U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM

36 posts, read 66,992 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the Charlotte forumn...but thought I'd ask this question in this area based on the fact that we plan to move to this area. BUT.....lots of comments about bugs in NC. Just curious what kind? How prevelant? Seasonal? Horrible??? I know we can have nasty mosquito season or even black fly season up here. But what is the situation w/ bugs in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Bugs? We don't have them in the Triad. We send them all to Charlotte.

Actually I think it's not too bad at all here. Of course there are mosquitos in the summertime, some years worse than others, but overall they're manageable. There are a few specialized bugs that every youth growing up in NC would know about:

--Horseflies. They bite, and they're huge. Fortunately you rarely see them unless you're swimming.
--Redbugs (or chiggers) are especially nasty little things that know how to find the most sensitive places on your body to burrow themselves into, causing intense itching for several days. Yikes!
--Yellowflies have a painful bite, and you just can't shake them. A single one will buzz around your head all afternoon. Found mostly in the deep woods, so you don't encounter them very often.
--Bowling bugs. They're not a problem, but I mention them only because some people up nawth who don't know any better call them "roly-poly bugs". Just a little language tip so people won't look at you funny.

And one thing about Charlotte vs. the Triad--fire ants! Charlotte has them, Winston-Salem doesn't. The "too cold for them" line obviously runs just north of Charlotte. When I lived in Charlotte, I battled them all the time. But I've lived in the Triad for 15 years and I've never seen them here. I don't miss them at all.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
We recently moved to Upstate SC from W-S. Last summer, I found the bugs to be worse in SC than NC.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,185,972 times
Japanese Beetles can be a problem around here
Japanese Beetles in the Urban Landscape | University of Kentucky Entomology

I battled them for three years, each year trying to be a 'green' gardener and setting out traps, using a hose to flush the infestation from trees and bushes, and hand-picking them from my flowers. After the third year of seeing my rose bushes and Kwanzan cherry trees totally purged of greenery, I said "f* this" and just bombed all my acreage with bug killer. It took a couple more years to drive them out, since they have an above and below ground stage, but I finally got rid of the pests. Still, each year I set out the traps to catch the few stragglers that linger.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 21,568 times
YellowJackets are the worst, by far.... luckily, it is rare to ever come across a large nest... in the deep south, however, there are the Perennial Yellowjackets, and the nest can grow very large.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,959,048 times
Bugs can be a problem here in NC just like anywhere else. Not as bad as Georgia on mosquitoes, not as bad as Virginia as bees, not as bad as deeper south on fire ants...

but we do have them.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 AM

627 posts, read 1,863,927 times
Palmetto bugs, a.k.a. American cockroaches. They get all up in your bizness around here.
By the way the best way to keep any crawling insect out of your house is use Borax (yes laundry detergent).
http://www.championpestcontrol.com/images/americancockroach.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 AM

36 posts, read 66,992 times
Default borax

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Palmetto bugs, a.k.a. American cockroaches. They get all up in your bizness around here.
By the way the best way to keep any crawling insect out of your house is use Borax (yes laundry detergent).

Thanks for the info. Do you know Borax is good for so much! Love that stuff.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 AM

62 posts, read 168,747 times
Do you just sprinkle some Borax around the OUTSIDE perimeter of the house?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,839 times
Oh my God, Palmetto bugs are cockroaches! I tried to tell myself I wasn't finding cockroaches in my house!! I luckily have only found a few every summer. We get bombed by lady bugs which I guess are actually Lady Asian beetles and it drives me crazy. They invade at the end of fall, but I am still finding them! Here is a link:

Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures | University of Kentucky Entomology

We also get these really ugly cricket things in our basement and they sometimes end up in our house. I do think people try to scare new people about the bugs here and it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I have to say it is more bugs than I am use to, but besides the ladybugs, we are doing fine and haven't had to use chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point