Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,919 times

Advertisements

I live with my mother until I can move out of state, but that is starting to look a little ways away. We have Time Warner Cable and the service lately has been very sucky. I won't go into specifics, but we're looking for new providers. We tried AT&T but the entire reason behind the switch was for me to get a cell phone, which I, dun dun dun, do not have now. That fell through, when we signed up for home phone, DirecTV and FastAccess DSL, and the cell phone. We get everything set up, so much so people would've been here tomorrow, Thursday, to install everything, but they would not give us a cell phone for credit reasons. Apparently signing up for everything else just isn't enough.

So, we cancelled that and are now looking for something else. So, just throw your providers out there, or any that you know of. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM

273 posts, read 950,090 times
I've had no problem with Time Warner, and that gives you the most flexibility to use the online resources for TV viewing because of their faster download speeds. But if you are having problems with them then that's an issue. An internet option that you could look at is Clearwire, I'm pretty sure they offer no contract services at decent rates but their download speeds are a little slower, max 1.5-2mbs. For cell phone service you could always go with cricket or boost, no monthly contract thus no credit check and they have pretty reasonable rates. If you do have a decent internet connection that is always on, I would suggest looking MagicJack for your home phone if you really need a home phone. It's cheap and I've not had any issues with it and it's only $20 a year.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
I get DSL via the phone company here in High Point. Since they in progress of updating the sytem currently the fastest speed available in my area is 3 mbps. I can say I rarely have an issue.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
You can get $10 DSL from AT&T with landline service combo.
FastAccess DSL Term Agreement Plans Available

Old 03-27-2009, 11:55 AM

138 posts, read 418,922 times
I use Northstate DSL in High Point, I have fiber in my neighbothood so I get about 10Mbits up & down. I rarely have had any problems other than the first year or so while construction was still going on on my street. Then it was bad because customer service didn't have a clue how to handle problems with fiber and the techs they sent out were usually equally clueless. Fortunately those problems appear to all be in the past.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 PM

26 posts, read 138,623 times
Time Warner is what I use for internet. I have the lowest tier cable, fastest roadrunner with Time Warner, and my bill is under $52. I do not have phone service with them because I live so close to a cell tower, and get an exceptional signal, so a land line seemed pointless. I took Time Warner up with there promo when they were running it, but downgraded before they jacked the price up, and went back to basic tier and internet.

Only thing I miss is the DVR and HD channels, but it was not worth paying roughly an additional $75 for those luxuries.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,285 times
I use Timewarner for cable and internet but Vonage for phone service. Vonage is awesome and includes free long distance to Europe and all around the U.S. They also dont nickel and dime you for everything. One price is one price. Vonage, however, uses your cable connection so you may have to choose Timewarner or another provider anyway. Timewarner I think generally is the most popular and reliable.

Lisa

Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 PM

525 posts, read 2,123,113 times
I have time warner but I also use vonage for phone service, same as Lrhughes. I have both lower and upper tier cable and full on Roadrunner but no digital service, and my bill is less than $100 per month. We use the 500 minute option from Vonage and it's like $17 a month. dirt cheap. Let me know if you are interested in Vonage and I can hook you up.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
Default Time Warner will track, charge by Internet usage

I'm sure this thread will get some more questions after this news today:

Time Warner will track, charge by Internet usage : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

Time Warner Cable Expands Internet Usage Pricing - BusinessWeek

Old 04-04-2009, 10:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just go with someone else for wireless and still go with AT&T for everything else, especially since you would still qualify for discounts for having multiple services with them. Either way you do it, if you don't want to pay that deposit for wireless, you're still going to have to deal with at least two companies for all your services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point