U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 AM

72 posts, read 117,869 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I am really getting excited about coming up and looking around again. I know last time we went through Mocksville we kind of just went in circles. Need to find Advance and make our way to Davidson county and Clemmons this time. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 AM

184 posts, read 144,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theanah View Post
I

What are your complaints if you have any?
Too religious. I'm pagan, but do I feel like I can tell people. Uh, no. Sure it's got that small hometown feel where everyone knows everyone else, but that's also the problem. Also there is NOTHING to do here.
Yes, there is definitely a down side to the stereotypical "small town" life that writers are so enamored with. (Stephen King captured it perfectly in his book 'Salem's Lot.) I grew up in Davie. In the community my family is from, people seem to think something is 'wrong' with you if you don't attend Church.
I have property and family there, and I absolutely love the land and the history (sadly, I was an adult before I learned about the rich local history, since it was not taught at DHS), but many of the people who have been there for generations are judgemental, snobby, conformist to the nth degree. If you're not totally mainstream, you might not find a lot of people to socialize with. But fortunately Davie is not too far away from G-boro on one side, Charlotte on the other (sort of). Winston has the great Heavy Rebel Weekender festival each July.
I would never, ever retain an attorney from Mocksville. Go with Winston or even Salisbury. I've also had consistently bad experiences with local Realtors over the past decade. I also had someone try to block access to my land, evidently in the hopes that I would sell for pennies.
That being said, the land is very, very lovely. The weather is my idea of perfect. I love the winter cold, but not tooooo cold. It's only an hour and half away from the mountains. The history is fascinating. There is a local history room at the County Library on N. Main Street and staff are very nice. (There is even some local supernatural lore if you're so inclined.)
I'll probably retire there.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 AM

2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
Yes, there is definitely a down side to the stereotypical "small town" life that writers are so enamored with. (Stephen King captured it perfectly in his book 'Salem's Lot.)
*heh* Mocksville would make a good transference to Jerusalem's Lot. I'm trying to think of what structure would be fitting as the Marsten House; you find a lot of spooky old abodes if you go poking around the back roads of the county as I loved to do. There was one old plantation; weathered and drooping; out on Farmington Rd. I rode by one day on my motorcycle, gawked, and turned around for a closer look. The effect was somewhat dampened by the fact that a single wide stood alongside, but I noticed a solitary old man standing in the weedy yard, staring back at me. After a moment of mutual eye contact, he slowly lifted the gun that had been at his side. My thought: "time to go!"

Quote:
I absolutely love the land and the history (sadly, I was an adult before I learned about the rich local history, since it was not taught at DHS)
Really? No Cooleemee Plantation; no Hinton Rowan Helper; no Thomas Ferebee; no DANIEL BOONE?

I was surprised, at the initial drive around we made while looking at property in the county, at the number of historical markers dotting the area. Frankly, I had never heard about the specific area where Boone lived, just that it was "in North Carolina". When I learned that our new home played a major role in his family's life, I was somewhat scandalized at the inattention from people in this county. "Daniel Boone! ... why that's a .... I mean ... he's a BIG DEAL in American history!" I stuttered. Being originally from the Midwest, I had visited his last home near St. Charles, Mo several times (actually his son's house. Daniel died there). People make a fuss about him there. He's a somebody, even though his mark was actually to be decrepit, regretful and die, there. Yet, in this area he had a family, hunted, was chased around by Indians and hid in a cave on the Yadkin ... and everyone says "meh."

I always thought the Chamber of Commerce was lacking in coming up with ways to draw tourist dollars here. Other counties bring in scads of people celebrating the apple harvest or boll weevil festival. Mt. Airy makes big bucks off a fictional character; the real person who was the inspiration neither lives there nor visits often. That Daniel Boone has only recently, and somewhat tepidly, been marked is just bad PR. He is a truly colorful and historical entity whose connection (his and the family) should be noted.

