U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 PM

956 posts, read 4,073,509 times

Advertisements

I always thought the bitterness was Starbucks main selling point. Anyway, If you mind you own business and don't try and suggest that they need to do things different, or better etc., then you will probably be OK. If you move to a younger more progressive area, the acceptance level will be easier. However, you kind of have to accept that on some level you will always be a Yankee. I was down South 17 years and never lost that moniker. I had a tendency to not chime in when the Yankee bashing started. Can't tell you how often people would aske where I was originally from. When I told them Michigan, the universal reply was, "that is a good place to be from." Guess I just had a happy life in MI, and kind of resented that coming from folks who had never been there.
They outsiders that I knew, who seemed to make the best transition to NC, was folks who would kind of agree that NC was a much better place to live than where they came from. Just my experience.
That said, I have many good friends in NC who didn't make my Yankees an issue. The liked me for who I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 02:48 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,186,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
I remember when this BEAUTIFUL Krispy Kreme open a few years ago in Malden, MA (or near Malden). When the opened on a Sat. they needed SEVERAL detail police officers to control traffic!! It was backed up in and around the store. The store was nice, and you could see the donuts being made- it was quite nice. You'd see people buying not 1 dozen, not 2 dozen, 3 dozen or more at a time!
To me, KKs are like Peeps: for some inexplicable reason, they have a devoted following. I'm a rabid sweet toother, and I don't like KKs. They're OK as long as they are fresh and hot (if I'm with someone who wants to stop at a KK shop, I refuse to buy any unless the HOT sign is lit), but once they get cold they turn into disgusting objects, something like sugar rocks. And they don't microwave well, either. Sometimes day shifters at work will bring in a box and leave the leftovers for us vampire-hour workers. I'll pick up the box, listen to the THUNK-THUNK-THUNK as I shake it, then toss the nasty things. *yech*

Old 07-01-2006, 08:57 AM

693 posts, read 2,549,645 times
I'm actually not a big fan of Krispy either. Too sugary. As far as coffee, any recommendations on a local coffee shop with good coffee, lattes, etc?

Kereczr sorry for my inability to stick with the thread subject. I hope you like coffee

Last edited by Grass Is Greener; 07-01-2006 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-22-2006, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
Default Moving to Winston-Salem

Having lived in North Carolina for ten years, we wish to return there for our retirement years. We have been gone ten years, but we think Winston-Salem is the area we are looking for. I'm interested in how the cost of living, utilities, etc. compare to Fort Myers, FL, where we live now.

FM Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point