U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM

571 posts, read 925,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the Winston-Salem area and would love to try some good Mexican restaurants... any suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM

273 posts, read 851,232 times
For texmex, I think Cozumel's in Clemmons is one of the best I've found around. A little more authentic Mexican food, Las Estrella's on Silas Creek Pkwy by Compare Foods is really good too. We moved from Houston and it took a while

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,259,341 times
La Fiesta in Greensboro is my state-wide favorite so far.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,457 times
La Botana. I have tried too many to count and I personally think most places are not very good. Everyone always suggests Las Estrelles, but we have given it 3 chances and have never been too impressed. We stopped looking once we found La Botana.

LA Botana Mexican Restaurant, Winston-Salem, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM

571 posts, read 925,652 times
Default Thank you!

I appreciate the suggestions... now I just have to decide which to try first...

Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,898,625 times
I love Monterrey's on Battleground in Greensboro. (If you ever come this way.) I've been to many Mexican restaurants in Greensboro and the coast and Monterrey's is the best, to my taste buds.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,670,872 times
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but there are plenty enough good Mexican restaurants in W-S, that I've never felt the need to drive out of town to any others.... maybe for "fine dining" but not Mexican.

We moved out of state last year, but if it's still open, I highly recommend El Sombrero on University Parkway, between North Point and Shattalon Drive.

We used to live 2 blocks from the former South By Southwest (RIP) and I've read that a new Mexican restaurant is going (or has gone) into that building. Anyone tried it yet?

P.S. We never ate at Monterrey while living in W-S, but like the one near us in Greenville, SC. There are several all around our area.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,053,872 times
Well, since you asked, from Greensboro, get on 85N as if going to Durham, in Mebane, the hwy 119 exit, T/L go past the Sonic, and the Food Lion on the left, Just past Food Lion the road curves Rt. on the Rt in the center of the small strip mall, "La Cocina". My favorite is the Mexican Burrito, the menu says filled with either beef or chicken, but... tell them you want it filled with Carnitas. The house quesadillas are pretty good too, as is the chipotle shrimp. If you get there early enough in the evening, you are likely to be the only gringos in the restaurante. Muchos de los clientes aca son de la raza.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 AM

2,653 posts, read 6,095,327 times
My favorites are Cozumel, Pancho Villa's (on Stratford Rd., near Arigato), and La Botana. La Botana isn't much for atmosphere, but their food is arguably the best. Also, I really like the atmosphere of Mi Pueblo on Stratford, and the food is good enough.

The new restaurant planned for the old South by Southwest location is called Senor Bravo. It was scheduled to open last fall, but it was delayed. Latest announcement I saw said they'd open May 1, but I don't believe it's open yet. Hopefully soon...

Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM

525 posts, read 1,925,695 times
San Luis in Greensboro is so far the most authentic mexican food I have encountered in the area. I took a friend of mine from Texas there and he concurs. That is if you want real mexican food, not tex mex or a watered down version. The best way to tell is to see if there are any spanish speakers eating there- if not, then don't eat there!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point