U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 AM

273 posts, read 851,169 times

Advertisements

Not to beat this dead horse again, just looking for peoples opinions on Satellite TV reception. I have had cable everywhere I've lived and never ventured over to satellite. Now I'm pondering that option as Time Warner's HD channels are getting to be very sketchy at times (pixelated and unwatchable). I've toyed with the idea of going without TV and using the internet as my source of TV, but the wife won't agree. So I'm considering Satellite, but from my personal experience at other peoples homes, when it starts to rain, you lose signal. Is this your common experience? It seems that is the most common time I watch TV is when the weather outside won't cooperate, but if you can't watch live TV, then what's the point? Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM

138 posts, read 367,504 times
My personal opinion is that I have had far fewer issues with Direct TV than I ever had with cable (regardless of cable company). I do occasionally have a bad pixelated image when there is a HEAVY rainstorm of VERY high winds. But that is only 2-3 times a year. Other than that, in almost 5 years of Direct TV service I have never had any problems, aside from a fried TIVO box. With competetive pricing in cable and satellite, I would never go back to cable unless there is an outstanding deal that makes it worth the extra headaches.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM

254 posts, read 826,183 times
Cable or Satellite, you'll deal with poor video quality (by today's standards). The signals are drastically compressed for both. What you need to consider is 1) When it comes to signal quality, what is "good enough" for you personally? 2) Satellite companies seem to provide better customer service than TWC, which has some of the absolute worst customer service that I have ever experienced, 3) Satellite signal does still suffer during storms and high winds, 4) Satellite companies still haven't developed a dish that prevents your home from looking like it's inhabited by white trash, 5) Satellite companies do not offer affordable high-speed internet bundled with TV. At best, you'll be able to get DSL bundled with TV, which might be fast enough for many users but is excruciating when you're accustomed to cable broadband. My personal choice was to do away with pay TV years ago. I use a cheap VHF/UHF antenna bought from Radio Shack in the 80s to pick up local stations; most in 720p or better (and some with better video quality than satellite or cable because they're not so compressed). I keep it in the attic with the coax wired to a splitter that serves 3 TVs. I get about 30 individual stations, with some overlap. All other TV viewing is via internet, for which I use Road Runner (terrible customer service, but the best we can hope for until FiOS and other options become available). HULU and other websites, as well as Netflix (which offers streaming content at passable quality), fill in the gaps.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 17,431 times
I dumped TWC several years ago due to there ever increasing prices. I now have Direct TV. Can't says its great, but not terrible either. dishnetwork allows two teles to be set up in initial packages and has a broader range of packages available in different price ranges.
Make sure you have a clear view to the south at about 45 from horizontal. if you take some time with considering where to place the satelite, its not too much of an eye sore. We placed ours on the back corner overhang opposite the driveway and it is not visible from the road.
you will lose service in heavy rains and high winds, though when we get them they're generally gone in short order.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,320,032 times
The day our satellite was installed I wished I could sue TWC for ripping me off all those years, DirecTV picture was that far superior. You will lose signal during a serious downpour, heavy snow or ice. I can't say I have lost signal due to high winds. Though with satellite subscription equal to cable I'm considering going the Cohaagen way.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 PM

20 posts, read 55,953 times
We had DirecTV for 6 years and absolutely loved it. Technology has gotten much better and our satellite only went out during really strong storms. And I have a weather radio to keep me advised whenever the satellite did go out. We have moved and now have Time Warner Cable which is TERRIBLE. I only have it, because the porch on our apartment faces the wrong way for satellie and there is no other cable service available in our area. We are praying that AT&T U-verse comes to our area soon.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,201,129 times
We had Direct TV for years and just switched to Dish. Dish is cheaper and we had a problem with Direct TV about adding a line. They wanted to rip through the wall. Dish did it without any problem or making more holes. Other than that, I would only have satellite-either one.

In two years I have lived here I have lost the picture twice. One with Direct-the other with Dish. Very bad storms both times but we only lost it for less than a half hour if that. Also, when we were in Florida Direct TV stayed on for us until the electricity went during Hurricane Wilma. Our neighbors lost their cable very early on. And didn't get it back for weeks. Ours came back with the electricity.

Just got tired years ago of cable raising their prices every ten minutes and then charging for more channels.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM

62 posts, read 168,812 times
I have had Direct TV for 6 years now (first in Sacramento and now in W-S) and have overall been VERY satisfied. Like a previous post noted, only during severe storms do I have some pixel related problems which are temporary and self-correcting. Personally, I would not go back to Cable.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM

273 posts, read 851,169 times
Thanks for the assistance. After another weekend of not being able to watch shows that I wanted to because of the issue that doesn't exist (according to TWC), I think my mind is made up. I have a dish on my house already, though, it may need to be upgraded as it is a couple years old at least and you can only see it from the backyard.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM

254 posts, read 826,183 times
Those with satellite - What do you use for internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point