Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:33 PM

930 posts, read 717,849 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just love this forum, everyone has such great info. My husband and I and our 2 girls(8 & 4) will moving from Fl next summer. My husband will be relocating to greensboro. I'd like to live somewhere NW of greensboro in a good school district in a family friendly community. We're an active family and like our kids to be involved in everything(Karate, dance classes, going to the theater ect.) I've been reading alot about the greensboro area. We would like to be about 30 miles outside of the city. Can anyone please tell me how far it is by miles and by driving time, Greensboro is from the Virginia border? Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 PM

80 posts, read 461,746 times
Greensboro is about a 45-minute drive from the Virginia border. I would think that you would want to stay in NW Guilford County for easy access to both Greensboro and Winston-Salem and kids' activities.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
Are You crazY??? I'm a kid and -with my mom- I was reading the threads...I was standing up and she was sitting- anyway Do not move. Especially if your kids have many friends I just turned 12 recently and I am very sad because we just moved from Martin County Florida to Suburbs of Greenville N.C. It's a big cultural change from Florida to N.C meaning accent and ways at school, although in Greensboro it may be more comforting then around here. Well good luck anyway! I hope everything works out bye.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:42 PM

I couldn't be any more sane. I'm from NY and my husband is from Gorgia. We have visited Georgia several times. We can get used to the accents and are excited about the change. We both miss the change of seasons and would love to experience the snow, no matter how much r little it is. I have taken both the kids to buffalo, ny last winter and they love the snow. It was the first time in 13 years that I have seen it fall from the sky and I forgot how beautiful it is. My daughter is in 1st grade now and though she has a few friends, none of them live real close by. She is very excited about our move and all I hear when we leave the house is "It's so hot out here" They hate leaving the house especially during the summer. It's so hot, you cant even breathe. We'd rather stay home with the A/C on. We hardly ever swim at our beaches and all though we have passes to Busch Gardens, we only go during the cooler months. We visit Walt Disney world maybe once every other year.
We rent a house now but my mom owns a small 2 bedroom condo and she an hardly afford it anymore. Her mortage went up as did her homeowners ins and hurricane ins. She says she pays more for ins than for her mortage. She pays basic utilities and she doesn't even own a car. She'll probably move with us. Theres' just nothing here for us anymore. Greensboro sounds like it has everything we drive about an hour away to do in Tampa. I think we will like it there. Are there mountains near greensboro? Now my husband drives 30 miles to work even though it takes him 1-1 1/2 hours to drive through the clearwater traffic. So I know he wouldn't mind the drive if we could live in a nice scenic area. Have to see those beautiful leaves in the fall. We're tired of the heat, the hurricanes, & the bugs. I need to see some color. We need for Christmas to feel like Christmas again and not just another day. Who wants to wear shorts on Christmas? Not us!!! I want my children to experience
seasons, see snow,catch lightning bugs, and be able to play at the park without complaining that their sweating(year round) Florida is nice to visit September thru march, but you'd have to be crazy to want to live there. I'm getting out. And good luck to everyone else who escapes to. They wont regret it.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Well if you had been in the area recently you could have seen some Va. mountain snows. There was snow in the New River Valley which is southwest of Roanoke. Actually there was snow in Roanoke about 1 hour in 45 minutes two weekend ago. My blog has a picture of my newly cut grass with snow on it.

Most winters you can find some nice snow about an hour northwest of Roanoke though it isn't too unusual for there to be snow in Roanoke when NC misses, though sometimes it is the other way around.

You can find a few snow shots of Virginia on this site that I maintain.

This is a shot that I use to keep me cool in the summer.

I call it Snow Cake (http://coastalnc.org/snowcake - broken link). It was taken on our deck in Roanoke, Va. a couple of years ago.

Good luck and may you enjoy a white Christmas one day.

Last edited by dsobotta; 04-17-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Broken url

Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Wow, those are great pics. Thanks. You'll never see a beautiful lawn like that here. All the lawns are fried from the sun and lack of rain. Ours are filled with dirt and weeds. We tried everything to save it but I guess we just dont have green thumbs. We never go to our beach to see the sunsets, we get eaten alive by no-see-ums and mosquitos. I hope to see a sunset like that over a beautiful lake one day. Oh yes, and one day, I will have my white Christmas again.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
Have y'all looked into Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Belews Creek, Mayodan or Eden? They're in northwest Guilford County and Rockingham County.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:22 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
i moved to nc from fl too and I would actually move back to fl if I could...loved it down there!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,338 times
Me Too!! Love the laid back,casual Florida lifestyle! Hate cold weather!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 139,617 times
If you want your kids to have a decent social or school life, move to Orange County near Chapel Hill and make hubby commute to Greensboro. It's less than half hour commute if you live in Northern Chapel Hill. And, trust me you will enjoy the quick jog to Southpoint Mall from Chapel Hill, not to mention just the aesthetic view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point