Quote:
But many of the people who have been there for generations are judgemental, snobby, conformist to the nth degree. If you're not totally mainstream, you might not find a lot of people to socialize with.
Uhhh .. yeah Spouse goes to a local barber, I patronize a beauty shop attended by a many-generations native. Hit one of those kinds of businesses on a busy day and you'll hear a lot of interesting things. Still, the people are friendly in an off-hand, interested in you because you aren't a local and therefore are a strange person-kind of way. And we prefer to patronize those kinds of businesses because we are genuinely interested in the natives of the area; we want to get to know our neighbors. We aren't the kind of newcomers who wanted to ghetto ourselves in one of the Transplantville subdivisions. In patronizing businesses like that, we came to a better understanding of how some of the critical issues have been viewed by the natives. The new high school - Davie is a growing county, the old high school no longer fits the needs of a larger population, ergo just build a new HS. I didn't understand all the squabbling behind the issue; the reason why the initiatives to raise funds had been shot down. Not until I sat in the beauty shop one day during a lull and heard a lot of the women talking about their fears for what it would mean to their children - none of whom lived on the eastern side of the county.

Quote:
...the land is very, very lovely. The weather is my idea of perfect.
It is that. I don't think people realize the kind of elevations we have here. Drive down Potts Road (branches off 801 in Advance just as you get around that scary curve) during a time of the year when the leaves are down and the sky is clear. You are able to see Pilot Mountain. I noticed this past fall that clearing has been done to expand the Yadkin River Trail, accessed by driving under the 601 bridge at the Davie/Rowan county line. Shortly after, the river flooded and may have damaged the trail; I plan to get down there and check before it gets hot and buggy. The subdivisions built around the county ... well, they're like a spot of mud on white clothing - noticeable, but they don't ruin the outfit. You can easily drive away from the populated zones and get into some back areas where the land is pretty. It's not unspoiled - there are many marks of the poverty that exists here for which the influx of newcomers and businesses have had a hand in leavening. But on the rolling land one can still imagine what it was like when Native Americans and new settlers like the Boone family lived here. There are many old farmhouses that give one an idea of what the county was like before it became recognized as a good area to establish suburbs for W-S.

Quote:
I'll probably retire there.
That's something definite for us. And to the poster for whom this thread is a focus - Dallas - puleeeeze don't park your family here, *sigh*, and say "oh, this is nice. the schools are good, the mall is close, the taxes are cheaper. I think we'll be happy here." I described this area as a "nuthin' " kind of place in a previous post. It is a nuthin' in the way that you won't find a TGI Friday here, or good clothing stores, or a place for the kids to be mallrats. You have to go 20+ freakin' miles to see a movie. But there is history and beauty here that make a deeper impression on those with an imagination - which is a balm for which the more shallow things like chain restaurants and Big Box stores don't fill. I suppose that is something that you don't look for until middle age, but at least expose your kids to it. They may glaze over at seeing such things, but it will make an impression on them later when they remember it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 AM

72 posts, read 117,869 times
Yes the land is sooo pretty there. We were in awe of the rolling roads and all of the pretty roads we did go on. One I can remember and thought was just great was Country Lane (?). I think that is right. Loved that road. We were also amazed that it was June and I could ride with the windows down and it was awesome! It was actually not a million degrees.

I would quote you silverwing but I am sorry I have not figured out how to do that as of yet. But believe me when I say those things such as malls and movie theaters are not on our agenda much as a family. I will not allow my kids to be mallrats. We now have to travel more than 20 to get to a mall or movie theater. That happens maybe once every 6 months. I want to be able to expose my kids to rich history, beautiful scenery and lots of other things besides malls and riff raff as my oldest calls some people. No offense to anyone. I want my kids to enjoy a simpler life and teach them values. They do enjoy sports so hopefully the schools will at least have baseball and a football team. That will do us just fine. And a local diner would be nice to patronize and support as well.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
*heh* Mocksville would make a good transference to Jerusalem's Lot. I'm trying to think of what structure would be fitting as the Marsten House; you find a lot of spooky old abodes if you go poking around the back roads of the county as I loved to do. There was one old plantation; weathered and drooping; out on Farmington Rd. I rode by one day on my motorcycle, gawked, and turned around for a closer look. The effect was somewhat dampened by the fact that a single wide stood alongside, but I noticed a solitary old man standing in the weedy yard, staring back at me. After a moment of mutual eye contact, he slowly lifted the gun that had been at his side. My thought: "time to go!"
That is the Hunt House, also called the Dalton-Hunt House! It has a very creepy history. I did not realize just how creepy until years after I left. Even the local stories I heard growing up paled in comparison with what actually happened. Frances Casstevens, a local historian in Yadkin County, has written about it in a couple of her books. I have always gotten odd vibes along that entire stretch from the County Line on Farmington Road to Huntsville.

