U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 240,620 times

Advertisements

I just took a job in Asheboro. I've never been there before (but it's a good job). I'm considering moving to Greensboro b/c it seems like there'd be more going on there, but I don't know. I'm in my early 40's, SWF, kind of a progressive hippie ex-northerner. How are the people in Asheboro? Tolerant? Open? Any kind of artsy community going on there? Good restaurants? I wish I could stay in Carrboro, but I've got to go where the work is. Advice? Thoughts?

curly
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
To me Asheboro = zoo. Congrats on a the new job!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
There is an good arts council and a huge pottery community (= Seagrove). I've never lived there but have friends in Asheboro. I'd guess it's relatively conservative. It took a looooong time to get an alcohol vote passed. Asheboro is nothing like Carrboro.

Having said that, I've always found it difficult to live in one community and work in another. You never really have time to become a part of either. If there's someone you can talk to openly at your new place of employment, I'd suggest that before making a housing commitment. Congratulations on "moving up" in this dicey economy!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
There is an good arts council and a huge pottery community (= Seagrove). I've never lived there but have friends in Asheboro. I'd guess it's relatively conservative. It took a looooong time to get an alcohol vote passed. Asheboro is nothing like Carrboro.

Having said that, I've always found it difficult to live in one community and work in another. You never really have time to become a part of either. If there's someone you can talk to openly at your new place of employment, I'd suggest that before making a housing commitment. Congratulations on "moving up" in this dicey economy!
Thanks :-) Well, I'll be commuting for a few weeks, so I guess I'll get a feel for the place during that time. I think I'm settled on Asheboro - I agree that working one place and living in another can make it difficult to really put down roots. I've been looking online for rentals, and so far I'm not seeing much of anything yet.

curly

Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 PM

26 posts, read 119,446 times
I used to live in Brassfield area in Greensboro, and commuted to work in Asheboro almost daily. It was at least an hour ride one way. Getting to HWY 220 from the Brassfield area took a lot longer than the drive to Asheboro once you were on the Highway. Gotta love the 70 mph speed limit on HWY 220! I ended up finding a job in Greensboro because the commute to me was no fun.

Good luck with the hunt!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 AM

320 posts, read 503,010 times
Asheboro is a nice town. I don't think it's too artsy however it's got a small town feel. Reminded me of where I lived in upstate NY near the Catskills

Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 AM

208 posts, read 572,068 times
It's a nice small town. Home of the NC Zoo, which is a pretty big deal.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Ok, I'm really confused now

So, for the past few days I've been looking on the web for a house for rent in Asheboro, and I can't find a damned thing. I see literally *hundreds* of homes for sale, that in this economy have probably been sitting on the market for months and months. I have emailed several realtors and have gotten no response. Nothing on craigslist. What is going on? Wouldn't you think people trying to sell their homes with no luck at all would be climbing over themselves to rent to a professional relocating to town? Whatever pays the mortgage, right? I just don't understand why it's so hard to find a place to live there! No vacant apartments, no vacant houses? Really?

curly

Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM

870 posts, read 1,967,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygc View Post
So, for the past few days I've been looking on the web for a house for rent in Asheboro, and I can't find a damned thing. I see literally *hundreds* of homes for sale, that in this economy have probably been sitting on the market for months and months. I have emailed several realtors and have gotten no response. Nothing on craigslist. What is going on? Wouldn't you think people trying to sell their homes with no luck at all would be climbing over themselves to rent to a professional relocating to town? Whatever pays the mortgage, right? I just don't understand why it's so hard to find a place to live there! No vacant apartments, no vacant houses? Really?

curly

I saw a few ad's in the local paper
http://www.courier-tribune.com/class...rtment_rental/

Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I saw a few ad's in the local paper
http://www.courier-tribune.com/class...rtment_rental/
Thanks for the heads up - I can't believe I didn't think of the local paper. *smacks self in forehead* I'm still kind of shocked about the realtors not returning calls though. They also have a house rental section - this is very helpful, thank you!

curly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point