Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM

58 posts, read 191,413 times

Advertisements

[quote by WFW&P]This is not just a southern issue, its a national issue. I agree with SC122's comment. Stay on course and don't worry about other people

Its in my nature/profession to care, I'm a nurse. Would you take advice from and/or question the judgment of a physician who chain smokes cigarettes? Come on we have to set examples for our children.......in most cases obese children come from obese adults. Wrong eating habits is a learned behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times
I think that yes, it's getting to be a national trend, but initially It's seen more in the southern states. That poster had a good point about how many people used to farm and thus, worked it off, back in the day. However, the favorite means of cooking here is frying, which everyone knows is unhealthy. I've been here 22 years from New England and have yet to make fried anything. Have never eaten barbeque and HATE krispie cream donuts. We tend to eat and cook the way we were brought up to. As to why people don't seem to care that they are fat, I think they probably do care, just not quite enough to do something about it.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,636 times
yes, I currently work for a rather large company in Winston and we have several people who've had gastric bypass. Weight Watchers is pretty common at the beginning of the year but by next month most will have stopped doing it.

I'm on the lower end of the weight range (still healthy) and people constantly make comments about my weight and what i eat (or don't eat haha) I just kind of ignore it and just be a good example.

Since working here I've had at least two coworkers ask for advice so it's a small step in the right direction.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswinendine View Post
[quote by WFW&P]This is not just a southern issue, its a national issue. I agree with SC122's comment. Stay on course and don't worry about other people

Its in my nature/profession to care, I'm a nurse. Would you take advice from and/or question the judgment of a physician who chain smokes cigarettes? Come on we have to set examples for our children.......in most cases obese children come from obese adults. Wrong eating habits is a learned behavior.
You know the old cliche about the horse & water. What I meant by staying the course is to keep practicing healthy eating habits for you & your family & don't let the others steer you away. Who knows some of your habits just might begin to rub off on your co-workers. If it does be supportive, if not just remember you can lead a horse....... well you know.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 191,413 times
Ok,..........I understand what you're saying now.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,158 times
Indeed,be a good example to others,that's one thing you can do that says a lot.(besides feed the donuts to the birds ) Bringing healthy snacks can help,too.Most ppl will eat veg's if they're served along with a low-fat dressing,like ranch.

My mom used to tell me not to smoke,it's bad for you..as she was puffing a cig.did she really think I thought nothing of trying them myself?? I didn't.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 PM

I will confess that I'm overweight, though not obese. Mswinendine is right poor eating habits are learned and they are hard to change. Every time I visit my parents Mom wants to load me up with food. I usually decline the offers, however I find this very annoying.
Has this ever happened to anyone; a friend or family member starts a diet and they pass all of their junk food on to you.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM

7 posts, read 14,038 times
Default Obesity in NC ....

We are a fat COUNTRY! It's probably not as noticable in big cities with public transist, people tend to have shorter commutes and not sit behind the wheel as much. We are fat and lazy, we have 40 minute drives to work, we sit in front of the TV or computer every night, we have taken phys ed out of a lot of schools ....
I feel sorry for the obese but it's their issue - there are more important things to worry about than someone at work knocking out a dozen Krispy Kremes a week.
The concern for your children is different. You have a small window of opportunity to train your child in all manner of behaviors, including eating and diet. We have been very careful with our son in that respect. When he was younger we were constantly declining candy offered by strangers, bank tellers, checkout girls, etc. You will have to be even more careful once the kid gets into school, shoolmates will be eating all manner of junk and he'll say "that's what everyone else eats"

Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,158 times
I've always been careful w my kids,too.I get juice (100%,not hi-c,kool aid or anything else fake),fruit roll-ups.etc.,healthy snacks for them.I don't mind ice cream as a snack though...I think it's healthier than chips or cookies,esp if it's low fat.

what I hate is when our (extended) family gets together,usually at a buffet..I prefer to just get a salad,some vegetables and fruit,and I alwaysss get the 'aren't you going to eat????!' line, like I'm wasting money,but I love salads,and that's the best place to get one!! it's hard to find a decent salad bar nowadays,most places just want to pre-make you one anymore.
btw,if you don't want to overeat at one of those places,then make sure to eat some yeast rolls first.I think the yeast tends to fill you up really fast,and I suspect the buffet restaurant owners know it!!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I've always been careful w my kids,too.I get juice (100%,not hi-c,kool aid or anything else fake),fruit roll-ups.etc.,healthy snacks for them.I don't mind ice cream as a snack though...I think it's healthier than chips or cookies,esp if it's low fat.

what I hate is when our (extended) family gets together,usually at a buffet..I prefer to just get a salad,some vegetables and fruit,and I alwaysss get the 'aren't you going to eat????!' line, like I'm wasting money,but I love salads,and that's the best place to get one!! it's hard to find a decent salad bar nowadays,most places just want to pre-make you one anymore.
btw,if you don't want to overeat at one of those places,then make sure to eat some yeast rolls first.I think the yeast tends to fill you up really fast,and I suspect the buffet restaurant owners know it!!
The two best non-buffet salad bars that I know of are Whole Foods in W-S & Earth Fare in Greensboro. If you're in the area with craving for a salad I recommend stopping in and checking them out. They charge by the pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point