U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,595 times

Advertisements

We live in an adorable little town in Northeastern Ohio, but we are exploring a job opp at UNCG. We are young and have young girls, one going into 2nd grade and one preschooler. We have always lived in tiny towns, so we are completely spoiled with low cost of living, quiant downtown neighborhoods, older homes and the ability to walk everywhere we go. Plus, we live a block from the college where my husband works. Where are the nice neighborhoods in Greensboro that are within about 20 minutes of UNCG that have good schools, safe for kids and sidewalks with homes in the $150s??

Also, what is the worst weather we can expect in the Winter? Ohio was rough this year. And is it mostly sunny in the winter/early spring?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:52 PM

273 posts, read 850,396 times
Having grown up in north/central Ohio, I know how ugly and grey it is in the winter. You'll definitely be pleased with winter here. We do occasionally get some snow, and it does drop below freezing, but the weather for the most part is very pleasant. You don't get the 5 months of ugly, if it's ugly for 3 days here, you'll notice it.

I can't really comment on too many neighborhoods in Greensboro, I live in Winston Salem. You might have a little trouble to find something really close to UNCG in that price range. Aside from the immediate college housing by UNCG, North/West of campus is a nice established neighborhood with large historical homes. I don't think you'll want to go near the south or east of campus.

Good luck on your possible move.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 PM

15 posts, read 53,416 times
Moved here from NE, and winters are undoubtedly milder. Not much snow, but will get some ice. Amusing from a midwesterner's standpoint to see a run on bread & milk at the grocery store if the forecast calls for snow. Summers are more humid, and spring has more pollen than you're likely used to. Fall & spring colors are stunning, and there's a good number of sunny days.

Homes are a little pricier than I was accustomed to, and sidewalks are in short supply. Established neighborhoods like you're probably in now (tree canopy, sidewalks, close proximity to downtown/campus, diverse 1920's & 30's architecture) start closer to $200K for a family sized home. Those would include Lindley Park, Sunset Hills, and Lake Daniel.
allentate.com is a realtor website which has a good search map to visualize where in town available properties are, as well as proximity to schools. I'd generally look west of Elm and north of Spring Garden/Market St. May want to consider around Guilford College, North Lawndale/Lake Brandt Rd area, or even Adams Farm. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 PM

25 posts, read 54,261 times
I am from Akron area in Ohio and moved here 2 years ago. You will not miss Ohio weather. Other then being a little to hot in the summer months, the weather is great. Not many sidewalks unless you live downtown but seem to be a lot of parks around which might be of help.

Cost of living seemed to be the same to me, though houses overall are newer here which makes them a little more expensive. For 150 you can probably get a 1500-1700 sq foot house in a good place around the college (15-20 minutes away).

The school systems here are not that good compared to Ohio. My wife was a sub at about every school in Guildford County Greensboro area and maybe one was up to par (don't remember which one). I would make sure the house you get is in a decent school system as there are some real crappy ones here.

Hope this helps and you will love it here. I really don't miss ohio at all other then the family.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM

109 posts, read 351,326 times
You are not going to get much for your money in the $150,000 price range. I would say $225,000 on the low end might be better for the areas you are wanting. I am not aware of any homes in the $150,000 price range. There might be some townhomes in that range.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,075 times
There are tons of homes in the $150,000 price range within 20 mins of UNCG. Tons. Heck 20 mins of the G would even cover a little of High Point. Adams Farm, Reedy Fork just to name two. Now, if you want to be within Walking Distance of UNCG, yer gonna pay if you want to be in the right school district.

My website will allow you to search all the homes in the area and don't forget to check the school report card site- NC School Report Cards

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyem View Post
We live in an adorable little town in Northeastern Ohio, but we are exploring a job opp at UNCG. We are young and have young girls, one going into 2nd grade and one preschooler. We have always lived in tiny towns, so we are completely spoiled with low cost of living, quiant downtown neighborhoods, older homes and the ability to walk everywhere we go. Plus, we live a block from the college where my husband works. Where are the nice neighborhoods in Greensboro that are within about 20 minutes of UNCG that have good schools, safe for kids and sidewalks with homes in the $150s??

Also, what is the worst weather we can expect in the Winter? Ohio was rough this year. And is it mostly sunny in the winter/early spring?

Thanks!
we just moved from Ohio to NC. The weather is much better and the people are nicer.
familyflynt

Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 17,160 times
I'll tell you this there's a few really nice areas of greensboro but you have GOT to be careful in certain areas of this place...we moved to northwind apartments and every couple nights there's gunfire and around a week or 2 ago i was out walking around my apartment complex at night talking on my cellphone (i don't get good reception inside) and RIGHT behind my apartment i heard about 3 shotgun blasts and saw a group of guys run out from behind the apartment and clear across the parking lot....a cop came a few minutes later and told me to get inside immediatley and that they were bringing a dog in. 3 nights ago a preachers house was shot up not even a half mile from here, and we heard the gunshots! It was in a very upscale neighborhood.

If you see an area here that looks questionable DO NOT move to it but other then that stay away from the eastside and keep your eyes open. If you need any info on the crime i can tell you just about anything.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,595 times
Thanks for you replies. Seems like I can get a lot more house in GSO than here in Ohio. After looking at Realtor.com I'm starting to hope he gets the job.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:03 PM

30 posts, read 69,884 times
I would strongly recommend Mebane as a great location convenient to Greensboro that fits what you said about a small but very cool and convenient town that is growing and has extremely affordable new homes and resales. You can get about 2,000 Square Feet for $150,000.00 in new construction in Mebane with a really nice historic downtown area and WONDERFUL schools. You have the option of Orange County or Alamance County School Systems and both are great. Easy shot up I-40/I-85 to Greensboro/UNCG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point