U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 AM

109 posts, read 351,483 times

Advertisements

I would hardly call Lewisville or Clemmons cities. Maybe small villiages in the boring suburbs. I think most young folk are sick of this kind of living and are looking for a new experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 44,072 times
Talking Winston Salem

Winston Salem is a beautiful city. It has a big city charm and is a convenient spot to live. One, its only two hours to just about anywhere in NC, the Blue Ridge, Charlotte, Raliegh, and several places in Virginia. The Atlantic is a wee six hours away, or the same as Phoenix to San Diego. Also, if you are considering moving to Winston Salem, I would suggest a subarb. Winston Salem is becoming overcrowded. Kernersville is one of the best subarbs, and it is a small town that can get you to Winston Salem or Greensboro. It is along I-40 and is known as the Heart of the Triad.

Winston Salem is home to Wake forest University, and the site of one of the first towns in the southern colonies. Old Salem is a great place to shop and eat, and just walk around. It is a beautiful place with historic building dated to the 1700s. Please take this all into consideration. Thank you.

Last edited by Daniel414; 04-21-2009 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Needed to add something

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM

2,649 posts, read 6,088,893 times
^ "The Atlantic is a wee six hours away"

Not to be picky, but the Atlantic is only about 3 1/2 hours away.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 PM

16 posts, read 44,072 times
yes, but when you schedule everything, stops, gas, eating, traffic, detours, you add up to around six hours, along with staying at the beach for a hour or so. sorry, it was not worded right.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 AM

^ Okay, I'm completely confused by this post. A 3 1/2 hour trip is exactly that, including a bathroom stop along the way. There are no detours, and no need to stop and eat (but if you do, then obviously that would add to the time). And I have no idea what you mean by "...along with staying at the beach for an hour or so." When most people go to the beach, it's usually for a few days.

?????

Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 AM

164 posts, read 313,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel414 View Post
yes, but when you schedule everything, stops, gas, eating, traffic, detours, you add up to around six hours, along with staying at the beach for a hour or so. sorry, it was not worded right.
Do people really stop to eat on a three hour drive

So, for us out-of-towners...what is the real driving time to the Atlantic?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM

^ After pondering this a bit, I wonder if Daniel is talking about the Outer Banks? It is a 5 hour drive from Winston-Salem to Nags Head (even with bathroom stops), so maybe that's what he's thinking about.

Of course, the Wilmington and South Brunswick beaches are much closer, which is what I'm talking about with the 3 1/2 hour trip.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ After pondering this a bit, I wonder if Daniel is talking about the Outer Banks? It is a 5 hour drive from Winston-Salem to Nags Head (even with bathroom stops), so maybe that's what he's thinking about.

Of course, the Wilmington and South Brunswick beaches are much closer, which is what I'm talking about with the 3 1/2 hour trip.
Yeah I visit Wilmington often and it's never taken me 5 hours. Occasionally I might make a short stop in Raleigh (less than 5 minutes). Might be different if you have young kids and need an extra bathroom break.

I say fill up the car and eat before you leave

Old 04-25-2009, 07:01 PM

13 posts, read 77,385 times
You can actually get to several of the NC beaches in less than 6 hours. I just moved from the crystal coast to WS in December. You can get to Wilmington and Brunswick beaches in about 3.5-4 hours; the crystal coast (Morehead City, Emerald Isle, Atlantic beach) in about 4 hours; and the outbanks in about 5 hours (depending on if you take the ferry or not).

I miss the beach but love WS.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 PM

14 posts, read 39,389 times
So where are the best dining spots since were talking about WS? I'm also a potential mover...also considering Greensboro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point