Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM

72 posts, read 184,829 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move to Mocksville and took a vacation there last week. We really enjoyed our drive through the main street area the beautiful rolling hills. If you live there how do you like it? It seemed to be a really nice place to raise a young family and enjoy the simple life. What are your complaints if you have any? Concerns? Does it snow there ever? Any areas prettier than the others? Just the main street with the old beautiful homes and HUGE Magnolia tress were breathtaking to us. We live in FL and have never seen Magnolia trees that large and lush. What are the property taxes like? Utilities? We have a 2100 sq foot house here in FL and our property taxes are 3200$ last year and insurance 1800$. That is high to us and would love a break from that. How do you like the schools? I have heard the elementary schools are great and that the high school is overcrowded, but that they will probably build a new one before I need it. Any input both positive and negative will be anxiously awaited!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,292 times
So you like our pokey little town?

We've lived in Davie County since 1997; like it very much. There is a mix of developed and undeveloped areas that gives those interested a choice in housing. Land values have escalated with the increased interest over the last decade. Where we paid ~$5k/acre for raw land when we first moved here, today you’re looking at 12-20k for an acre – some of those parcels are without any sort of utilities installed. If you buy a lot in the subdivisions, you might pay the same; having access to utilities; but get a smaller lot. It all depends on how much work you want to put into it. Zoning, except on the eastern side (the folks who govern Bermuda Run are taking a tighter rein there) and in areas controlled by developers, is sketchy. I’ve seen McMansions next door to dumpy single-wides.

The downtown area is noted mostly for courthouse activity; a variety of businesses have come and gone. The historic area is very nice. A little known fact; one that Davie County is finally trying to elaborate; is the presence of Daniel Boone and his family. His parents (and one of his brothers, I believe) are buried in the cemetery on 601. It's next to the dying strip mall where Peebles is located (Food Lion and Walmart were once there).

Check this link for recreational ideas
Davie County, North Carolina - Chamber of Commerce - Community Profile (http://www.daviecounty.com/commerce/communityRecreation.asp - broken link)

Tanglewood is just across the Yadkin River, in Forsyth county

Forsyth County > Tanglewood Park (http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/Tanglewood/ - broken link)

While a new soccer park is on the Davie side of the river
Twin City Youth Soccer Association

Property taxes - check this and make a comparison between other counties
http://www.dornc.com/publications/5yr_tax_rates.pdf

Utilities are going to be based on the part of the county where you live, I guess. Duke Power provides part and then Energy United - an independent provider - covers the rest of the county. Considering some recent storms that knocked out power, the coverage provided by Energy United has always been reliable.

Schools - not having kids, someone else will have to talk about their quality. A new middle school recently opened near Advance, there are several elementary schools and - yes - one, antiquated, overcrowded high school. People have been squabbling about the solution to that for years. Two voter mandates to build a new one were voted down, mostly because of the economic disparity between the wealthy eastern side of the county and the poorer west side. A new high school has been proposed to be built toward the eastern side, without any clear assurances that those kids on the western side will not be left out in equitable education and opportunities. If SOMEONE would just say "YES, the kids on the western side are going to receive as complete an education as those going to the new high school on the eastern side" then the rancor would probably simmer down. Everyone would get on the same page.

As far as picking a place to live, I would highly suggest engaging several realtors - we have the big ones, like Century 21, as well as local people - and looking over the entire county. In particular, note the situation of water and sewer services. Those are not provided over the entire county. Having gone thru the process of putting in a well/septic tank, and maintained them, I'd suggest trying to find an area where at least city water is provided. And don’t be surprised if the Clemmons/Lewisville area, over in western Forsyth are suggested. There are advantages to those municipalities while staying near Davie County.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 14,031 times
I like it here. I just bought a house out in the county.
I was told the whole county is on town water.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM

63 posts, read 125,355 times
I absolutely loved it! Drove thru for the first time and thought that mocksville people have it right! Decent property sizes...no overcrowding. A little green between neighbors. THAT is what I thought North Carolina would be like, but was mistaken when I drove through Iredelle County! lol

Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution3 View Post
I was told the whole county is on town water.
Nope. Far from it

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,549,726 times
Davie County is OK as long as you don't have kids. Davie High is horrible & over crowded. They also put more emphasis on sports than they do education. My brother moved there (Bermuda Run West) in Advance (Davie County) but chooses to send his kids to school in Clemmons (Forsyth County) for much much better shcools...other than that...there is nothing wrong with the area. Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 14,990 times
I haven't read the other replies yet. Your stuff is in bold.

That said.