Quote:
Really? No Cooleemee Plantation; no Hinton Rowan Helper; no Thomas Ferebee; no DANIEL BOONE?

I was surprised, at the initial drive around we made while looking at property in the county, at the number of historical markers dotting the area. Frankly, I had never heard about the specific area where Boone lived, just that it was "in North Carolina". When I learned that our new home played a major role in his family's life, I was somewhat scandalized at the inattention from people in this county. "Daniel Boone! ... why that's a .... I mean ... he's a BIG DEAL in American history!" I stuttered. Being originally from the Midwest, I had visited his last home near St. Charles, Mo several times (actually his son's house. Daniel died there). People make a fuss about him there. He's a somebody, even though his mark was actually to be decrepit, regretful and die, there. Yet, in this area he had a family, hunted, was chased around by Indians and hid in a cave on the Yadkin ... and everyone says "meh."
Amazing, isn't it? I never learned until I did personal research about ten years ago that Daniel's Boone's first home after he married Rebecca was down on Bobbitt Road, just a mile or so from where my property lies. There is no marker or anything. There are a few markers about Cornwallis's army marching through Mocksville in the Rev War and Stoneman's raid in the Civ War, but they don't nearly convey what actually happened.
Every time I get out to Davie, I try to take photos of some of the old houses and barns that are falling to pieces, part of a vanishing history.

Quote:
Uhhh .. yeah Spouse goes to a local barber, I patronize a beauty shop attended by a many-generations native. Hit one of those kinds of businesses on a busy day and you'll hear a lot of interesting things. Still, the people are friendly in an off-hand, interested in you because you aren't a local and therefore are a strange person-kind of way. And we prefer to patronize those kinds of businesses because we are genuinely interested in the natives of the area; we want to get to know our neighbors. We aren't the kind of newcomers who wanted to ghetto ourselves in one of the Transplantville subdivisions. In patronizing businesses like that, we came to a better understanding of how some of the critical issues have been viewed by the natives....
I stopped going to places like Miller's and C's because of what I call the "Mocksville Stare": you walk in and a huddle of good-ole-boys are lined up at the counter, and they stop talking like in a Western Movie, and stare at you belligerently like you have no right to be there. I usually go to Clemmons to eat out, or to some of the places on the corner of 158/801. may just depend on where you go...

Quote:
That's something definite for us. And to the poster for whom this thread is a focus - Dallas - puleeeeze don't park your family here, *sigh*, and say "oh, this is nice. the schools are good, the mall is close, the taxes are cheaper. I think we'll be happy here." I described this area as a "nuthin' " kind of place in a previous post. It is a nuthin' in the way that you won't find a TGI Friday here, or good clothing stores, or a place for the kids to be mallrats. You have to go 20+ freakin' miles to see a movie. But there is history and beauty here that make a deeper impression on those with an imagination - which is a balm for which the more shallow things like chain restaurants and Big Box stores don't fill. I suppose that is something that you don't look for until middle age, but at least expose your kids to it. They may glaze over at seeing such things, but it will make an impression on them later when they remember it.
Yep, there is something to said for "boring". If I want excitement I can always jump on a plane and go to NYC or the like. At home I value peace and quiet more than anything else.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM

2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
That is the Hunt House, also called the Dalton-Hunt House! It has a very creepy history. I did not realize just how creepy until years after I left. Even the local stories I heard growing up paled in comparison with what actually happened. Frances Casstevens, a local historian in Yadkin County, has written about it in a couple of her books. I have always gotten odd vibes along that entire stretch from the County Line on Farmington Road to Huntsville.
I checked Google books:
Death in North Carolina's Piedmont: Tales of Murder, Suicide, and Cases Uknown By Frances H. Casstevens

One can read the history of the house there ....

