U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:46 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,012,282 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would post this since I see so many threads posting their reasons, or threads asking why people are moving..here are my reasons.

Last summer vacation I decided to be a little adventurous and pick a state I had never been and visit. I chose North Carolina and I am very glad that I did. I come from a very unfriendly town in Ohio with a rather unfriendly version of the far right. Going to North Carolina I decided to take with me a friend and we decided on Clemmons, NC as our destination. Once there, we stayed at a great little place called The Village Inn, we set out exploring for our entire two week stay. Throughout the course of my stay I was met by very friendly people and polite Christians, something I have never really seen before from southern Ohio. On the second day of my stay a group of kids dressed in chains, torn clothing and knee high boots stopped me on the way to my room. Apparently they were Christian punk rockers who liked how I dressed and decided to invite me to their church. They didn’t care that I was gay, not that I professed to be gay I just had a “friend” with me, or looked differently. Their whole church, including their parents and grandparents, were all very welcoming. Keep in mind I am a very liberal, very gay, and very different in terms of my fashion and that didn’t matter at all to any of these people. Nor did it matter to anyone else my entire two week stay. Left and right I met people, at malls, restaurants, etc. Often they were the ones who approached me, totally unprovoked by any hint of interest from myself. Even on the roads driving to and from the many malls that surrounded that area I couldn’t avoid meeting friendly people. Somehow, on the road, I managed to meet a car full of girls who directed us to follow them and we ended up going to the movies together. Not only were the people polite and welcoming, despite any differences in our world views, the area itself was beautiful. I was used to beauty being next to Shawnee Forest in Ohio, but that is at the cost of a very economically depressed area. Around Clemmons and Winston-Salem you got the beauty of the forest and the entertainment of a small city. For these reasons and so many more I fell in love with North Carolina and I can’t wait to move there. ^_^

Last edited by Kereczr; 06-29-2006 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 01:31 PM

73 posts, read 292,591 times
Great story. What city are you from in Ohio? I am from Newark. Being that youre near Shawnee State Forest in an economically depressed area, I would guess Perry or Morgan counties?

Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM

956 posts, read 4,072,177 times
Just know that to visit a place is not to live there. Southern Culture demands that they be friendly. Don't confuse surface friendliness with acceptance.
I was pastor in the state for 12 years. Believe me, I know North Carloina churches.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
<snip response to troll>
Hopefully that post will get *poofed*. As it is, I found the IGNORE option under user controls to be a wunnerful thing We're still subjected to <troll name> but there's nothing but an empty, yawning space where its post is

Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 PM

49 posts, read 155,933 times
Before this turns into a political flame fest, which the moderators will lock down.

This is all about change, change in life, change in society. Try to live a full, long life; without it and "coming out of the closet" will have a whole new meaning in society today. People deal with change in different ways, ways that are meaningful and acceptable to them. People are different but, live the same and die the same, so please don't be so judgemental. This country we live in is, so diverse as well as vast, has diversity that will boggle the mind.

The biggest problem with the world today(although it's slightly better than the past) is miscommunication, misinterpretation, and ignorance. Keep an open mind........... what someone says that you know personally, said from someone else may be taken totally out of context.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 28,316,074 times
Well, this is simply my opinion but I do think that life is what YOU make of it. I walk around happy 99% of the time and find that those I come in contact with are generally happy. Those of you that have a bad attitude, in general, can't blame everyone else for your bad day. Stop and wonder...if I have problems with everyone I am in contact with during the day...is it them or is it me??? I think you know who you are. Or maybe you don't and thats the problem?

Old 06-30-2006, 06:51 AM

693 posts, read 2,548,750 times
I'm with VickiR on this one. I come from one of areas in the country with the most unfriendly and rude people. I hope this attitude doesn't get transplanted to NC along with the people moving in. Believe me no matter how beautiful & affordable your property is, it's not a great place to live when you have to deal with angry grumpy people who you run into the grocery store, the bank, traffic, at work and everywhere else. I don't think Kereczr is looking for "acceptance". He's just looking for a community where people don't care about his sexual orientation and are more interested in his other truly more important values and beliefs. Off my soapbox and right to go getting some coffee. BTW I think Raleigh could really have more Dunkin Donuts and/or Starbucks!

Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,123,450 times
I'm steering the topic back to NC with all the previous comments intact. Both Kerczer, and my husband and I are seeking trade-offs with, hopefully, the pros outweighing the cons this move.

Grassisgreener is onto our current life story. We currently live in a very nasty environment, with so many unwarrantedly mean-spirited foreign nationals who don't speak English and are loathe to even try to obey the laws of their new location that we can't even be friendly to anyone and have them understand us. Our longtime locale now resembles a third world slum. Therefore the onus of changing our lives for the better rests on our changing the location.

Mhogan does bring up a valid point. I'm aware that my parents' generation in the South (born before 1950 just to generalize) tends towards politeness, whether the normal, genuinely refreshing type, or through gritted teeth occasionally. (parents on both sides hail from Tennessee, as far back as it gets.)

I have kept hoping that our appreciation for the good things the South and its inhabitants offer will offset some obvious differences i.e. we are not churchgoers. MHogan and others, will our future neighbors see us as decent if quirky people who don't want to change anyone else and enjoy many of the things you all take pride in, or forever shut us out as heathen weirdos?

Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
BTW I think Raleigh could really have more Dunkin Donuts and/or Starbucks!
Not to change the subject...but this is North Carolina...skip the Dunkin and hit Krispy Kreme. Better learn our local ways now. lol

And you don't need Starbucks when you got Third Place, Global Village, Helios, Cafe Carolina, Cafe Cyclo, Cupa Joe, Encounters, Tony's, Port City, and well, so on.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:32 AM

693 posts, read 2,548,750 times
LOL not attached to any specific franchise, just that I know I like their coffee. It's terrible to try a different coffee and find out that's bad. The bitter taste lingers forever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point