U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 PM

50 posts, read 122,068 times

Advertisements

Thinking of heading over toward the greater Greensboro area tomorrow from east TN. Where can one find some good Carolina BBQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,254,536 times
Follow the "NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail":

The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM

54 posts, read 223,343 times
If you are in this part of the country, everywhere you turn, there's a BBQ restaurant. My favorite is The Barbeque Center on Main St in Lexington, NC

Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,663,842 times
The "original" Lexington Barbecue on Business 85 in Lexington.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,089,977 times
A quick history lesson: There are two dominant types of barbecue in NC, referred to simply as "eastern" and "western" styles. Eastern NC is where barbecue was invented centuries ago, and it's made using the whole hog cooked very slowly over wood coals, and basted with a simple sauce of vinegar and peppers. The meat is chopped finely and served usually with hushpuppies, yams or french fries, and slaw.

At the time when the white man was expanding westward, a barbecue chef fell off his horse around Lexington and bumped his head. He awoke with the dumb idea that a little tomato should be added to the sauce, and that only the shoulder of the hog should be used, so he went about pursuing his twisted vision. The local people, who were mostly German immigrants who had eaten nothing but sauerkraut for decades, fell for it, not knowing any better.

So unfortunately, today your options for real barbecue in the western part of NC are extremely limited. I can only recommend Prissy Polly's in Kernersville (just off I-40 on Hwy 66)...they are the only place within 50 miles or so that serves real barbecue. They also offer western style for those people with untrained palates.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 AM

176 posts, read 579,837 times

Last edited by Lionsdale; 06-06-2009 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: wrong site link

Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 AM

50 posts, read 122,068 times
All inputs are greatly appreciated. Now I just have to decide which one to choose!

Thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,823,111 times
repped. I laughed out loud on the inside. OP, if for wahtever reason you pass through Raleigh you might want to try The Pit. The pit master there was featured on the food network on throwdown with bobby flay. Ed Mitchell, is originally from Wilson, which is the eastern carolina BBQ capitol.

The Pit | PITstory (http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/pitstory.php - broken link)

BBQ RIbs : Throwdown with Bobby Flay : Food Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
A quick history lesson: There are two dominant types of barbecue in NC, referred to simply as "eastern" and "western" styles. Eastern NC is where barbecue was invented centuries ago, and it's made using the whole hog cooked very slowly over wood coals, and basted with a simple sauce of vinegar and peppers. The meat is chopped finely and served usually with hushpuppies, yams or french fries, and slaw.

At the time when the white man was expanding westward, a barbecue chef fell off his horse around Lexington and bumped his head. He awoke with the dumb idea that a little tomato should be added to the sauce, and that only the shoulder of the hog should be used, so he went about pursuing his twisted vision. The local people, who were mostly German immigrants who had eaten nothing but sauerkraut for decades, fell for it, not knowing any better.

So unfortunately, today your options for real barbecue in the western part of NC are extremely limited. I can only recommend Prissy Polly's in Kernersville (just off I-40 on Hwy 66)...they are the only place within 50 miles or so that serves real barbecue. They also offer western style for those people with untrained palates.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:24 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
A quick history lesson: There are two dominant types of barbecue in NC, referred to simply as "eastern" and "western" styles.
Most entertaining. As someone who grew up on the border of eastern NC (Raleigh) and lived almost all of her adult life in Piedmont or western NC, I'm not quite such a purist. I like both styles.

However, my hubby, from Hickory, and I have something of a mixed marriage. He has to have cole slaw ("white" slaw) with his barbecue, and I prefer barbecue slaw ("red" slaw).

Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,298,255 times
I would have to say,hands down,Speedy's in Lexington.Just Speedy's,NOT Speedy Lor's.
Clark's in Kernersville is decent,as well as Little Richard's on Gumtree Rd, going twds Midway,but neither are as good as Speedy's,IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point