U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,657,784 times

Advertisements

Another thing to consider is that W-S is much more condensed than the Concord/Charlotte area. You can get to things a lot faster than in the Charlotte area. If you don't mind commuting to things (I certainly don't) you may not mind living in Concord.

However you shouldn't expect to always have a short drive. For example in ideal traffic it will take you 25-30+ minutes to get to uptown Charlotte and 40 - 60+ minutes to get to South Park Mall. It's worth noting that there are two mall in Concord as well as shopping centers with national chain stores and many chain restaurants. In that respect it isn't much different from W-S. I will say that Hanes Mall in Winston is fantastic!

It all comes down to what you prefer. I don't mind the traffic and commute times in Charlotte. However I have relatives in the Triad that would hate to deal with it on a daily basis.

Last edited by NCgirl; 03-19-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,668,136 times
Cohaagen made a good point (actually, several good points) - far more people commute from Lexington to W-S than the other way around, so you'd be going against the flow, which is a good thing.

We used to live near Old Salem and my husband worked in Welcome. A 12 mile drive in 12-15 minutes.... 15-20 minutes when Hege was still sheriff, and 12-15 min after he was booted out of office. I was no fan of Sheriff Hege, but the Davidson County Sheriff's Dept doesn't patrol US 52 like it used to.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,093,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
How OLD are you??? That's such an out-dated way of thinking.

Um, you did see the smiley face in my post, right? That means I was joking. See, I really don't think that way at all, and I don't think I'm that old.

On the other hand, the OP did ask about social life, right?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM

870 posts, read 1,969,494 times
I move to W-S at 22 after graduating. At this point I've been here a little over 4 years and I've been happy thing the progress the city has made towards appealing to the young professionals group.

I think day to day living is easy and I can pretty much get whatever I need. Far as a social life while I am sure Charlotte may have more going on but I personally think Winston has plenty to chose from. May take digging around if you are looking for some in particular because I do find some stuff isn't advertised as well but that's improving. check out doyoudash.org and smitty's notes for stuff going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point