U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 67,543 times

Advertisements

Hello people,
I am french and I might move to Greensboro as from next October for a year. I have a job opportunity at Volvo, but before taking this big decision, I was wondering how fun is this little town? It seems to be a nice and cool place to raise children but what can we do when we are young and single?! shopping? bars? clubbing? activities? sports?

-Where is the best place to live considering Volvo's location?
-Do I need a car?
-Is is a young city?
-Will I get bored?

Please tell me more about this town!

Thanks in advance

Dona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,896,733 times
Yes, there is shopping, bars and clubs. I can help with the shopping, but I know little to nothing about bars and clubs. Not my scene. Especially being married and a mother.

I don't know where Volvo is, but the best areas in Greensboro to live are in the northwest part of the city. Also, I hear there's a lot of revitalization going on downtown and condos are being built or buildings are being converted to condos.

We have a bus system, but you may need a car to get to some areas. I really don't know much about the bus system.

Greensboro has a few colleges (UNC-G, Guilford College, Bennett College, NC A & T; I may be forgetting one), so there are a lot of young people in their twenties.

We also have some lovely parks for walking, jogging, biking, or whatever. I'm not really familiar with any other sports or activities there may be here. I don't participate in those kinds of activities.

Pilot Mountain, Stone Mountain and the Blue Ridge aren't too far way. Plenty of hiking and rock climbing. There are also llama treks, white-water rafting and canoeing. Among other activities.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Thanks for you reply. Just a bit more informations
Is it an expensive town? How much I need to live correctly?
$40000-$45000 before tax?

Merci!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 AM

I don't think it's expensive. Especially compared to larger cities in NC and states like California and New York (which can have some pretty ridiculous housing costs). Being single, it will be easier for you.

This is what city-data says about Greensboro's median income, house/condo value and rent:

Quote:
Median household income in 2005: $36,733 (it was $39,661 in 2000).
2005 median house/condo value: $134,900 (it was $108,600 in 2000).
Median gross rent in 2005: $665.

The counties north and south of us (Rockingham and Randolph) are cheaper (as are some other nearby counties) when it comes to housing and county taxes, but that might put you a bit further away from Greensboro than you want to go. You certainly wouldn't be able to use the bus system.

I wish you all the best!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM

41 posts, read 182,452 times
Default Greensboro

I would expect you will be working at the Volvo plant off I-40 and 68 (2 - 3 miles south of the airport). Therefore, there are numerous options for you to rent or buy lodging. West of Volvo is Kernersville, further south on 68 are numerous new developments as you travel to High Point and NE is Greensboro. There are alot of new condos going up downtown Greensboro which might fit your lifestyle. Greensboro has a good downtown scene where younger people hang out. Speaking of that, good selection of rentals and possible roommates over around UNCG (University of North Carolina at Greensboro). Might be able to put your native language to use as a tutor. New bus system runs between UNCG and downtown Greensboro to bring the students over for a night on the town. That helps prevent driving under the influence which is a priority for the local police in preventing. Based upon the salary range you gave, you should have numerous options in finding a place to reside that fits you. You will either need a car or a roommate that has one because you will want to visit other areas here. Everything is pretty spread out, therefore if you want to visit the mountains, coast, shopping in Raleigh or Charlotte -- you will need access to a car. Oh - as for sports -- do a search because I and others have discussed that topic before. In short, if you want an outdoor life style, gym, etc. you can find it here. Hope this helps....

Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 30,289 times
Default I am french too and moving to greensboro too!!

And all those answers have been pretty useful for me too!!!
great posting on this forum by the way
Cheers

Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 AM

Hi!
Can I ask you when you are moving? How old are you? Are you going to work there? I am glad to see that there will be others french over there! I am still hesitating to move, i have others options...

Old 03-01-2008, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 15,135 times
Default Still looking for an activity? Try horseback riding!

Hi, I see that you message was posted a while ago, but if you are still looking for activities, horseback riding is fun, great excercise! You can try Emerald Farm 336-259-6588.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks!
actually i have been here for 3 months now and it is great!
horse ridding? never thought of it.... but why not.

salsa and volley ball are more my type of activities!
If someone is playing at the sportplex on wednesday night, let me know how it is!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM

I'm glad things are going well for you. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point