U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM

62 posts, read 168,902 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife recently relocated to the Winston-Salem area and we are very happy here. I grew up in Houston, but was living in Sacramento for the past 15 years. I hope I dont ruffle too many feathers (not my intention), but I really like BBQ but I have only found NC style BBQ. Its not that I dont like it, but I prefer tomato based, thick sauce BBQ on ribs, chicken etc....Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,968,254 times
Know what you mean...shortly after moving to San Antonio I was craving some BBQ...went to that place-that's everywhere out that way and asked for a plate....a plate of what- was the response.

Nope, not the same thing.

Here most BBQ is already chopped and ready for sandwiches but you can get whole shoulders and body parts like out west. Just ask at any BBQ place that you happen upon.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM

273 posts, read 851,663 times
I know what you mean about the different bbq. I love pork bbq, but there is nothing like a good brisket(lived in Houston for 3 yrs). I haven't found anything I'd call good, but as Vegas said, try some of the chains. Texas Roadhouse has decent bbq.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,101,701 times
Somebody needs to 'splain to you foreigners what the true facts is. The term "barbecue", sometimes abbreviated as bbq, refers to one thing, and one thing only--whole hog pork, slow cooked over wood coals while basted liberally with a vinegar/pepper sauce, then chopped and served with fries (candied yams are an acceptable substitute), cole slaw, and lots of hushpuppies and sweet tea. May also be served as a sandwich, piled high on a bun with slaw on top. This barbecue, which has become known as "eastern NC style", lies at the true epicenter of the culinary world--bet you thought it was Paris or New York, eh? WRONG!

Barbecue was invented in eastern NC, long before anyone in Memphis or Kansas City or (heaven forbid) Texas ever lit a bag of charcoal. Somewhere along the line some people added ketchup to the sauce, probably a lame attempt to disguise the fact that they mistakenly shot a cow for dinner instead of a pig, so by drowning it in icky sauce maybe no one would notice. Now, I'll admit some of that stuff is pretty good for filling your belly if you have nothing better to eat, but calling it "barbecue" is like referring to fish sticks as lobster.

Oh, and "barbecue" is a noun, never a verb.

Now, to the OP's question, where can you find this imitation grilled meat in Winston-Salem? Seems there aren't a lot of options besides the chains. There is a new ribs place downtown called "Bib's", on 5th St. just off Broad St. I haven't been there yet, but the reviews are generally good so far. Probably the closest thing you'll find to authentic western style. I'll also mention that every summer Winston hosts a "rib-fest" cook-off downtown--big street party that lasts a couple of days. I assume they'll be doing it again this year.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:43 AM

254 posts, read 826,730 times
The Rib Fest will be held (for some outlandishly bizarre reason) at the fairgrounds this year, and not downtown. I mean, why have it in a location where thousands can walk to it when you can put it in an area that's a pain to drive to and has no pedestrian access... Right?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM

807 posts, read 2,236,606 times
As a person who's had his share of Memphis,Arkansas,and Texas bbq I will say that NC BBQ changed my life! It's awesome!

We do have our share of awesome q joints over here,but I love NC style bbq!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM

676 posts, read 2,805,845 times
My biggest beef with NC BBQ is the buns. Why do they go through all this trouble to slow cook and marinate pork to stick it on some cheap, generic hamburger bun? In my opinion it deserves a far more high quality roll.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,301,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
My biggest beef with NC BBQ is the buns. Why do they go through all this trouble to slow cook and marinate pork to stick it on some cheap, generic hamburger bun? In my opinion it deserves a far more high quality roll.
absolutely.I can't really see it on texas toast,but perhaps a potato or yeast roll? a big,thick one.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,101 times
yeah well, i gre up in upstate ny, i never ate the good stuff drom memphis, or kc, or texas, but i have had lots of nc mess. most arent very good, filled with fat and grizzle. i guess thats what the locals like, to be honest locals from nc, dont take kindly to outsiders. they love their bbq, and hold it up higher than their bibles. honestly one man made a comment here, he might not know this but the reason eastern nc uses vinegar and not tomato based sauces, is because the locals years ago all used to think that tomato plants were posionous. yes thats true. not a lie. nc says it has the best barbeque(as does every other state). really they have two different kinds, the eastern style, and the westerm style. you say yours is the best, but you cant even make up your own minds in the in your own state! yeah i have been to places they all use the cheap buns, one thing in nc they dont know what good bread is. or hot dogs, but thats another story.... lol. i will probably get the usual go home yankee stuff from all the hypocritical locals, but what the hey, i am honest. barbeque is just slow cooking... doesnt have to be pork... can be anything.......

Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM
LLN

4,982 posts, read 8,766,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspantoni View Post
yeah well, i grew up in upstate ny,....
And there you have it!

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point