If you live there how do you like it?
My mother's side is from here. I lived here when I was 3 and 4 and again when I was 7 till now. I did live else where for a few years (college.) It's okay, definitely not the best. I like that I can go to the city (Winston-Salem) and come home to the country. I lived in Greensboro and High Point and didn't like being so close to my neighbors. I live on land that's been in the family for generations so I may be a bit biased. I'm also closer to Yadkin county than I am Main street.

What are your complaints if you have any?
Too religious. I'm pagan, but do I feel like I can tell people. Uh, no. Sure it's got that small hometown feel where everyone knows everyone else, but that's also the problem. Also there is NOTHING to do here. The one thing I miss about living in cities is how close everything was. I have to need several things before I strike out. I can't afford the gas to leave my house for just a loaf of bread.

Concerns?
Not really. Maybe I don't see it all since I live closer to Yadkin and am a homebody, but if you're of a religion besides some form of Protestant you may want to look elsewhere.

Does it snow there ever?
Dear goodness yes! We get a gob of snow every few years. It's not too bad, just know the rules of driving on snow, ice and heavy rain. You cannot go 65 if there is snow on the ground. Don't use your cruise control in the rain.

Any areas prettier than the others?
That's a matter of opinion. So I can't really comment on that. I don't live in the town area. Where I'm at there's far more land between houses and more trees. I do like the old houses in the town though, but I don't think I could stand living that close to my neighbors.

Just the main street with the old beautiful homes and HUGE Magnolia tress were breathtaking to us. We live in FL and have never seen Magnolia trees that large and lush.
Those four trees in the Town center? I don't think those are Magnolias. I think those are oaks. Unless you went driving around randomly. Then again I haven't been to the town portion of Mocksville in a while.

What are the property taxes like?
I rent from my aunt and uncle so I can't comment here.

Utilities?
I'm gonna get a big personal here and share this months bills with you. I live in an older, small home.
Your energy will be provided by EnergyUnited. This month it's $100.
Cable/Satellite depends on who you choose so I can't say there. Last time I checked Time Warner wasn't available as a phone service out here so, Yadtel it is. I have no long distance or caller id and my bill is $45.60. Oops forgot last months's bill. So around $20. Water is around $20 every other month.

How do you like the schools? I have heard the elementary schools are great and that the high school is overcrowded, but that they will probably build a new one before I need it.
Don't count on there being a new high school any time soon. We take forever to get anything done. It was crowded when I graduated in 2001, but it didn't seem that bad. I graduated in 01 so I don't know what the social structure in the schools would be like now, or the abundance of rednecks in tight Wranglers with dip in their back pockets. (I have nothing against rednecks, but how noone seemed to gather that the round buldge in their back pockets wasn't bubble tape is beyond me.) Although I did find it amusing to be a 3rd generation War Eagle. Okay 2nd gen. When my grandparents went there they were the Rebels.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM

14 posts, read 24,016 times
I moved here about two months ago. I really like living here. Very quiet, slow paced. I also do not believe in organized religion, but that has not been a problem meeting people around here. If anyone asks about what church I belong to; I manage to change the subject, ask them a lot of questions about themselves; or tell them the truth.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM
rsa

10 posts, read 21,203 times
Originally a Yankee, I lived in DC (get to know it- that stands for Davie County NOT Davidson County!!) for 9 years before moving over to the far-side (Forsyth County). DC was a great place to raise little ones, but once it hits the school years, you may choose to move. There is a real chance of (and no one take offense PLEASE) your child's teachers saying things like "We don't got none of that here" or "Don't be going and doing none of that stuff". So, we home-schooled until later Elementary years and then we moved them to Forsyth County private school. I would say that the Advance area is less likely to have "country speaking folks" as many who live there are transplants.

That being said, we loved our time there. Yes, it is small town where everyone knows each other and what is going on ( just pick up a copy of the Davie Enterprize). Your kids accomplishments - Big and Small- get put in the paper, much to their delight! Your day in traffic court does, too! haha
Folks HELP each other out. When people ask you where do you go to church--it's NOT to make you a christian - they just want to make sure that you feel included. They will just as likely add an invitation to lunch afterwards to meet some of the neighbors. They have a great Christmas day parade where all and sundry participate or watch.

When our children got into middle school, we felt like we needed to move closer to W-S. Our kids were on year 'round sports teams that took place in Winston. We lived on the far side of Davie and it took 35 mins to get to town. Had we lived in Advance, we probably would have stayed.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM

14 posts, read 24,016 times
I live about a mile from downtown. Easy 20 minute commute to all the shopping in Winston-Salem. People here are nice and caring. Utilities are low from other parts of the country. The"Big snowstorm" was mostly gone in a couple of days. Streets are plowed. Most snow is gone by the end of the day. I have lived in areas that the snow you get here would be called "hardly nothing to brag about." I grew up in this area but have been gone for the past thirty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point