Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm a 55yo single female planning to retire in 7 years. I currently live in eastern Iowa, and see that the COL is similar to WS. I've posted similar threads in Greenville, SC and Tri Cities/Knoxville TN. Never visited WS or Greenville, but several times to NE TN. I've really enjoyed visiting the Appalachian Mountains, Boone and Asheville, but would prefer to live in a lower COL, and closer to good medical care with a larger population. Also may want to continue working in the medical field part time. I know WS is larger than the other communities I've mentioned but I like the availability of excellent healthcare and proximity to a major airport, ie Charlotte. It would be nice to still have the 4 seasons, which I assume Greenville does not have, and the lower humidity in WS. Is it possible to find single-level condos/or smaller homes with very small yards in or around WS area? In good condition? In the low-$100,000's in a safe area? I enjoy hiking, being out in nature, while still near decent shopping and restaurants. Nothing too fancy, but would be nice to have those amenities, as well as educational opportunities. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Also any personal comparisons between the other areas I've mentioned is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Is it possible to find single-level condos/or smaller homes with very small yards in or around WS area? In good condition? In the low-$100,000's in a safe area?
I believe it is completely possible to find what you want, based on a quick check of realtor.com. I have found W-S very pleasant and could be a good area for retirement. Many small houses in that price range are one level. There is also a downtown high-rise condo at $122,500 that could be an interesting alternative.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Is it possible to find single-level condos/or smaller homes with very small yards in or around WS area?
In good condition? In the low-$100,000's in a safe area? ...still near decent shopping and restaurants.
Nothing too fancy, but would be nice to have those amenities, as well as educational opportunities.
In principle... sure.
The better values will be the larger homes on larger lots farther out than where it's convenient
to access all of those other things without having to drive to them because the nicer and safer
neighborhoods that you otherwise describe have a lot of demand on them.

As an example, if you look in town (look for "Ardmore" or "Miller Park" as examples) you'll have
to pay more to compete with the staff from the two hospitals in the neighborhood.

hth

Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 AM

Thanks for your quick replies

How is the real estate climate in the area as far as negotiating a lower price on homes? Do they currently sell at or near the going price ... or if one comes in with a cash deal could that make a difference there? I assume it's probably all subjective, depending on each individual situation.

The homes I've seen in Millers Park and Ardmore sure look nice. I could see how those might be snatched up quickly at or near the going price.

I'll have to check out the high-rise condo ... that could be an option I'd be interested in.

Thanks again.

Last edited by smpliving; 12-20-2012 at 04:32 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Good luck! Winston-Salem is one of the best places for retirement.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM

23 posts, read 44,371 times
Quote:
Is it possible to find single-level condos/or smaller homes with very small yards in or around WS area? In good condition? In the low-$100,000's in a safe area? I enjoy hiking, being out in nature, while still near decent shopping and restaurants. Nothing too fancy, but would be nice to have those amenities, as well as educational opportunities. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Also any personal comparisons between the other areas I've mentioned is appreciated. Thank you!
Google Bermuda Run and Kinderton. Both of those communities are in Davie County, just across the river from Forsyth County. Winston-Salem is about 20 minutes east, going by I-40; longer if you stay on 158.

I was surprised; doing a random look-up on real estate in those communities; that condos can be had for ~100k. Bermuda Run, in particular, since it is a gated community with standalone houses going for 500k and up.

That area is the site of Wake Forest's hospital expansion, at the intersection of I-40 and 801; Forsyth is building a competing facility about 5 miles down the road. You're right next door to Tanglewood which has great walking trails. No problem with shopping - you have three grocery stores within a few miles; Hanes Mall and Big Box shopping is close. Access to the mountains is easy; Boone is only ~80 miles away.

I noticed that home building and development has picked up in the last few months; (knock wood) we might be heading into a recovery but I'm not sure how that will affect real estate prices. A lot of home owners are still selling for below tax value (Davie County lodges a rate of .62/100 - a 100k dwelling is $620/year; Bermuda Run tacks an extra .15/100 + a gate fee).

IMO, the area has the best of qualifications in that it is relatively quiet, but also equipped with local and nearby amenities.

Last edited by SilverwingNC; 12-20-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
My wife is from Greensboro but we currently live in Greenville (SC) - yes, we do have 4 distinct seasons - Greenville averages nearly 5 inches of snow/year (which is nearly the same as Raleigh) - in fact, Greenville (SC) sits in the "Piedmont" area of our state which extends into the NC's Triad region.

Greenville (SC) is the largest metro area closest to Asheville/Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mts. I live just south of downtown Greenville and am 75 minutes to Asheville's downtown. Further, I'm 45 minutes to elevations > 3,000 feet.

Once you see Greenville's revitalized downtown and Falls Park, you might want to extend your search beyond the NC borders.

I'm very fond of Winston/Triad, but I would advise you to expand your search and evaluate Knoxville and Chattanooga as well. The cost of living in NC is higher than most (if not all) Southeastern states.

Last edited by drfranklin; 12-21-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Once you see Greenville's revitalized downtown and Falls Park, you might want to extend your search beyond the NC borders.

I'm very fond of Winston/Triad, but I would advise you to expand your search and evaluate Knoxville and Chattanooga as well. The cost of living in NC is higher than most (if not all) Southeastern states.
The thing about Tennessee that has me wondering is the high sales tax. I know they say it all evens out, but I won't have that high an income to make a difference with their no state income tax. I also wonder about their 6% tax on dividends ... if that is from stocks? I will have an IRA distribution. Guess, I need to research it more. I also have concerns about the health care in Knoxville and Chattanooga.

From pictures, Greenville does have a very nice downtown. I do wonder how the health care in Greenville compares to the Triad area. I don't have any major health concerns now, but will probably be at least somewhat of an issue as I age.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
The thing about Tennessee that has me wondering is the high sales tax.
Guess, I need to research it more.
Some objective data to help with that:
Taxes by State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point