U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 24,872 times

Advertisements

I need help. I'm moving to Greensboro in June and have decided Northwest High School is where my Daughter will go so we'll live in that district. Well, I need some help in deciding what sub-divisions are best in terms of airport noise. I have all the maps from the airport that show the flights in and out and their routes, but it's all Greek to me because I don't know the distances from the airport to the various subdivisions in that area and what level of airport noise is really load or you can't even hear it. The subdivisions where I've found homes so far that peak my interest are: River Hills, Oak Bend, the Cardinal, Cardinal Commons, Hawthorne Chase, Knolls of Hawthorne, Cabot Park, Lansdown. Not being from the area I'm really at a disadvantage. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 PM

26 posts, read 119,481 times
I remember seeing residents of the Cardinal protest before on the news about the Fed Ex Hub being built awhile back because of the noise it was going to bring.

...Well the Fed Ex Hub is almost complete, and soon to open in 2009 (FedEx hub set for 2009, CEO says : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina)

Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
I guess that depends on what you determine as 'noisy.' Living in the northeast corner of High Point airplanes constantly fly around our house. Do I hear them? Yep
Do they bother me? Nope. Usually they are high enough so that the noise isn't bothersome.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Definitely make sure you are outside the Noise Contour area before you buy. That will help with the noise. Check it here (it's an Adobe PDF file)- https://www.flyfrompti.com/gee/doc/NOISE_CONTOURS.PDF (broken link)

"Noise Contours as developed by the FAA from the Final Environmental Impact Statement for Proposed Runway 5L/23R, proposed new overnight express air cargo sorting and distribution facility, and associated improvements dated November 2001. "

Questions on it should be directed to Mickey Elmore @ 336-665-5600.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,044,384 times
try to avoid the NW portion of Greensboro.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM

392 posts, read 410,620 times
Hi everyone... I'm bumping this up.

The noise contour study is dated 2001 and the link to the story re the hub opening is pretty dated too. I hunted around and found some newer articles.

This article (http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-fedexdelaysopeningofgreens-8149107,0,5963935.story - broken link)states the earliest as Fall, 2009, but this article (http://www.greensboro3.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetai l=1431&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&rest ate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&r ebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2762&hn=greensbor o3&he=.com - broken link)dated December 2008 says its opening in June 2010. It looks to be dependent on the economy and demand for FedEx.

Has anyone found a newer noise impact map later than 2001? Better yet, have the flights started to come in and out of PTI? How bad is it thus far? How does it impact Jamestown? Groometown?

It's contradictory... I'm sure the jobs and the opportunities that necessarily come with the influx of such an employer are most welcome, but the flight paths sorta wreck the better zip codes in the NW part of town. D'oh!

Thanks in advance.

Best,
L.Az

Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,447 times
Jamestown and Groometown Rd. area are 10-15 miles from the airport. You will hardly even notice airplanes at all. I would say the main areas to stay clear of if you are THAT worried about airplane noise would be Cardinal / River Hills.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
If you like, you can call the Piedmont Triad Airport Authority and ask for Mickey Elmore- he's the guy who can tell you exactly where a particular home will be in relation to the air traffic and noise. I think his number is 336-665-5600.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM

164 posts, read 313,100 times
Bumping........

Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,255 times
We had encountered the same problem when we were moving to the city two years ago. We looked at all of the neighborhoods that you had mentioned. Because the Fed Ex hub will not be fully functioning until 5 years from now, there is no way to project the amount of noise at that time. I can just tell you from my research there is going to be a great number of planes flying in and out of that hub during the hours of 3am and 5am. Because of that, we decided to move to the Northern area into Northern schools. Now that we have been here awhile, we feel we made the right decision for our family. Love the area and the schools. The one drawback is that there is very little in light of stores, resturants, so we have to drive a little more than we would like. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point