U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 66,963 times

Advertisements

How prevelant are tornadoes in the WS area anyway..........and I would think all homes would have basements for safety sake. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM

273 posts, read 850,480 times
I can't speak for the natives and the history, but in the 2 years I've been here, we've had maybe 2-3 tornadoes that really did some damage. There was a particular storm that blew through last year that did a bit of damage, mainly in south/eastern Forsyth, Northern Davidson, Western Guilford county and tore up the Farmers market. Basements around here aren't really for safety's sake (not like storm cellars of the midwest), more from a construction stand point on hilly terrain. I really think luck and someone looking out for you is biggest reason for avoiding/surviving a tornado.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Over a 45 year period, 11 tornadoes were recorded and confirmed by the National Climatic Data Center for Forsyth County. No fatalities.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,296,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc's View Post
How prevelant are tornadoes in the WS area anyway..........and I would think all homes would have basements for safety sake. No?
..not when a slab of concrete is easier to install..
not a chance.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc's View Post
Basements in this area are typically the walkout variety. You might find full basements in older homes, but cost factors make that an expensive option in new ones.

We had a particularly nasty blow just about this time last year. A tornado blasted through eastern Davie/western Forsyth, with some injuries and a lot of damage

http://www2.journalnow.com/static/multimedia/storm-photos0509/ (broken link)

Still, there are few areas in this country where tornadoes don't hit. As a native Midwesterner, living here for the last two decades, I don't make a fuzz about it I actually dread the ice storms that tend to occur about once each year around here. Talk about leaving a mess and disrupting services. Preparedness, IMO, tends to be more apt at dealing with high winds than ice

Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,040,740 times
While tornados can form in most types of environments, they do seem to prefer flat land. The area from Kansas to Austin Texas is one really big, flat, expanse of terra firma. This is where the majority of tornado come from, live out their tornadic lives and die. Yes, they do happen in N.C. but, tis not exactly a weekly, monthly or even annual event. Hurricanes are more noted as an oceanic event, but, Fran certainly did a number on Raleigh a few years ago, and rumor has it that Hugo visited Charlotte. So....the rule of thumb is.... Weather will do what it is gonna do, we know the basic tendencies, but... it does not always follow what we (as humans) think it should be doing. One possibility is that human knowledge may be a bit lacking in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point