cute little buggers!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,198,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepandFetch View Post
Snakes are evil? Why? The snake hasn't done a thing to you, but it is evil because it is ________ (insert random false/unfounded fear).. most slide away when approached, very few are venomous, even fewer are truly dangerous.. in reality, snakes are smart and very fascinating creatures.. I say the ignorant person that beheads the harmless and innocent snake is FAR more evil than the victim of his/her action.

Instead of spending the money on chocolate and sleeping pills, why don't you spend the money on a natural museum ticket or nature magazine to inform yourself on how harmless and interesting snakes really are.

If millions of people can live and thrive in the south with the rare snake/ bug encounter, then you have absolutely no excuse, IMO.

There is a lot to love about the Southeast... and with a little knowledge and a bit more respect for nature, there is nothing to fear, either.
I am not quite sure if you read all the posts on this thread. While the op was expressing real concerns, there was a certain lightheartedness in this thread. And as to why you decided to single me out is bewildering to me. I have lived in the southeast for over 40 years. But you wouldn't know that since you don't know me. All but two of those years in Ft. Lauderdale. I have probably encountered and handled more snakes and other fascinating creatures than you have or ever will by virtue of living near the Everglades and spending time there. So don't lecture me about visiting museums. I saw the real thing. Up close. And not in a book. And I never advocated killing snakes. If you are referring to the snake the gentlemen with my husband killed-it was a small copperhead. Excuse the man for not wanted to get bit.
And since you apprently have an issue understanding what you are reading, perhaps you should reseve how you judge people until you can grasp what you are reading.

There always seem to be someone who has to post and be a downer.

Perhaps a truffle would help you lighten up.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,233,142 times
My North Carolina Bug Story

I was a western New Yorker and moved to NC to a house that needed a lot of work, but it was okay, it had great bones.

The very first day we moved into the house, I opened the patio draperies (awful ones that came with the house), and a palmetto bug, at least 3 inches by 2 inches and 1 inch tall, FELL INTO MY HAIR. My hair is long, and I COULD NOT GET IT OUT.

I had never seen such a large bug in my life. I could feel it stuck in my hair. I thought my heart would surely stop.

I screamed very loud girly screams (I'm female, I'm allowed) and danced like a crazy woman in circles while furiously trying to brush the gigantic creature from my head.

It finally fell, and it took more than a couple of stomps to kill it.

I scared my poor children to death.

It was a good thing I'd already signed the closing papers. Otherwise, I'd be living elsewhere right now. (Somewhere more northerly.)

I never saw another palmetto bug again.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-09-2009 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point