All I can say is YIKES!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I checked Google books:
Death in North Carolina's Piedmont: Tales of Murder, Suicide, and Cases Uknown By Frances H. Casstevens

One can read the history of the house there ....

All I can say is YIKES!
When I was young the only thing I had heard about the Hunt House were vague stories that Jack Hunt was some sort of serial killer. I blew them off as just being Halloween fables. I used to go camping along the river bottoms, and it was a very eerie place where strange things happened. But if I had known the whole story, I might have gone camping somewhere else! The Bahnson House in Farmington is also reputed to be haunted.
There is a marker on the Yadkin bridge in Huntsville that mentions a skirmish at the Shallowford between Stoneman's raiders and local Home guard/militia in 1865, but what I have discovered is that Stoneman's cavalry did not cross at the ford at all. Knowing the Home Guard/milita were waiting, they went further south and crossed the Yadkin roughly behind the Hunt House, and continued on to Spillman Road.
The standard book on Davie history is James Wall's book, which is available at the library in Mocksville for $35, I believe, and well worth every penny. I understand that Mr. Wall is sometimes available at the library to talk to people about local history. The library also sells a fine book on architecture in Davie with loads of photos.
In his book, Wall doesn't talk much about local militia activity in the Civil War. This may have still been a sensitive subject at the time he was writing. (Discussions on Civil War forums can get very heated on this issue even today.) From other sources I found that several companies of Davie Home Guard/militia were sent to Yadkin County to deal with deserters and Unionists.
For some years I have been trying to figure out the exact route that Cornwallis took through Davie during the revolution. the library also has copies of the Hughes maps for sale , showing the original land grants in Davie and prominent settlements. This has Cornwallis's march marked on it, but with no modern references points.
There is an old story about the road that goes by the Davie Hospital. Supposedly if you stop at the stoplight around midnight on a foggy night, you can hear a horse clopping down the road, which is supposed to be a phantom dating from colonial times.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,596 times
I moved here from Pa in 2004 and absolutey love it here! I have a great home within walking distance from uptown Mocksville and am putting up a sign today to sell by owner due to needing to down size. I will be looking for a smaller home here in city limits because my kids and I don't want to leave Davie County! I love the small town feel. We can walk to the 2 schools, park, library, up town for an ice cream cone (Car show or entertainment), and even the ymca! Not to mention the new Lowes and Walmart are only1.5 miles away. We have a small hospital, urgent care, Walgreens, Foster's Drug Store, Family Practitioner, Vets, everything you need here. I am a nurse and it is only a 25 min ride to Winston Salem where there are two large hospitals. I love it here !

Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 9,454 times
Yeah, I totally get the Daniel Boone thing. There's a festival now, although I've never been to it, so I can't say much about it. I don't even know when it is, or how many years it's been going on. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that his parents are buried here in the Joppa Cemetery beside the old Wal-Mart (now Peebles). I've been there about twice. First time as a kid with the YMCA. I stepped on someone's grave and it sank down. eep.

Random bit of humor - when I came here as a second grader to live, for some reason I thought Davie county was named after Davey Crockett. (Shut up, I was 7 and didn't know how either's name was spelled.)

Also, just as an FYI my neighbors are trying to sell their house. So, if anyone is interested in living in Mocksville, but also being close to Yadkinville just shoot me a message. Also as another FYI we're dog people here and if there is a leash law in this area, no one follows it. I've only seen a few strange dogs running loose though, so it's not really a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point