U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 39,375 times

Advertisements

Is there a hipster crowd in Winston Salem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Like, cool Daddio. We're all groovy here.

Sock it to me, and here come da judge!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 AM

ok...maybe i phrased this wrong...Is this the worst place to live in the world? I love Raleigh...I hated Charlotte...Atlanta is great....where does the 25 to 35 crowd fit in inwinston salem? Im having nightmares of being surrounded by college kids and old people....with nowhere good to eat.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Hey Skip, thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize people under 35 knew the word "hip".

I have lived in all three places myself, and I agree...I didn't care much for Charlotte, and I really enjoyed living in Raleigh (although that was many years ago). I think Winston is much more like Raleigh, even better actually. For someone in your age group, it may not have quite as much action as some other places, but it isn't bad, and it is improving.

With two large hospitals and a med school, there are plenty of med students, residents, and younger nurses. Of course, they're all probably too busy to get out much, but they tend to party hard when they do get the chance. Actually over the past 10-15 years the city has taken a number of steps to try to attract and keep young professionals, but of course economic events have hindered that somewhat (e.g., Wachovia leaving town, RJ Reynolds contracting). Still, the downtown area is much better than it used to be...lots of new restaurants and bars.

And there are a lot of really good restaurants for a city this size, and I'm not talking about chains. So give us a chance; I think you'll find it's not bad at all.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM

254 posts, read 825,488 times
You apparently are using "hipster" in a way other than the typical current definition, Skip, because I can think of few places with a larger hipster concentration than ATL.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,744,459 times
curious. why did you not like Charlotte? I am from Charlotte and I have lived in raleigh and Atl. Raleigh to me is not even on the same level as Charlotte or Atl. What happened?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Ok...so hipster was a bad choice of words...but it was shorter than what I could of used. As far as your question....East Atlanta Area...Poncey Highland Area...thats what I like about Atlanta...If you like Atlanta for Buckhead, Midtown, or Downtown...your a douche bag...
Charlotte is like Buckhead...with none of the good food. And a complete lack of any nightlife outside of douchey college bars...and possibly the Buckhead Saloon...I mean seriously....Bar Charlotte???? Dixie Tavern???? The best bar in Charlotte is Flying Saucer...and its an F ing chain!!

My girlfriend is from Raleigh...and I love it...its similar to Athens Ga without the total overkill of idot Georgia Bulldog fans...and a viciously silly old hipster crowd. And the food has impoved by LEAPS AND BOUNDS! Trust me...if you havent been in a while...go check it out.

In short...im not comparing size as much as quality of food, good bars, and a thriving downtown. And I dont mean a polo shirted, sun dress covered downtown. I want REAL

Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,544,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenskip View Post
Ok...so hipster was a bad choice of words...but it was shorter than what I could of used. As far as your question....East Atlanta Area...Poncey Highland Area...thats what I like about Atlanta...If you like Atlanta for Buckhead, Midtown, or Downtown...your a douche bag...
Charlotte is like Buckhead...with none of the good food. And a complete lack of any nightlife outside of douchey college bars...and possibly the Buckhead Saloon...I mean seriously....Bar Charlotte???? Dixie Tavern???? The best bar in Charlotte is Flying Saucer...and its an F ing chain!!

My girlfriend is from Raleigh...and I love it...its similar to Athens Ga without the total overkill of idot Georgia Bulldog fans...and a viciously silly old hipster crowd. And the food has impoved by LEAPS AND BOUNDS! Trust me...if you havent been in a while...go check it out.

In short...im not comparing size as much as quality of food, good bars, and a thriving downtown. And I dont mean a polo shirted, sun dress covered downtown. I want REAL
LOL, harsh critique.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:09 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenskip View Post

Yeah, so not Winston-Salem. I think you will be bored and hating life. I am that older crowd with kids aka 34 year old stay at home mom and I think W-S has a dead downtown. There are a handful of decent places, but I often think how I would be so miserable if I was younger and single. I just don't get it. There are tons of colleges, yet doesn't feel like a college town at all to me. It feels like familyville. Thank God I fall into that boat and really can't afford to go out for drinks anymore.....I am turning my suburbia house into my bar and googling fancy martini recipes to make at home while I watch movies on Netflix. That is nightlife for me in W-S and the sad thing is I think it would be that way if I could afford the $10 martinis & babysitter because downtown is such a ghost town. On a positive note the potential is there, just not quite reached yet.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:57 AM

yep...that's what I thought...looks like the move is going to happen no matter what....****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point