U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 AM

75 posts, read 356,994 times

Advertisements

There seem to be a lot of plans in the works for downtown W-S including a ballpark, New Life Center (for the homeless) and Civic Plaza. Do you think these projects are going to be a success? How do you think they will change the view of downtown in the eyes of Winston-Salem residents not currently living or working downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 03:14 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,186,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCis4me View Post
There seem to be a lot of plans in the works for downtown W-S including a ballpark, New Life Center (for the homeless) and Civic Plaza. Do you think these projects are going to be a success? How do you think they will change the view of downtown in the eyes of Winston-Salem residents not currently living or working downtown?
It would be nice if some of the plans included building high rises along the lines of being affordable to people with less than 6-figure incomes We drove by one of the Wachovia data centers and noted the new dwellings going up. IIRC, units start at 600K. There have been some complaints that the city is not yet a walkable place as far as reaching amenities. Hopefully the recent news that an enterprising person is going to open a grocery downtown will bring more interest in that type of business.

We like W-S; I'd much rather stick around that city than Charlotte (*puke*); but it needs to work on making itself accessible and affordable.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 PM

26 posts, read 112,322 times
There are several 'new' condo's in W-S that are affordable. There is one on West End Blvd that runs about 100,000, on Chestnut St. you can get a condo for less than $130,000. There is a new bldg going up in the arts district that will have 32 condos with 3 retail spaces on the ground floor, those are running about 165,000. You can also get one at The Gallery for under 170,000 that has wonderful upgrades. I think WS is doing a great job revitilizing the city. Just look at what has been done on 4th Street alone in the past 4 years. The city is helping small business owners be able to afford to come into the city. I think they will follow through with their plans and WS will have a new face soon.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:20 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,186,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter View Post
Just look at what has been done on 4th Street alone in the past 4 years. The city is helping small business owners be able to afford to come into the city. I think they will follow through with their plans and WS will have a new face soon.
Yeah, Spouse works in that area; has for some 10 years. He said he sees fewer hookers and drug deals going on there, now. The high price condos I noted were in that area; I'm pretty sure it's on the parcel where the failed Krispy Kreme project was to be. I guess the developer is trying to make his investment back now that the KK idea plotzed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point