Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 68,105 times

Advertisements

I am house hunting and am interested in one house that has some huge trees in the backyard. I would say they are about 100-120 feet tall with 3 foot diameters. There is no sun and one of my big things I am looking forward to is planting a veggie garden. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea as to how much his might cost to just cut down and cut up the 3 trees this size. ( I could haul off) I have read on other forums it is worth more money to make sure they have the correct equipment, trained/safe employees, and worker's insurance and be bonded. I am just trying to decide how much of a headache it might be.

Another question I have is concerning another cute little house. It has electric baseboard heating but central air. How is resale for houses with electric baseboard heating? Can I eventually upgrade to a heat pump with no issues (I read that it depends on the size of the ducts). Since it already has central air I was wondering if this was a positive since the ductwork is already there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 61,470 times
if you dont like the trees, find somewhere else to live please. dont cut them down

Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhf1 View Post
I am house hunting and am interested in one house that has some huge trees in the backyard. I would say they are about 100-120 feet tall with 3 foot diameters. There is no sun and one of my big things I am looking forward to is planting a veggie garden. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea as to how much his might cost to just cut down and cut up the 3 trees this size. ( I could haul off) I have read on other forums it is worth more money to make sure they have the correct equipment, trained/safe employees, and worker's insurance and be bonded. I am just trying to decide how much of a headache it might be.
I can't comment on the pricing there as I live "here" but the advice to find the right people is very accurate. I had three large trees removed surrounding my home that I was not interested in tackling myself. I hired an operation with a "boom truck" with a bucket and crew. Yes they cost more, but the job was done in 1.5 days, they brougth a big truck with a chipper and took the scrap with them and cleaned up behind themselves.

I run a small service business myself and can tell you to ask for a certificate of insurance. It's common for any commercial account I get to ask for it. Their agency can fax it over to you without any drama. All it says is they are covered for XYZ for ABC amounts and the insurance is active and up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcurrin View Post
if you dont like the trees, find somewhere else to live please. dont cut them down

You ever been to the East Coast? We have in overgrowth condition with heavy forest everywhere. Here in New England less than 100 years ago, our land was bare farm land and now we have nothing but thick forest and undergrowth that is causing major problems for many including large tick populations and large increases in lyme disease.

Sometimes trees need to be cut and used just like corn. They grow back, I promise.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 AM

6 posts, read 68,105 times
Thanks JViello for all the info! Very helpful! Thanks for describing exactly what to ask for concerning the insurance. I often wondered if there is drama involved or they would get miffed, but I guess that might be a sign not to use them.

That is very interesting info concerning New England and the trees. To cdcurrin, I do feel bad for cutting down trees, but as JViello has pointed out it is part of the cycle. I would definitely replant with new ones. I hope to plant most of the yard with plants and use my grass whip (I use it to cut the back yard I currently rent and so much fun) to cut the small amount of grass left.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhf1 View Post
Thanks JViello for all the info! Very helpful! Thanks for describing exactly what to ask for concerning the insurance. I often wondered if there is drama involved or they would get miffed, but I guess that might be a sign not to use them.

That is very interesting info concerning New England and the trees. To cdcurrin, I do feel bad for cutting down trees, but as JViello has pointed out it is part of the cycle. I would definitely replant with new ones. I hope to plant most of the yard with plants and use my grass whip (I use it to cut the back yard I currently rent and so much fun) to cut the small amount of grass left.
NP, and you are exactly right if they get upset. To keep it strictly business just ask them something like this: "Before I hire you, I would just need your insurance company to fax over a certificate of insurance so I have it on record." That's it.

For me, it's really easy. I just select my agents number, make a call and ask for a COI to be faxed to XYZ. Done.

If someone gets miffed over that, IMO they are hiding something and/or are not people you wish to do business with.

Regarding the trees, I agree. I'll save them when I can and am a responsible person, but in the end for me humans come first and not the other way around.

And besides, I heated my home all winter with the wood and hardly used any oil. It's a renewable resource.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM

147 posts, read 545,904 times
Default Tree Service

I highly recommend Chris Loye - best I ever used. 336-215-7572, 342-6001

Lou

Old 05-31-2009, 01:24 AM

54 posts, read 237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I can't comment on the pricing there as I live "here" but the advice to find the right people is very accurate. I had three large trees removed surrounding my home that I was not interested in tackling myself. I hired an operation with a "boom truck" with a bucket and crew. Yes they cost more, but the job was done in 1.5 days, they brougth a big truck with a chipper and took the scrap with them and cleaned up behind themselves.

I run a small service business myself and can tell you to ask for a certificate of insurance. It's common for any commercial account I get to ask for it. Their agency can fax it over to you without any drama. All it says is they are covered for XYZ for ABC amounts and the insurance is active and up to date.

You ever been to the East Coast? We have in overgrowth condition with heavy forest everywhere. Here in New England less than 100 years ago, our land was bare farm land and now we have nothing but thick forest and undergrowth that is causing major problems for many including large tick populations and large increases in lyme disease.

Sometimes trees need to be cut and used just like corn. They grow back, I promise.

That is both the truest and funniest thing I've heard in a while. Don't tell someone to live somewhere else. Guess what, that house would be made of wood just like yours.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Depending on the trees it can range from a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars per tree. I second the recommendation of proper equipment & insurance. In NC someone doing work on your property gets injured you can be held liable (at least that's the way I have always understood it).
Same with the HVAC. Assuming the air exchanger cannot accomodate the auxillary heat strips you will at least have to have a new exchanger & compressor unit. If the baseboard units are working correctly it may be worth leaving them alone for now.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 AM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Are you serious? That's no arguement, because HEY what was there before the pillagers (oh I mean Pilgrams) came and raped the forest of it's greatest resources? Why did places like Missouri have 20 feet of loam and now only 5? They tore down trees.

Other than that, it's really a judgement call and there are some restrictions in place for larger trees, so you need to contact the right authorities for things like that. While you don't want to take down a mature tree, you also don't want that tree ruining a piece of architectural history. If the veggie garden is the only reason, I say, yeah...move on and keep looking. There are TONS of great homes out there right now with wide space. Try Kernersville!!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
The subdivision I grew up in was perfect for gardens; no trees whatsoever. The developer clear cut the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point