U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,897,329 times

Advertisements

NC folks really know their barbecue.
A few years back myself a few pals from up North came to Virginia International Raceway for a car event. We rented a house in Va and during the day we made friends with a few of the locals that were at the track and invited them over to our house for a cookout.
We sent one of our guys to the supermarket to do some grocery shopping and when he returned we put him to work doing the "cooking".
We had a nice little spread with salads, dogs, burgers and some barbecue ribs. Everybody loved the food and one of the friends we made from NC commented that these were the best ribs that he ever ate.
He was lifelong NC resident and he and his wife had a nice time at our little get together.
Those "best ribs he ever had" come from Costco in a plastic bag with the sauce already on them. Lloyds was the brand name.
We never did tell our friend where we got the ribs because he was a NC barbecue expert and we did not want to spoil his day.

True story
PDD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,098,511 times
PDD, you are a bit confused. Barbecue and ribs are very different things. It's easy to see how your NC friend could be impressed by the store-bought ribs. We NC folks understand that ribs are much like domestic mega-brews (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) Any one is just about as good (or mediocre) as the other, while the micro-brews are what real beer drinkers truly enjoy. At pig pickins, we try to hide our laughter while outsiders are making a fuss over the ribs, thinking they really know what's what. Meanwhile us natives are enjoying the tenderloin and cracklins, winking at each other while the meat melts in our mouths. But even that isn't barbecue...it's a pig pickin.

You don't have barbecue until the meat is chopped, sauce is added, and the hushpuppies are done.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,660,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We never did tell our friend where we got the ribs because he was a NC barbecue expert and we did not want to spoil his day.

True story
PDD
Ribs ≠ BBQ!

BBQ is slow cooked pork - here is a picture.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
I am an NC native, but lived in Kansas where I was a judge for the annual state BBQ championship.

It was a learning experience to arrive on the scene and find that you are more likely to be offered wild boar bbq than pork bbq, lol.

I quickly learned "the language" and since I grew up eating both eastern and western NC BBQ (as well as SC mustard style BBQ) . . . and had smoked my own meats since a teen . . . I was able to hand out recipes for my own "rub" as well as thick, molasses laden tomato BBQ sauce (wh/ is very compatible w/ KC style sauce). However, folks were simply perplexed w/ my affection for pork BBQ and especially - vinegar based sauce.

It was a big deal to even find pork to make my own BBQ. I perfected briskets, tho . . . and introduced hundreds of people to my style of smoked chicken w/ an eastern NC vinegar based sauce.

My point w/ relaying this is that different regions have their own favorites when it comes to "Q" and those traditions go back a century or more. I would never have insulted anyone in the KCMO region by carrying on about pork bbq or sticking my nose up at KC tomato based sauces!!!! I expanded my BBQ repertoire.

As far as "what makes bbq" - that all depends on where you grew up or what type of BBQ you fell in love with when introduced to it. Here in NC, pork is KING just as beef is KING in KCMO.

If you don't like pork BBQ - which I find impossible to fathom, but to each his own - then you need to check out chains . . . and you need to start making your own bbq. Get a brisket and have at it! It is fun and you can learn how to be a great back yard chef - and introduce your Southern friends to your favorite style of BBQ. But for heaven's sake - don't disparage NC BBQ just cause it isn't what you are used to.

And as a side note: BBQ is best served w/ hush puppies or corn bread. And if you are gonna do a sandwich, the cheap buns are the BEST as they absorb the juice from the cole slaw, lol.

This ain't Paris - we don't eat BBQ on baguettes here.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 PM

29,829 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NC folks really know their barbecue.
A few years back myself a few pals from up North came to Virginia International Raceway for a car event. We rented a house in Va and during the day we made friends with a few of the locals that were at the track and invited them over to our house for a cookout.
We sent one of our guys to the supermarket to do some grocery shopping and when he returned we put him to work doing the "cooking".
We had a nice little spread with salads, dogs, burgers and some barbecue ribs. Everybody loved the food and one of the friends we made from NC commented that these were the best ribs that he ever ate.
He was lifelong NC resident and he and his wife had a nice time at our little get together.
Those "best ribs he ever had" come from Costco in a plastic bag with the sauce already on them. Lloyds was the brand name.

True story
PDD
You had just met him and probably were not going to see him again and you had hit it of real well. Is it possible he was just being polite about the ribs? Also how were the ribs cooked? Was it slow and at low heat? Isn't it the process that is being discussed?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM

676 posts, read 2,805,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You had just met him and probably were not going to see him again and you had hit it of real well. Is it possible he was just being polite about the ribs? Also how were the ribs cooked? Was it slow and at low heat? Isn't it the process that is being discussed?
I was thinking the same thing about how he was probably trying to be polite and complimenting the chef. I am full Italian and never had store bought tomato sauce. I had dinner at a friend's house in high school and was served spaghetti. To be polite, I complimented her mom and told her I loved her sauce. She laughed and said it was Prego! I didn't know about jarred sauce and was just trying to be nice. Those store bought ribs are decent and once they are grilled it is hard to tell it isn't your own sauce.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 PM

676 posts, read 2,805,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And as a side note: BBQ is best served w/ hush puppies or corn bread. And if you are gonna do a sandwich, the cheap buns are the BEST as they absorb the juice from the cole slaw, lol.

This ain't Paris - we don't eat BBQ on baguettes here.
Too funny. Now that you have made the Paris point, I get it. Could you imagine BBQ on a baguette?? It is just hard for me to completely understand because I won't even buy those cheapie buns for burgers. I guess I am a bread snob.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 17,386 times
You guys haven't even mentioned the 2 types of NC bbq. There is eastern and western. Lexington had the annual bbq festival last weekend. Vinegar or sweet sauce>? that is the question.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 AM

14 posts, read 33,481 times
KC BBQ isn't half bad. Ordered some one time and enjoyed it. There is a place in Greensboro that serves SC Style BBQ called "Chef Jack's". The food is pretty good and the potions are big. Here is a link for it Chef Jack's

I haven't found a place that has KC style BBQ. If I do I'll let you know about it.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,300,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
OK HeadDR:

Since this thread has given me so much pleasure pokin fun at and reading about other folks pokin fun at Yankees, I am gonna give you a catsup based hot and sweet sauce recipe. This is the best you will ever taste of that ilk. Keep it away from BBQ, however, but good on ribs, chicken, etc.

Enjoy:
JIM BOB's Sweet and Hot Barbeque Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 Cup Tomato Ketchup (8 fl oz, 250 ml)
  • 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (3 fl oz, 80 ml)
  • 1/4 Cup Orange Juice (2 fl oz, 60 ml)
  • 1/3 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar (3 oz, 90 g)
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
  • 3 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • dash of cinammon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 banana or jalepeno pepper cut in slices
Directions:

This is one of the easiest barbeque sauces you will ever make.
1) Basically all you need to do is mix up all the ingredients above in a medium saucepan.
2) Put the sauce on the stove over medium heat, and bring it up to a simmer (not boiling or bubbling, just a simmer).
3) Try to keep it at a simmer for about 15 minutes on medium heat. You need to be stirring the sauce occasionally.
You don't have to stir it the whole time, but I always find it comes out better when you give it a lot of attention. After the 15 minutes are up, you have the most delicious Catsup based sauce you'll ever taste!
..and with a name like Jim Bob,it HAS to be good!!
(jk'ing,it looks very tasty!) thanks for sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point