Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 41,152 times

Advertisements

Just seeking opinions on which would be better for a married mid thirtie
s couple with two children, 3&6. We have been planning on Greensboro but I'm seeing alot of good things on WS as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:40 AM

72 posts, read 313,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait2go View Post
s couple with two children, 3&6. We have been planning on Greensboro but I'm seeing alot of good things on WS as well. Thanks.
Winston-Salem is in the top 10 for America's most livable city, Greensboro is not.

Also with young children Winston-Salem schools are ranked 20% above the North Carolina average. Very good school systems here, I have young children as well so this is something I know for fact and checked on when I relocated.

We are a married couple with 2 young children in our early to mid 30's and we choose Winston-Salem by far. My brother who moved down here is 28 and single, he choose Greensboro.

Education and Health care are just about the best in the state here in the Winston-Salem area.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:45 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,286 times
I know you are comparing Winston Salem to Greensboro but thought you might want to check out this link. Asheville is #1 place to live and Cary is #4.

Asheville, N.C., tops America's 10 best places to live: survey - MarketWatch

Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Default Which place is the best?

I can never understand those surveys and how different cities are chosen.
Whether one lives in Greensboro or Winston Salem I can't see that it really matters. Both cities are only 30 minutes apart! I think Greensboro seems to be cleaner than Winston Salem, although the Hanes Mall area has better shopping. I think in 20 years it really won't matter since the Triad area will have grown into one big city like Charlotte.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:24 PM

28 posts, read 125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait2go View Post

I live in High Point which is between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. I can tell you from a real estate stand point that Greensboro taxes and homes are more expensive than W-S. I work in W-S and housing and taxes are more affordable. You will find things you like about each city, the Winston-Salem area has a lot of historical landmarks. In Winston you are not far from the mountains maybe 20 minutes to Pilot Mountain. Beautiful scenery there, you should check it out. Also, the area is growing but still has a lot of rural areas too for quiet living. Let me know if you have any questions, I can try to help.

Take care & Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
6 one, half a dozen the other, Really. Winston is probably a little less expensive but you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 PM

29 posts, read 149,963 times
My husband and I are in our 20's and preferred the Northwest side of Greensboro to Winston Salem by far. However, when we are ready to start a family we plan to buy a home in Kernersville. It's convenient to all of the triad, has affordable housing, good schools, and a smaller town feeling. ust another area to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point