U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 14,672 times

Advertisements

Last night I was on my way home from Clemmons to Greensboro, on I-40; I was trying to hurry to get home and knew that I was speeding just not the extent of how fast I was going. I've driven this stretch of road many many times, and there is NEVER anyone on it at the time that I'm coming home but this time of course there was a cop on the road and he pulled me.

Ended up getting a ticket for 96 in a 65.

He told me that I would have to appear in court, anywhere between the hours of 8 am to 1pm, in courtroom 1B in Winston.

The questions I have are ...

1. Is there a good chance that my license is going to be suspended?
2. I've heard from some people that I could get out of this with the help of a lawyer, anyone else been in a similar situation?
3. Is this considered a misdemeanor? If so what does that mean?

I've had small speeding tickets in the past that I've taken care of, have no points on my license or even that I've had these past instances on my record.

I'm just kindof freaking out because I really can't afford to have my license suspended ... and yeah I know if I hadn't been speeding in the first place this wouldn't be an issue, but empty road, late at night, I can't imagine that most people don't find themselves speeding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,671,762 times
I would definitely get legal representation for a charge of driving 31 mph over the limit.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...%20Revocations

Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
96? Are you kidding??? I'd say that's speeding no matter what time of day or night it is!

You need a lawyer, no doubt about it...that's some serious trouble. Normally any conviction for speeding in excess of 15 mph over the limit carries an automatic suspension. What's more, your insurance company won't be happy about this, and your rates will skyrocket. A lawyer can help you get off as lightly as possible, and possibly save you a few insurance points (which could save you big bucks.)

Good luck, and please SLOW DOWN!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 AM

273 posts, read 850,553 times
Yeah, definitely lawyer up. I might be mistaken, but I think I remember a law that was passed last year that doesn't allow you to reduce anything over 15mph. I could be wrong or just misread it, but I think that was the case. Anything over 75mph is consider reckless driving I believe. One thing you should discuss is a prayer for judgement, basically you plead guilty, but if you don't have another ticket in the next xx # of days/months, it's dismissed with no points to you (but you typically pay a nice fine). Good luck!

GS_20-141
(j1) A person who drives a vehicle on a highway at a speed that is either more than 15 miles per hour more than the speed limit established by law for the highway where the offense occurred or over 80 miles per hour is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 AM

273 posts, read 850,553 times
My bad...just read this:

(p) A driver charged with speeding in excess of 25 miles per hour over the posted speed limit shall be ineligible for a disposition of prayer for judgment continued.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
The good news is that the cop didn't pull your license on the spot & impound your car. The bad news is you need to talk to a lawyer and see if you can get this reduced. If you were behaved (not an ass to the cop) you might have to pay some money to the school system but the long term savings will be worth it.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,583 times
May your insurance rates double and your license be suspended. Next time, drive responsibly!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,452 times
LAWYER UP! As far as suspension goes, I believe its up to the judge. My ex got a ticket for 106 in a 55 and he got his license suspended for a year. He wound up with 7 points on his license and his insurance company dropped him. About 7 months into his sentence, he was able to plea to get "driving priviledges" which allowed him to drive only to within a certain distance from home and for certain hours of the day for the purposes of work. Remember this also, if you are making payments on your car and your license are suspended, you STILL have to carry full-coverage on your vehicle! This is not going to be a cheap problem to fix, so be ready!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:49 PM

16 posts, read 29,390 times
Default Speeding

You need to get an attorney, who can get you a deal.
It'll cost you some $$, but better to pay the lawyer
than the judge who can suspend your license with that
rate of speed.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 47,998 times
with a good lawyer and depending on how your driving record is in forsyth county you could get out with out any points on you DL but insurance maybe a different story , look at spending around $1,500 court / lawyer / fines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point